Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Big Stahu's shoebox build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milner3268, May 9, 2012.

1. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

Well after choppin the top with my club brothers Dennis and Ron in a very drunk weekend Im fianally gettin it done . This past winter I helped a few friends finish there cars for Detroit and Hamburg calvicade,I closed the doors a few weeks ago to get my stuff rollin,Its a 50 coupe chopped 5'' front 7'' rear did a maverick rear w/380's and a billet tracklock. 200r4 2400 stall comp rebuild,1964 327 365hp vette mill and most likely one of my 4 duece setups. heres some pics to get started and ill post more pics and info as I go .I hope you all like ,Thanks Darryl [The Big Stahu] Pres. Lost Kustoms cc SORRY I cant post pics ill try 1 at a time bear with me

2. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

Sorry ill keep tryin to post pics even one at a time wont work

3. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

Any one else not able to upload pics I cant even do one at a time . Thats why I spend so much time in the shop my computor skills suck

4. Hey Darryl this thread is useless without pics!

Good damn thing you can turn a wrench 'cause you suck at computers. :D

Screw it! I'll just come over to see it.

5. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

Pics my new camera was on the wrong setting so maybe my computor skills arent as bad as i thought [yea right] HA HA HA HA Ill keep postin pics to bring this up to date thanks

Attached Files:

6. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

And some more

Attached Files:

7. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Man, that's kicking some ass!!

8. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

Thanks Man , here are a few more bringing it up to date. these show the sail panels to blend the lines of the chop,also the canted posts and the louvered hood that only took us 86 beers to complete [we had some issues with the press]HA HA HA

Attached Files:

9. Yea and that was just the thought process!

Looks good Darryl! Haven't seen the hood till now.

10. sideweeler

sideweeler
    from searcy AR

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

12. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

Thanks again guys , Here are a few more . I used universal triangle style engine mounts which allowed me to place the engine where I wanted it . Hei dist . clearance ,stearing box clearance with manifolds,and allowed me to raise the engine and tranny mounting for a perfect driveshaft allignment,with a lowered suspension,as with any chevy/auto/lowered conversion the floor and tunnel need raising so mine is just a bit higher,Ill post more after a few hours in the shop this weekend Thanks For checkin it out. Darryl[THE BIG STAHU] Pres Lost Kustoms cc

Attached Files:

13. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

Ok tons done today , 3rd member installed[the pics are from last week as they are pics of pics as i had issues with my camara] dual master and brakes installed and bled I also forgot to mention I used a 64-67 nova rear sump pan and pickup so all steering components have no interfearance.I also tossed on the hood and my new rims for a teaser peek and im stoked . Also I forgot to menton Im bustin my ass to have this car ready for SYRACUSE NATS OLD SCOOL REVIEW JULY 18 2012

Attached Files:

14. clarthepio

clarthepio

Hey are you keeping that black painted bit over the rear quarter panel? I think it might look pretty sweet !

15. Darryl is that the engine out of the Vette or the El Camino?

16. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

17. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Looks good Big D. The boy comes home from school in time for Mothers day.Good to have another set of hands again,and I can come up for air.
    Whats the shop night schedule??

18. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

Greg, the engine is from the vette, and Jim I dont have a set schedule in the shop yet im goin in every spare moment i get as you know my schedule is crazy ill let you know when ill need that last minute push but right now im makin tons of progress with the back driveway blocked and the shop door locked you know how krazy it gets here when people see the rods out and doors are open and im the first to stop workin and hit the beer machine HA HA HA but seriously im doin the final welding and fit and finish so bein in there alone works best for me but i will need help a little further on thanks

19. Glad the rear end worked out for ya Daryll. Looks a lot better in the car than behind my garage buried in weeds.

20. jgang

jgang
    from hamburg ny

looking good daryll. those skirts look killer as does the chop. cant wait to see it in person. take care

21. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

Yea art thanks again for the rear i found a billet 4 pin trac loc posi on line bearings pressed on and shipped for $380 and put a set of 380 gears in and jim thanks im bustin my ass to have it done for syracuse and then jesse's burnout party the week after more updates this week

22. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Lookin' Good Daryl! Can't wait to see the finished product. If you need any help, just give me a holler I'd be more than willing! Syracuse and Then Jesse's for burnouts, Man its gonna be a good summer!

23. Hot Rod Trash

Hot Rod Trash

Lookin damn good!

24. Now which is dragging it's tail more, you or the ford ?...lol
    Looks good, some nice lines to it bud.

25. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

Thanks Phil[swade], yea im draggin tail every mornin Ha Ha HA . im puttin a ton a time on it with the little time i have ,you know its hard for me to say no to help someone else first but its commin along quite well . a little more weldin on the inside of the roof an inside of door tops, floor tunnel then final body work ,the rest of the car is rust free. more photos to come

26. If I had your time I'd sleep in more! :rolleyes: :D

Hey Darryl what did you have to do to the floor/tunnel?

27. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

Hey Greg[waddaya care]them ford shoeboxes have an almost flat floor,so i cut the tunnelfrom the rear axle to the firewall if you look back a few posts there is a pic of the interior that shows the cut area

28. Okay I did catch that now.

Question: Is it just the way it seems in the photo or is the engine sitting on the high side?

The reason why I ask is because the tranny as well as the oil pan appear high.

29. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

Hey Greg , first ill again say the floor on a shoebox is almost flat,with that said I built my own engine mounts used a nova ft sump pan, these also have rear steer clearance issues to deal with,as well as steering box clearance . SOOOO! with that said, i wanted tro run stock manifolds, hei dist,and an auto. overdrive . so my engine placement is unique to my car all the above works the only difference is a slightly higher tunnel and a slightly higher trans hump at the firewall however I also used the engine /tranny placement to make sure i had the ideal driveshaft angle with the lowered suspension. Im kickin ass and things are goin well till im out a cash HA HA HA but syracuse ol skool review still is my goal and looks on tract . MORE to come

30. Well if anyone can make it work it certainly is you!

Keep up the great work! :cool: