Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. I think what Chip likes the best about the car are the stories he gets about each first-time rider attempting to get in the thing. Old fat guys aren't that graceful....
    :D

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Oh, you must be referring to the "Bodi mating with the 'bucket" story! I swear to God, it was either that of the worlds least attractive "pin up" pose!

3. Ha! In my mind it was the latter. You ARE going to reinforce the body lip with heavy duty tubing before I try that again, right?

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nah, It's tough! Hell, I'm a semi-old guy too. It's just a matter of practice. I had an older gal at the grocery store the other day watch me do my jump over the side with steering wheel in hand, and she said "you look like you belong in a sixties beach party movie doing that..." Thank ya mam!

5. endlessearth

endlessearth

That's a pretty cool compliment.

6. Word is she actually said, "You're the ginchiest!"

7. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

"Kookie, lend me your comb"

8. RAIL JOB!!!!!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know I checked California DMV a few years ago to see if that was open for a license plate. It was. I think I spelled it just like that too. I had second thoughts. A little too silly for me.

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

At least it would be something original or something that means something.

Up here a huge portion of the great uneducated masses think that a personalized or "vanity" plate is so that they can put their names on it. :(

Invariably we see some middle eastern name or whatever and I always think, I don't care what your name is, can't you come up with something a little more imaginative ?

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Myself, I've always wanted a personal plate that says "PLATE"... Or "BACK"...

12. I like your plate ideas. JW

13. I too don't understand why some people have plates that takes a rocket scientist to worl out what it says. Mine is a simple message that doesn't refer to the car but more about the way some Rodders here in NZ thought they could treat me.

Attached Files:

14. They don't get the simple ones either, I have JW1937 on my 37 Willys and I often get asked what year it is and that's after they have looked at the whole car including the plates, Go figure !! JW

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like it, I really don't like the "streetrod" script. And I'm not even a hater of the term streetrod :D

I just prefer hot rod :)

16. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know whip as much as I like your roadster Blue is right. And because this thread is about taking ugly out of Ts you really don't need the street rod script but the Ford script would really look great painted in a contrasting color. I too have to watch myself about adding stuff it doesn't need. I have done it and had to take it off.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, there is a danger in adding too much stuff onto one of our cars. That's one of the things that cause the T-Bucket to "jump the shark" in the seventies. When it became about who could hang the largest Whaling lanterns on the sides of the car, the purity was gone. Whip, if you dig your Street Rod script, that's all the counts. It's kinda like my elephant, something different. But I personally wouldn't add much more stuff... Love your plate though.

Went out this morning and took a 30 mile round trip to another section of town to pick up some bits and pieces for a pair of Brake caliper brackets I'm making for one of Roy's cars. We've been over 100 for the last couple of days already, so it's gettin' to be a bit warm running around in the "T", but stupidity breeds toughness! I stopped at a friends shop who maintains a collection of very high end '30s exotics for a personal collection, and his boss was there. Dale walked around the bucket in amazement that somebody was driving such a thing as a daily, but he was most fixated on my elephant radiator mascot. He tried to buy it from me when I explained it's ties to a Republican national convention.... No sale!

18. Thanks guys for the comments and boy, what a change here but for the better I believe after having a quick look around. You know, after I purchased that emblem I have disliked it and have kicked my own arse so many times as to why I picked that and not the HotRod badge. Gary the car is only satin black until I can have the metalflake Tangerine sloshed on with some pinstripes and then I still don't know if I would highlight the Ford Script. I may fill the holes then and not have any emblem either then also. On another site I have just had a discussion on fold down roofs with the zip up centre piece so that it clears the roll bar and interesting it was suggested that I should go the fibreglass roof hinged at the rear to ease entry and exit. I explained the mid 60's time frame I'm trying to stick too but sadly some people just don't get it.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey gang! Welcome home! I have some updates to show, but no time right now to figure out how to post. Maybe later tonight....

Whiplash, keep engineering and stick to your guns on the time frame. You can make it work, I'm sure. Ya know, a hinged 'glass top might not be too bad if it LOOKED the part of a traditional sixties top and was fabric covered...

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Wow glad the HAMB is back and looking forward to your updates Chip.

21. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

I was hopeful during the layoff, update, yours would be in color Chip.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope, still digging out from last fall's and spring's myriad of disasters and obligations. I still have a few things that I want to make work better and tune a bit more before I commit to blowing this thing apart and doing the deal.

I know you guys are just into spring at this point, but by week's end we will be over 100 degrees around here, probably for the next 3-4 months, so summer is setting in. We have already had a half dozen 100 and over days. Time to dig in, shut the windows down and stay inside unless there is work to be done. Work will now start at about 5:00am and shut down about 1:00pm, with occasional night time spurts out in the shop. Basically, the whole city is walking around in about the same depressed malaise that you guys back there walk around in before the first big snow storm. The only good news in this is that since driving time in the 'bucket will be minimal, I will probably have a chance to get more stuff done rather than be sprinting around town. still planning on driving it to L.A.R.S., and maybe with Judy aboard. We'll see if she makes it though.

Bulletnose26 likes this.
  23. So really is a good time to be painting a car in Aroniza..... one has a natural bake oven that is real cheap to run... We are 2 and 1/2 weels away from winter down here but the weather has turned on us already but in saying that, our winters are mild compared to what some of you folk get up there.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey gang. I said earlier that I would post some updates when I figured out the picture deal. Well, it looks like I have.

The scoop that JERRY found for me is now close enough to it's original shape that it could be folded into the mix. So now its on! It didn't have it's original base with it for mounting provisions, so I had to get a bit creative. I ended up using a piece of 1 1/4" X 3/8" aluminum as a hold down strap. I still haven't figured out a filter, so for a bit it'll be an on again and off again thing. I drilled the aluminum strap with 7/8" holes over it's length and removed the choke from the carb, so I think I won't be worrying about restrictions at this point at least. I believe I can get a small K&N type insert to make thing a bit more permanent. the scoop it's self will end up painted to match the car and striped in the planned black and white "Tommy the Greek" type tear drops. I can't stress how rough this thing was when Jerry handed it to me... I believe Godzilla actually DID step on it! More better now.... SAM_6028.JPG

Attached Files:

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

SAM_6029.JPG Hmmmmnnnnnn only one at a time?

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I also got the shocks mounted.... Sort of! More accurately, I got the shock bases mounted! I found out I made a bit of a mistake in my design. Unfortunately, I have to basically disassemble the entire front suspension to fit the arms in! Crap... Well, the good news is, if I can find the serrated Bellville type springs I seek, I can make this happen much easer. Time to dig deep and look and see what I can come up with. In the mean time, shock bases...
    SAM_6036.JPG SAM_6031.JPG

27. Can you throw a chunk of foam on the seat, too? Please? Huh?

---
    Sent from the pits of dispair app. Wirelessly, of course.

28. jerry

jerry

Good to see the scoop again! Looks like it belongs there!

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lookin good!

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey, it has a chunk of 2" foam in there already! Luxury enough in my book. The thing is though, my side has webbing, the other doesn't. I'm still waiting for Judy to notice and take the initiative to resolve that one....