Register now to get rid of these ads!

The "Big Boy"

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by flatford39, Jul 28, 2019.

1. I saw Big Boy today in West Chicago. It is big. The town was buzzing.
    I asked an engineer what fuel they now burn to make steam. "Used motor oil". 0729191322_HDR.jpeg

Phil

2. flatford39

flatford39

My wife went there this morning to see it leave. She was really impressed with it moving on its own power and she could care less about my car collection. If it got her attention it must have been a sight to see.

3. Found a few videos of it under power

It looks to me like the helper engine is doing all the work. At least at start up
    it does.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    ALCAN AV8, i.rant and tractorguy like this.
  4. It has a 4-8-4 helper in this video. Fantastic video.(both from youtube)

ALCAN AV8, i.rant and 32Dan like this.
  5. Here is an old one for the East coast guys 2-6-6-6

i.rant and 32Dan like this.
  6. It is really cool to see live steam under way. But my favorite engine will neve see the tracks again unless I come up with several million to restore it. That and the cal. Railroad Museum let it get put back into service. The 'Cab Forward' (sorry no pics) but imagine a inter city trolley car on so many steroids it has ability to do what the Big Boy can do.

Mike

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  7. The Cab Forward was very cool, but not a patch on the Big Boy for power, ie; tractive effort. JW

Dean Lowe likes this.
  8. I finally got to see 4014 today heading for North Platte and also rolling through the rail yard. :cool: JW
    [​IMG]