Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The welds Fred posted are well done. I would not say that practice is needed.

Yes, lets. Although the incredible welds thread is probably where you can find some of the machine like stuff.

6inarow likes this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The incredible welds thread was a favorite, when I was taking classes. There were a few guys, who with 2 semesters under their belts, thought they were good. Then, I introduced them to that thread. THAT shut 'em up.;) But like my instructor used to say, "Penetration is the main goal."

So, for a brake bracket, underneath a car, I think those welds are nice. The reason I showed them was to show that there are still companies making good parts. That's my bottom line. If I'm paying for something, I want it done right. CCR's parts are done right.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to use my friends welder to install my brackets this weekend as I had planned. But, I've still got a few things to sort out and there's no real hurry. I'll be using his MIG welder and while they won't be incredible welds, they will be welds with great penetration.

3. 6inarow

6inarow

big difference between being around and doing I wish I could weld like that. Wouldnt bother me to claim that weld and have someone say I needed practice......

4. They are not BAD welds, just utilitarian. In some cases they are better than show welds that lack penetration. ElPoalckos work on my front crossmember is mig and looks as tidy. TIG does not automatically mean a better weld. Notice how much stick is still used in Industry. The welds on the tranny crossmember Fred posted look much better than the pedal bracket.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Actually a well done Tig weld will be vastly superior to an equally well done Mig weld.
    That is an undisputable fact.
    The strength and holding power of Tig comes from its fine grain structure and superior fusion properties.
    The best quality welds on any weldable metals are done with the Tig process.

Yes a lot of Stick is used in Industry that is why a large portion of the training we do in teaching apprentices for their journeyman certification is stick.

There is a big demand for skilled Tig welders in Industry too for boiler and pressure piping and vessel work.

That is why I (we) also teach that as part of their training and in supplementary courses afterwards.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    dana barlow likes this.
  6. Well, if you are an instructor you will know that a good MIG and a good TIG weld will last well after the surrounding material fails. So, moot point.

7. Time for popcorn? ;) JW

tfeverfred likes this.
  8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Gosh, I hope not. This threads too good for that.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  9. Ditto Fred, quick, post another item of your build.............PLEASE !! JW

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Gonna be a while for that.:D Here's a vid of a nice little T Bucket.

whiplash1923T likes this.
  11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

12. Don't worry, Chip will be starting on his T again and said he would start posting

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's welcome news. Is anyone else doing anything T related?

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I will be in the garage tomorrow. :)
    Starting to build mounts for cycle fenders using some bicycle forks as material.
    The cycle fenders are ribbed fiberglass ones that I got from a fellow in the UK.

6inarow likes this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Cool! Look forward to it.

16. Im trying to get more miles on mine. Took it out yesterday for an hour cruise. JW

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    steel rebel likes this.
  17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I miss those days, sometimes. Hopped in for a drive, as soon as I got off work. I used to take 3-4 hour drives on the weekends. But as time went by, it became... boring. A few months before I sold my T, I caught myself making excuses to not drive. That's when I knew I needed to sell her and start another one. I missed building.

So, I spend my free time, observing, planning, researching and acquiring. My next goal is a rolling chassis. Baby steps and enjoying the journey.

Dick Stevens and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  18. nobux

nobux

I've been having problems with my rear tires. They're Hurst cheater slicks that I bought about 10 years ago. I can't get them balanced. One called for 13oz of weights and the other one needed 11. I spun the tires on the wheels, switched tires to other wheels, nothing. Around 60-65 mph, it about shakes you out of the car. I like the looks, but I think it's time to do some tire shopping. I've been looking at 265/75 or 265/70R15's for a nice tall tire.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not sure, but the age of the tires alone warrants replacing. I'm trying to remember my rear tire size, as it was very nice. Not too wide and tall. I think they were 265/75R15's.

20. Just took mine out again and got caught in the rain..........still great fun.:cool::D JW

21. nobux

nobux

The tires never saw any road time until this spring. Another reason for replacement, besides the obvious balance problem, is the weight of the tires themselves. The tires, of course, are recaps. They are HEAVY! You can feel the weight with every bump.

22. t-rod

t-rod

[​IMG]
    265/70 15 on my T, I like the height and width.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm using 255/70-R15 on the rear of my RPU. 155/80-15 on the front.
    I like the size and look.

24. nobux

nobux

T-rod, what brand are your 265/70R15's? I like the look and height of them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. t-rod

t-rod

They are Bridgestone Dueler H/L. My plan is to run the 130 club at the salt flats, if the salt recovers enough to run on, so I need tires with the proper speed rating.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Tease.:mad::D

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Coming soon. Along with my rear end.

[​IMG]

Or, these.

[​IMG]

I'm going for a "Lakes" look. Low, fast and streamlined. So, I figure "smoothies" will fit the bill. This isn't a "what do you think?" post. It's just what I'm gonna do and thought I'd share.

jalopy45 likes this.
  28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sweet!!! Go, man. GO!

29. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

@tfeverfred , I've got those black wheels on my F100 and love them. I chose the simple black center caps with chrome lug nuts because it's a work truck, but I like your thinking. I do like those Rocket Solids too. Whichever way you choose should look cool. I'm following along.

30. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Solids get my vote........makes the car build go in a specific direction though. At least to me...

Dick Stevens and jalopy45 like this.