Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Buntline Special A/Modified Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mattbee, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mattbee

Mattbee

Well it took me a little longer than expected but I got the holes for the cross member drilled. I drilled them and 2 3/4 and took them out to 3in. If you look at the pictures you can just see the radius that I am going to make for the very front of the 2x4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

3. Mattbee

Mattbee

Not much new. I have started to make the plates for the back where the rearend bolts to the frame. I am using 1/4in thick plate. It is going to be 1in wider on all sides than the 2x4 (4x6 plates) with 4, 1/2in bolts on each side. I am also going to start on the sprint mount. I am hopeing to learn how to use the mill at school this week so I can make the sprint mount. When the car was built in 1960 it was made so the front end pivited, so if the car torqued all 4 wheels would stay on the ground.

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey Matt, How long did you and your Dad stay at the show ?,.... For those of you who never met Matt,... I think you would like to know.

Our own "Mattbee" made a new Friend today, as legendary Gene Winfield asked if he could join him and his Dad for The Circle of Champions Brunch today!,.. Talk about the same but different,... There was Gene Winfield at 84 and Mattbe at 16 enjoying each others company,... talking about there shared passion in Cars,.... Good going Kid !!!

5. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

WOW! Is this a neat thread, or what? I met Dudley Proctor the first time he came to my local track Central Michigan Dragway (now the Mid Michigan Motorplex) in 1960 with a bunch of other Detroit guys for an ATAA regional. Liked the guy, LOVED the car! That same year I announced the first-ever pass E.J. Potter made down a drag strip with "Bloody Mary 1". And, that August, about the dozenth run by a very new and unique dragster - Walter Arfons first Green Monster jet! Quite a year.

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Now ya' gone and done it Jon !:cool:............ I bet Matt will be tracking you down like a bloodhound,.... And then try to extract every ounce of information from you like a FBI Interrogation !,...... Good luck trying to excape without getting infected with a good dose of enthusiasm !

7. Mattbee

Mattbee

Dad and I stayed till 10:00PM. We had a great time talking to Gene!

Jon, are you going to be at the Detroit Dragway Reunion?

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Actually the steering arm you have will fit 37-41 or 42-48 Ford spindles and has no place on the 32-34 spindles you have which already has the steering arm on the driver's side spindle. Not only are the holes smaller but they are too close together. No biggie see below.

You have 2 choices...trade the 32-34 spindles for 37-41 or 42-48 and be able to use your bolt-on steering arm OR use the arm as trading material for other parts you end up needing.

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

Matt currently has a pair of 37-41 spindles,..... (picked them up last Nov.)

12. Mattbee

Mattbee

This photo and the other one posted are two of my favorite photos. The other one posted was in Hot Rod Magazine when they did a article on the car. I believe this photo was an unused photo from the Hot Rod magazine article. It looks like it was taken in the same place.

13. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

14. Mattbee

Mattbee

Well lately I have been pretty busy but I have been able to a little bit of work on the Buntline. I started to on the front of the frame to put the radius in. I am going to cut the sides out and leave the top of the frame rail on (This is all on the front) and then bend the top down to fit the radius. I have also started making the plates that will hold the rearend on. The way they mounted the rearend was they put a piece of 2x4 coming off of the rearend with a plate on it, then on the end of the frame rails there was another plate and the two sandwiched together. I am using 3/8 thick steel plate with 4 1/2inch grade 8 bolts on each plate. I still have to drill the holes in the plates. I hope to get more done this weekend!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Mattbee: Sorry for the late response. Will not be there this year. I have decided to completely retire. Last and final appearance stateside will be May 5th during the Tucson Dragway Reunion at SIR.

16. Mattbee

Mattbee

You probably don't remember this, but I was the kid that came up to you last year at the Detroit Dragway Reunion and asked if you remembered Gene McCrickard.

17. Mattbee

Mattbee

Got some more work done on the car. I started to mock up the front axle. Put the spindles on along with the spring perches and mockup batwings. I am making some bushings for the spring perches to go on the shackles. I also cut the radius in the front of the frame rails today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

Looking good Matt,... Just so you know, That 32 Heavy belonged to Frank Mack for around 30 years,.. It sat under a big bush at his home at 8Mi. & Randall,... Until the guy you got it from bought it.... Clyde knows all about it.

