Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, I wish you hadn't done that George! It was damn good tech. Damned useful too. And, it might have sounded like we were disagreeing, we weren't, we were going to different viable directions to get to the same goal, improved ignition over the points that are present. There just isn't the room to hide an MSD box on this car as I would like.
    I don't know of any way that these posts are saved, but if you can restore them, please do.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Way ahead of you! scan0008.jpg

shivasdad and volvobrynk like this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You wish I hadn't deleted it? Honestly, I wish I hadn't wasted the time typing it. Wont happen again...
    Wow, second time this week my daily bullshit threshold has been exceeded before 11am!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  4. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I just wish I had seen it haha

Thanks for trying all the same.

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks George. My Plymouth is slowly being brought into the fourth quarter of the twentieth century. It now has power disk front brakes, power tilt steering and an alternator. I have to admit it is becoming a pleasure to drive. Next air conditioning and maybe electronic ignition and an auto OD trans. I might pump it up to 20 mpg. I now get maybe 16 on a good day downhill with a stiff tailwind.

Gary

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

I'd like to see you repost them too, George. As has been said on the HAMB before, the haters will hate and the whiners will whine, but only the moderators (Chip, in this case) have the right to control the content. Thanks.

whiplash1923T and volvobrynk like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

I took jalopy45's comment to mean we should give up on all these old brakes and steering, and embrace our disk brakes and rack and pinions. Can you imagine disk brakes on the front of your T? When is the R&P being mounted?

Didn't think so. I think we are on the same page (except for the MSD stuff).

As for Bravado, I do drive a car with a flathead, '39 transmission, banjo rear, '40 brakes, and F-1 steering. But I don't drive it every day. It's got about 5,000 miles on it since completion, but I wouldn't call that outstanding. Many more around here with more miles on their traditional cars.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I use lumanition ignition in my Volvo. It runs like a charm, I have some issues with my "009"-style distibutor, like the one bug owners uses/used to want.
    It's a non vacuum, better curv, and rare. From the stock 122S withe the rare sport engines/North American spec. This is old fashion, simple and avalible. Both parts and Tech/hot line.
    This should be alot like the set-up chip talks about.

But I would love to learn more ignition set ups for my next gasser build.
    But Bear in mind that MSD stuff cost alot, just the fact that we need to ger them shipped from the States, just to safe some bucks and only ordre ones.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gary, I'll send you a pm later...Still steaming right now...And yes, 20 mpg should be a walk in the park.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

George, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Your writings on going through and shortening the slots on the Mopar distributor to allow more initial advance is something I have done on several occasions in years past, and was a well written bit on how far we go sometimes to make things work correctly. Trust me, thee are several people that roll their eyes and go comatose around the Phoenix area when they ask the simple question of me, "how do I make this work better?" As to the other bitching? Gotta remember, not everybody wants to work at this as hard as we do sometimes.

It's just that right now, an MSD box isn't in the wallet for me, nor with the shallow dash in this car is it very "hidable". Under the seat is out as well, as I have just enough room under there for my sample pieces, flyers, and picture book of stuff I've done for when I go to shows to promote my business. That and I have had very good service with the Pertronix product, and while not in the same league as the MSD stuff, it is a very worthy upgrade over the stock points in my opinion. It also has a tendency to get trashed around here on a fairly regular basis, mostly because of incorrect installation. I wanted to set the record straight and show what I was doing to solve the problems I created. Nothing more, nothing less.

