Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

ANY shot of a Hot Rod, in traffic, is a cool shot, IMO. These guys who put 3,000 miles on their car in a year and call it "driven daily" crack me up. They must live on Belize.:rolleyes:

need louvers ? and brad2v like this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Took a grinder and wire wheel to the rear end, this morning. I'm still gathering the hardware to weld up my chassis, so in my spare time, I'm knocking out the shit work.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    brad2v, RICH B and AndersF like this.
  3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Is that an S-10 Fred?

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yes it is. I'm putting the 9" on hold for now. I rethought my purpose for this build. In the beginning, I wanted a high HP power plant, so a 9" was the plan. In the last month or so, I've decided on a tamer power plant, so a S10 rear (which is what I used before), will get the job done.

BUT..... I'm still saving for a 9".;) A friend is giving me a center section, so.... why not? I change directions so much, it isn't funny.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  5. Yeah!!! Here's a t bucket !
    Getting ready to knock a whole bunch of ugly off of this one.

It will not follow the tires thru a turn.
    Pitman arm is about 3" off the ground.
    Steering column is a joke.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

loudbang and AndersF like this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Wow! You got a good foundation, but man! That front suspension needs some serious undoing.

7. Is there any specific reason I would need or want an axle that's 50" wide on a T bucket ?

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

YES! So you could run big, HUGE, fat ass rear tires.:D Gawd, I'll never understand the logic in that look.:confused: Although, when I first got into T Buckets, I actually thought it was cool. Glad I out grew that phase.

need louvers ? likes this.
  9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

50" is awfully narrow. I think you might get into the bed sides or turtle deck with something that narrow. 56" to 58" seems to be perfect, with 60" pushing it.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think he means the front axle. I hope.

verde742 likes this.
  11. Yes, front axle at 50" KP to KP is what I was referring to above. That's what this one measures and it Seems really wide to me. Yet while looking for t bucket tube axles I see they are 50".
    Just wondering if there's some specific reason or something I might be missing.

As far as the rear axle goes it's about 62" wms to wms. With the big tires on it's 78" out to out on the tires. :confused::eek: She sits fat and wide, needs to be on a diet

12. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

And the Ackerman angle is the reason it won't corner.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Speedway has some at 48", which is a good width.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not sure why that didn't register, Guess I was still on Fred's rear axle. "Standard" early Ford was 48" always, and the Narrow option was always 46". Not sure where 50" came into the mix, but maybe I have just never noticed. I'm curious, I'll measure my car in the morning.

verde742 likes this.

15. Got a '33 axle on mine, little over 50", doesn't seem too wide. Built some with '37-'41 axles at about 48" and dropped axles at about 49" not any real difference in appearance. Never measured the MAS tube axles I had; but think they were 50" too. Of course I always had drum brakes; most of those disc brake kits add extra width and look a little odd spacing the wheel out from the kingpin.

16. Those front friction shocks look nice:rolleyes:;) JW

17. jalopy45

jalopy45

Good to see Chip back here, work and other car projects (45 Ford PU/Mini Bike/Nova Wagon) and old age is kind of directing me to possibly sell off my bucket project, only a month until Hot August Nights in Reno so it may end up in the swap meet.

18. That's sad news:( JW

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hit the drums with the wire wheel and a couple coats of primer. Might paint them tomorrow, if I'm "feeling it".

[​IMG]

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know Gary I don't know if I have another car left in me or not. Glad my roadster is finished. And I mean that, I can't think of another thing it needs. I do want to put air in the 48 Plymouth though. I need to get inspired and start in on that.

Fred "keep on keeping on" I look forwards to your posts. Even the small things like above.

Gary

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Just trying to keep things moving, Gary. Things will hopefully pick up soon.;)

22. I know how you feel Gary ,:( it took me half a day just to decide to crawl under the back end of my OT 71 Duster to replace the fuel sender unit in the tank. Job only took an hour. :rolleyes:

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  23. nobux

nobux

Fred, some 80's Camaro's and Firebird's have finned aluminum drums. I have a pair on my car.

Nothing new with my car, just been driving it.

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's great to hear you're driving it. That's what it's for! Since I sold my T Bucket, I've rarely miss it, as I'm going to make this one better. But today, 4th of July weekend, I missed it.......badly.:( But the longing and desire to get out there again is what keeps me going and building the best T Bucket I can. Have a great weekend.

Oh, I "got the feeling" and painted them last night, well early morning.:p I had to repaint them today because I didn't wipe them down with a tack rag.:oops: They're drying now.

From last night/early morning:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm going to be ordering my rear end set up very soon. I have a question for you guys. 36" or 40" total. That measurement is inclusive of the rear bracket and the rod ends. From your thoughts and experience, which would work best? The 2"x4" is the location of the transmission cross member.

36"
    [​IMG]

40"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  26. No pics for me Fred. JW

27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Fred I don't see the pictures either. Just some ??. That proves it nobody in the whole world can see the pictures. LOL

Gary

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You blew it Fred :D
    No pictures here either :)

29. nobux

nobux

Fred, with a 100" wheelbase, the front heim of my 36" radius rods are roughly in line with my transmission crossmember. With an stretched body, you could get away with the 40" ones. Really, I don't think there is any downside.

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sorry about that.