Frank would have gotten a kick out of you and would have been really interested in your project. I am sure he would be very happy your using it on this car.

Keep up the good work Kid...... :cool:

19. Good stuff! Glad to see it starting to shape up.

20. Mattbee

Mattbee

Two more fun photos!:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey Matt,.....

Seriously,.. wear leather gloves when your using a cut off wheel... I'll bring you a pair if you'll use the.

22. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Small point but you need to swap the batwings side to side. If you order a new shackle it from Speedway, $19.95, you get the bushings with them.

Ron

23. Beau

Beau

Love the history and the build! You are very lucky! Awesome!

With leather gloves, this happened.

You can never be too careful. Just when you feel comfortable...

[​IMG]

24. Just in regards to grinding, may I sugest you cover with thick blankets that jukebox, as the hot grinding shards will embed themselves into the glass and surfaces, rust with humidity, and look really craphouse very quickly.

Cheers, and keep at it,

Drewfus:)

25. Harms Way

Harms Way

I think he is trying to replicate the Buntline special as close as possible to the original,.. Those are actual 32' Ford shackles like the original car had. He has a few detail pictures of the original batwings, And I think he's going to try to replicate them as close to the original as possible as well.

Your right,.. you can never be to careful,.. But the leather gloves have saved my hide a number of times,...... Cut off wheels can cut through them and right into you, if your not careful. But just the other day, I had a wheel grab a piece of steel on me and make about a 3" slice on my glove,.. only ended up with a small cut on my hand. If I didn't have the gloves on, it could have been much worse. There is no substitute for being very careful,.. but when luck runs out, it's better to hedge your bet with a first line of defense.

When I come down state on Tuesday, I'll bring you some gloves Matt.

26. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

If that's the case, I bought a set of very nice repo shackles from Snyder's for $16.95. It also includes the bushings.

Ron

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

Good point !,..... Here ya' go Matt,.
    [​IMG]

<table><tbody><tr><td class="part"><label>A-5304</label></td> <td>Front set
    1928-31</td> <td>$16.95 / set</td></tr></tbody></table>
    http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/search.php?q=Front+spring+shackles&x=78&y=9

28. Mattbee

Mattbee

Well today was a very exciting day!!! Dad and I drove over and saw our friend Dave Crane! Dad and I alway enjoy going and seeing Dave and Cora. I learn so much and Dave knows so much about the car! In January I had bought a in/out box and adapter for the car, it was coming from Wisconsin, I talked to one of my friends and he and his brother in law were nice enough to help me out in getting the parts to Michigan.(I owe you one Harry and George) When they got to Michigan they ended up at Dave Cranes. Dad and I drove today to pick up the parts along with some other very cool stuff. Dave has the original rear end and torque tube from the Buntline Special! Dave was nice enough to give me the original torque tube and backing plates and let me borrow the bells. (Thank you very much Dave, I owe you one!) Words can not express how excited I am!!!!!!!!!!:D These parts are going to help me out alot! Here are some pictures of the parts! I can't wait to go over to the barn on Sunday and keep working on the car!!!!!!!!! I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Harms Way

Harms Way

Congratulations Matt!,.... That's awesome !,..... Your coming right along, keep up the momentum.

30. Mattbee

Mattbee

Got a lot done today on the car! I finished making the bushings for mock up. I will buy the shackles posted above and use the bushings for final assembly. I also put the rear end together with the torque tube and put the in/out box and the adapter on the block. Tommorrow I am going to start putting the front end on the frame and get the castor set. I have a one inch bolt that holds the front axle on the crossmember. The bolt goes through and pillow block like holder on the spring and a tube that is notched into the crossmember. I am going to start on that tommorrow. I also got the crossmember trimmed down a 1/4 of a inch.

Its starting to look kinda like a car but I gotta put the parts in the right places.

[​IMG]

Making engine noises!:D

[​IMG]