Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Bull Valley Gorge Accident

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crookshanks, Jun 24, 2013.

1. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

thats an acceptable way to park in Cheese land? lol.:D

2. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I'd want NO part of that, bro.
    Especially since you said, "no one really knows what happened".

I saw the movie Christine.
    That's plenty motivation right there to stay away.
    FAR away

3. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

That truck is a legend; moving it would be like yanking the cars out of Cadillac Ranch and restoring them. A great story, and I'm glad you shared.

4. If you guys read all the links the road has be widened since then and the truck is now part of the rock bridge over the chasm. It ain't going anywhere!

Model T1 likes this.
  5. Leave it to rest in peace like your family members..,and the engine isn't five years old, its nearly 60 years old, and after being in the weather all that time, there isn't anything worth saving!

6. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Low mileage, one owner....

7. Anyone tries to salvage something from that truck..,St Peter is gonna woop your ass when you get to the "Pearly Gates"!

8. Tony

Tony

I have to add to my other post.
    I'd want to explore the truck, NOT attempt to remove it.

9. Best story and pics on here in a while, thanks.

10. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Very interesting story. Why the heck is there a road up there in the first place?

Model T1 likes this.
  11. Damn, that sucker is wedged in there!

Sam

12. You live in a very scary world, don't you? You can't even hide under your bed with these phobias! God only knows what could lurk there!:eek:

To the OP, it is my guess that the cab has probably been explored numerous times. With an anchored rope that is pretty accessible.
    Thanks for the great story and photos!

I remember as a kid on vacation seeing cars in Montana that had been left where they ended up after accidents. Someone has to pay for the recovery, and in a different time it didn't seem worth the cost.

~Alden

13. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

As a kid I always wondered about those cars at the bottom of the Rio Grande Gorge. I thought they were people that drove off the cliff having missed the bridge. As an adult I realize that they're stolen cars. I'd still love to see them up close.

14. henry29

henry29

I bet it ran when it was parked.

15. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

Well...just before it was " parked" anyway.

16. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

So, can you see those from the highway bridge outside of Taos?

Scramboleer likes this.
  17. Surely St. Peter realizes how hard it is to find good rear fenders for AD Chevy trucks.

Model T1 likes this.
  18. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

It would be very simple to recover this truck. Simply dynamite the bridge, collect the truck fragments from the bottom of the gorge, and rebuild the bridge. Easy.

:rolleyes:

Model T1 likes this.
  19. Ya good point, maybe it'd be some pissed off "Guardian Angels" for having to work overtime, while you were removing those fenders.

20. kenna

kenna

I love to find stories on this cause my grandpa was one of them that got killed in it.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

What a story. Ifn it was my family, I'd do a lot of research on the accident and victims - to get the story correct for the final time - and then have the state, park, whomever owns that land put up a nice memorial for them. And then let the truck slowly become part of the geology. But hiring some Army Rangers to rappel down and salvage stuff for the family might be a nice touch, like any stuff still inside, the tag, etc.. Gary

Model T1 likes this.
  23. Tony

Tony

I know this is an old thread, but now im interested to see more info on the Plymouth crash in Utah if anyone has a link etc.
    I tried searching online but dont have enough to go on i guess, i've found nothing.
    Tony

24. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Yep, at least 40 years ago.

25. kenna

kenna

no one knows what really happened cause it was the only the three guys that were there and with it killing all three no one knows what happened and some of them don't wanna talk about it my grandma still don't like to talk about it that's why they left the truck there and just covered it, that truck will remain there till who knows how long so everyone just needs to leave it alone.

Model T1 likes this.
  26. Kinda like your intro page here on the HAMB???no info on who you are,where you live,.age?????

Model T1 likes this.
  27. Eons ago ( the 70's)a friend and I stopped at a deep but not too wide ravine off the highway in the desert side of the Columbia River Gorge. At the bottom were a bunch of old cars and assorted junk dumped by locals. Must have been at least 100plus feet deep, maybe, 50 ft wide. Guess it was a fun thing to do!

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

"and then have the state, park, whomever owns that land put up a nice memorial for them. And then let the truck slowly become part of the geology. But hiring some Army Rangers to rappel down and salvage stuff for the family might be a nice touch, like any stuff still inside, the tag, etc..""

Really? Order a memorial? Just like that...

29. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

go see it 37°28'16.74" N 112°06'38.34" W

30. Road Runner

Road Runner

Experiencing the great outdoors infused with alcohol have created spontaneous legendary mysteries for ages.
    Not a great endorsement for seatbelts either.

Model T1 likes this.