falcongeorge and volvobrynk like this.
  11. I'm in the same category, George. I run MSD's in pretty much everything, because that's what I'm familiar / comfortable with. I enjoyed the tech articles as well. I was kind of lost when Chip asked about failed condensed symptoms, been too long since I messed with points. Fuzzy's post brought back some of it, but I'm still trying to remember something my Dad taught me about power in to the Distributor (as in the points) but no power out (spark) means the condenser is bad (or was it the coil.....power on the positive side with no power on the negative side meant a bad condenser)? I also run the MSD triggered by the stock EEC IV on my off topic blown Lincoln Mk VII. It saved my butt one day when my "waterproof" MSD 6BTM "missed, sputtered, and died" about 100 yards from the car wash I had just washed the car at (and yes, I was careful not to spray it directly with the wand, it was either just it's time to die (not likely, it only had about 10,000 miles on it over two years, or it wasn't as watertight as it was supposed to be)). Just unpluging the box from the EEC IV and plugging the stock harness back in got me running and home. Lesson learned.....I now have a spare 6 BTM and I don't care WHAT MSD says, every box gets mounted INSIDE the passenger compartment of the car from now on! I personally account for 1 6A, 3 6AL's, 2 6BTM's, and 1 7AL (overkill for anything I own right now, came out of my old dragster), so I'm not knocking them, kinda fond of them The T has a Crane Fireball box in it, don't know much about them, but it seems to work so far.....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  12. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know George I started to delete my rants of a page or two back but didn't. I might have been a little more diplomatic but I'm not, and meant everything I said. I think this thread needed a jump start and I now like where it is going. It seems we are all pretty headstrong and set in our ways except for maybe the owner of the thread Chip. He is the referee. And that is as it should be. In the immortal words of Rodney King I hope we can all just get along. Maybe we should all get together somewhere and duke it out. Or not.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Mine, with an aluminum headed "built" 360 and a Tremec five speed has put down MANY a mile at 20-21 MPG, and gone fast doing it. The O/D, the gearing, and lots and lots of tuning on the level George was talking about are to blame for those numbers.

14. Go away for a few days and come back to this pissing match:rolleyes:;)

15. jerry

jerry

I'm actually using a chrysler reluctor and pick up in a delco window distributor triggering a gm hei module on a couple of mine. Takes a bit to see what I've done but looks stock from the outside.

I have had terrible luck with uni-lites in the past so I'm just leery of optical triggers.

jerry

16. pitman

pitman

Sounds a lot like hot-rodding Jerry!

17. Right there with you on the Unilites, Jerry. Don't know about all optical triggers, but I've had my battles with Unilites as well. I "HEAR" they've gotten better, but I'm not wasting my hard earned
    cash to find out! The last one I owned is sitting in the top of my tool box, to remind me NOT to buy any more!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. jalopy45

jalopy45

I wasn't advocating throw out the old.. When you rebuild an engine now you replace the valve seats with hardened pieces. (not available in 65) but necessary with unleaded gas, using a new repro steering box or metallic lining brake shoes for reasons of safety and mechanical integrity. Just like using the modern tools, in 64 we didn't have plasma cutters, tig and mig welders, everything was cut with a torch, chisels or tin snips and put back together with gas or arc welding (should all the cars on the HAMB have to be built that way to be authentic?). And we channeled and chopped cars that way and got inventive like using a wheelbarrow for a recessed firewall or building our own log intake manifolds out of exhaust tubing. The Repro market is out there.

whiplash1923T likes this.
  19. jalopy45

jalopy45

The secret to Unilites is read the instructions, if not using a HyFire box you need to install a ballast resistor, if not you burn out the module, I buy all of them I find and rebuild and resell them at swap meets and 75% have burnt out modules because of this.

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, it's official, we threw the "Hot Rod Season "ON" Switch" last night... And I woke up to unspeakable pictures of the humble 'Bucket in compromising poses on Face Book... 10445516_1490438617872249_857920222421989408_n.jpg

I submit, this truly is WHY we can't have anything nice!

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It apparently was a blurry kinda night for some of my friends....

22. that's cheeky :D:D a bit bare faced:eek:

loudbang likes this.
  23. My eyes need soap.

24. Not sure soap is strong enough....it looks like you guys have way too much fun down there!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

with friends like that :eek:o_O:rolleyes::eek::oops:

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I did NOT need to see THAT...:eek::D

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My eyes :D and we will not bare with you on this one :D

28. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Lookin good. The bucket that is.

29. jalopy45

jalopy45

T bucket to Judyisms to proctology exams to technology disputes to proctology exams.. B-)

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, pretty much the whole spectrum, Jalopy45!