Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. daddio211

daddio211

I'm not a smoker, so is that like the hot rod industry? You know, "Fast, good or cheap, pick two."

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

3. Yeah, not always, but for the most part, you get what you pay for.....
    Having said that, there is enough variety that you can probably find one you really like in your pay grade.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

For you guys suffering in the cold back east... I feel for ya! Here's the "T" in the yard this afternoon under somewhat "moody" skys...

Attached Files:

5. Yaknow, Chip,
    The more I look at your bucket the less inclined I would be to change anything on it....

6. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

a witch's tit in a brass bra has never sounded as warm as it does right now, thx for the thoughts :)

how the hell do you keep the top windshield from swinging...? As much as I like it as is, I swear I'm going to a one-piece

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The cones on my upper windshield seem to work extra ordinarily well. It does every couple of weeks drop to a vertical position, and I just reach up and loosen them, put it where I want, and tighten them up again. I swear I have never had a "T" windshield that works this well.

8. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

I've stripped one of mine from trying to tighten so hard, I've also replaced the swivels (thinking they were just old/worn) & nuts, tried various other things too...living on a gravel drive, by the time I get to the top of my road, the damn thing is swinging like a cat door.

I'm not convinced rods will help this problem either, plus I think they are ugly. I have a hose clamp around my left post just as a stop it & to keep it from swinging back towards me, the glare is horrible at night. I was thinking of just drilling two holes through my posts & running a couple screws into the frame to keep it in place...not ideal either.

When is it going to be paint time for ugly???

9. On a somewhat unrelated note, anyone who IS a fan of the late '60s and '70s T buckets with the ultra wide Firestone Indy rear tires, do you know if they were run tubeless or require tubes? My NOS 15x14 Halibrands have arrived (well, one of them anyhow!) and I want to get them mounted to the NOS Firestones Indys I have in the garage. I can't seem to find tubes for 17" wide tires that aren't for 34"-36" tall drag slicks.

Thanks,
    Steve

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Most of those FAT tires were tubeless.

11. Thanks, I wasn't sure as there is no marking on the tires that I could find indicating one way or the other - I'll see if I can get them mounted up soon!

Steve

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

13. loudbang

loudbang

Now you did it this brought back so many good old memories I spent an hour listening to the whole album once again LOL.

14. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

rad.

15. AndersF

AndersF

Thats a great song for the T.
    Link Wray has be my favorit artist for 35 years now.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have to explain that tune a bit. See, back in the eighties VWs consumed my very soul for quite a chunk of the decade. We had a cruising scene like almost no other in Phoenix at the time, and three nights a week it was possible to be somewhere in town with the club, looking for races. See, the group I rolled with was into packing as much horsepower into the things as could be packed, and we made it a habit of hitting the muscle car spots and picking up races with the unsuspecting Camaro, Mustang, Charger, Nova, etc. boys. By the late eighties, my "street car" turned mid 11s, and looked fairly stock.

Throughout this time, I had a Walkman. It traveled in the car with me at all times, as weight was an issue and stereo stuff was a no no with my crew. If I wasn't out racing during this era, I was at any one of about 15 punk venues doing that deal, so music was a thing with me too. A good friend made a mix tape for me for Christmas one year that was on one of those old Maxell 3hr tapes. Lots of punk, some power pop, some sixties hard stuff too. But in the middle of the tape was this tune. It always seemed to come into the rotation when I was out stalking that evening's prey... Once I figured out who it was and found out the name... How appropriate! It's been my hunting tune in my head's "mind tape" ever since.

17. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Ha! Awesome. Do you still have the old tape? I don't think I have any cassettes left that I hadn't worn out.

not quite on subject, but I found this video the other day, entertaining

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mr Powerchord hisself. Outstanding choice...:)

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You should have been here in Vancouver in the late seventies/early eighties. POWERHOUSE local punk scene, DOA, Pointed Sticks, Art Bergman and the Young Canadians, The Subhumans... The Smiling Bhudda, the Kerrisdale Arena, I was there for Elvis Costello on his first North American tour... It was quite a scene here. Great underground music scene, berserko street racing scene, it was an exciting place to be...

20. Yeah! I LOVE '60s surf guitar. Link Wray had his own style, slow strumming the power cords while the bass and drums are rolling in the background. So freaking cool, and every time you hear his stuff while driving, you slouch down a little lower in the seat, slide your sunglasses a little more down your nose, and hang your left arm out the window.

Here's a vintage gem that I found on YouTube from an obscure record label (Titan Records) from L.A. that features a bunch (24 cuts) of their stuff from 1959 to 1964. Track 5, is from a band called the Lancasters, featuring a very young Richie Blackmore on guitar. It kicks ass!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcUCnvR2RGg

Here's a fun one. Surf guitar, played by guys in FBI suits in Macho Libre masks. Yep, Conan O' Brian's favorite band, Los Straightjackets!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky1P0zEZIqc

If you want to hear some "late model" surf stuff, there's some great bands out there in very unlikely places. It's getting strong again, and there are websites dedicated to it, like www.SurfGuitar101.com and www.surfrockmusic.com

When I'm out in garage wrenching and throwing sparks, I'm usually cranking the surf stuff or some early Punk or New Wave.

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great tune! I remember that from "Desperado" and liked it enough to look it up. Excellent tune. back in the '80 my brother had a big block Chevy Impala and we used to cruise Westheimer and park. Then, when the disco's let out, we'd go looking for Camaros and Mustangs. This was OUR hunting tune. Punk was cool, till it got popular.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Any Sonics fans here? Seattle based band circa 1965/66, Grunge/punk granddaddys...
    First time I heard these guys was in the early eighties on Mike Wilmores "Rock Talk"on Co-Op public radio, man what a great show that was.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/20S_kwNb4rg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YXtuKsbORVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  23. My favorite..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVWAE6n_G4Q

The Sonics, Merrilee and the Turnabouts, Don and the Goodtimes, the Kingsmen, Wailers.... Yeah!

I should note that I saw all of 'em at dances 'back in the day'.... LOL.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  24. johnod

johnod

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

26. johnod

johnod

Who then?

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe the "Sex Pistols" or "Ramones". The guys you posted, I would almost consider folk rock. It's widely accepted as fact, that The Sex Pistols started the punk movement in '75.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Local band, one of the first times I took my wife out was to see these guys at the Railway Club, damn near ended it right there. Surf meets Sergio Leone...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BzPwi2jOdRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Goes back a damn site father than the stooges... MC-5, the Sonics, to name just a couple...

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I said it was debatable. I'm only going by what I remember and Rollingstone magazine.