Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Bull Valley Gorge Accident

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crookshanks, Jun 24, 2013.

1. badshifter

badshifter

It's been all over the internet for years. Even on the National Parks Info. Website....

How a truck came to be part of the Bull Valley Gorge bridge:
    An interesting story about the 1950s truck wedged in the slot canyon under the bridge is often told around the campfire. It's difficult to see from the road, now camouflaged by tightly packed dirt and rocks. The truck went over the bridge, but then rolled back into the gorge. Two of the men fell out of the truck and the other was removed. Although wedged in 1954 the truck remains, making up part of the narrow bridge. Be assured that as narrow as the bridge is today, it's wider than when this truck drove over it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bul...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Model T1 likes this.
  2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Recovering it would be both insane and idiotic, but at least it would be pointless.
    Let's set a time to meet there...early August would be good. I'll bring a chainhoist, who'll get the keg??

Hmmm...is there a Military Vehicle club around there? I'm thinking a tank recovery/engineering vehicle might work better than the chainhoist.

Model T1 likes this.
  3. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

I'll bring my Jeep and a come-along.

4. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks. That was interesting.

5. Tony

Tony

Im oddly fascinated with old car wrecks and would be one of the dumbass's to try and go in for a closer look, and risk my life doing it.
    How stupid, yet i cant help it. Hahaha

VERY interesting story.
    Tony

6. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Hey, I'll bring my new truck! We can do some poaching and honkey tonking while we're at it!;)

Model T1 likes this.
  7. fortynut

fortynut

Watch out for critters. Eagles, hawks, snakes, rats and mice that may have taken refuge inside and used the upholstery material, insulation around the wires, and anything else to build a nest. No telling what surprises of the unexpected and harmful kind that may lurk within, or without in the fenders, bed, and under the hood. Snakes follow vermin, and birds of prey follow snakes. We like to think of ourselves invulnerable until attacked by things large and small, including wasps, as well as mites that breed on birds. Those nooks and crannies certainly caught rainwater, useful to bugs that attract spiders --- some venomous. And, if flesh putrefied (excuse my objectivity that borders on insensitivity) no telling what form of toxic microorganisms may have been left behind, just looking for a living, breathing host. (In the South West there is also a risk of the hantavirus, transferred to humans who breathe in the dust of mice droppings.) There might be a horror movie just waiting on a victim to scream in pain and terror lurking in that stony perch. However, that said, forewarned is forearmed. Precautionary measures to deal with all the above and certain unmentionables that accrue from scenes of grisly death, even of loved ones (I know whereof I speak) tends to create an aura that makes pilfering and prying an intrusion into the resting place of folks since deceased, whose spirits might best be left in peace. Just sayin'. CE

Model T1 likes this.
  8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

It's totally hammered unusable junk thats only interesting because of the incredible position its in and the macabre story behind it.
    I'd say let it remain interesting...

9. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I would agree with letting it alone, and for it to remain a memorial to those who lost their lives there.

10. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Look's a little wedged in !!

11. morepwr

morepwr
    from socal

I fall, into that catigory too!:eek:

12. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Thanks for sharing. That is really interesting.

This is unrelated, other than it was another bad day in Utah motoring. All I know about this photo was that it was probably from NE Utah.

[​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  13. k9racer

k9racer

Bad MOJO.. After reading this thread I can feel bad vibes here in Alabama...The truck is a killer and every one has left it alone for over 1/2 a century for some very good reason.

14. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

People repel stuff all the time, what would be more dangerous than normal? Id go have a closer look if it was my family and id take a piece of it for my garage.

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

THAT is one bad wreck!! especially for having occurred in such a remote location with minimal traffic. Best I can tell, the remains in the left foreground is a '57/'58 Plymouth............but what in the world happened to wreak such destruction? Had to be some really high speed involved.

As for the OP truck...........I'm with those who say 'leave it be'.

Ray

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You live in a sterile oxygen tent don't you!!:eek:

Doc.

17. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Hee! :D

Dude....it was 60 years ago.

18. fortynut

fortynut

"When your Case is weak, argue the Law. When your Law is weak argue your Case. When your Case and your Law are weak shout a lot and beat on the table." Clarence Darrow

Model T1 likes this.
  19. I dunno, a guy could repel down with a cable if he had a long enough one, hook it on the frame on both sides, and have someone start winching on the other end.

Make sure to chock the wheels on the truck with the winch.

20. ........Excellent advice right there!:D

21. ...ok, I don't think that'll buff out!....(sorry, just had to say that)
    very interesting story, never heard it before, thanks for posting.

22. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

That 57 accident is pretty famous, too. There have been a lot of pics of it floating around.

23. That thing isn't going to winch out. Mother Earth has claimed it, through erosion and the shifting of the rock formation. You couldn't get that thing out if you had the Army Corps of Engineers and lots of explosives. Leave it be......It adds to the legend.

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

^^^^^What he said. It's a memorial with a helluva story behind it.

25. Re; the wreck in #45.
    How fast do you have to be going to rip an engine smooth out of it's mounts and off the transmission!?!

26. I don't know, but the battery is still in good shape and still attached to the inner fender.

27. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

....and yet leave the 1/4" air cleaner stud and wingnut perfectly in tact....some crazy unexplainable stuff goes on in the chaos of a crash.

Incredible story OP.

28. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

is there a link to more pics?

29. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

That is one crazy wreck! I'm with the leave it where it is crowd, and I'm one of those nuts who think anything you took from the wreck would have bad mojo. It would be mighty kind of you to repel down and leave a six pack of there favorite beer though...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Good thing this is not in Illinois..or you would get a ticket for illegal parking...
    Cool story and pictures !

Model T1 likes this.