Register now to get rid of these ads!

the best excuse youve heard for not for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by restin&rustin, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry

My fav - I can't sell that ..... I buried my wife's body under there!

2. James427

James427
    BANNED

All, good stuff. I've heard all of them and then some. I got tired of hearing that crap so now I just leave notes. The notes say that if the 19XX Whatever might be for sale, could you please give me a call, thank you. I get a fairly good response from the notes and if it is something I really like I repeat the process about once every 8 months or so.

Well one day I leave a note about a 65 Malibu SS vert rotting into the ground. About an hour later I get this nasty call from this dude just cussing me out about the car not being for sale and what the fuck was I doing leaving notes in his mailbox about buying HIS cars, etc etc etc. This went on for about 3-5 minutes when finally he kind of started to run out of steam and I could get a word in myself. I asked him if he had read the note I left. Kind of puzzled, he said "yeah". I then asked if he read the part about calling me if the car was for sale and he said "yeah" again. I asked him, "well, is the car for sale?" and he said "hell no!" So I then said, "my note said ONLY CALL ME IF THE CAR IS FOR SALE SO WHY THE4 FUCK ARE YOU BOTHERING ME BY CALLING ME WHEN IT'S NOT FOR SALE" and hung up on him. Childish, yes, but it sure felt good :)

3. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

Sold my first car I fixed up at 14 back to the origional owners brother in law. By 15 I wanted something pre'65. Been passing a vision in the weeds for awhile at a local farm....Shit the dudes great-granddaughter was my kindergarten and 3rd grade girlfriend. It was an early 50's Dodge pick-up cab in the weeds. One day after I sold my first car ('69 Futura/Falcon 2dr.) I told my pops about it. We cruised passed. He said he saw it there too. We hit the old timer up and got the story of "It ran when I parked it.....It's fluid drive........". Dickhead parked it in '73 (this was probably '90) we asked if we could cut it out of the weeds to look at it, and he said ok. It was rotten cab fwd to the bumper, and no bed. We went back and gave him the ol' $50 or keep it. He kept it. It's gone now, but I found it. It's rotting in the weeds behind a hillbilly photo studio. They can have it. Some things I wished I'd never step into, but their are a few that I'm glad I didn't.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a fun thread even if I need to get to bed.

I sold my 51 Merc that I had for 32 years when the buyer caught me at a weak moment and made a cash now offer.
    In the mid 70's a buddy in central Texas had a guy flag him over in his sweet little 55 Chev 2 door post. Asks how much he will take for the car and off hand he shoots the guy a figure he thought was crazy high and actually was for 1974 Texas prices. The guy pulls out his truckers wallet and asks if hundreds are ok. It was loaded on a convoy truck along with several other nice Texas cars to head north to one of the bigger cities.

5. Satinblack

Satinblack

I was getting a price for upholstery one day at a local shop. As I was standing there I could see the back of a storage lot and there sat a 56 Ford big window pickup. I headed over to the yard and asked them about the truck. They laughed and said "It has been here since the place opened and the guy will NEVER sell it".

I left my number and told them to give it to him in case he wanted to talk trucks or if he needed any parts. Well I never heard from him till one day about a year later, I get a call at work and this guy says "Hey you interested in the 56?"

I am sitting there trying to think of who this is and what 56 when he says the one at the storage lot. I say yes, but I havent even looked at it.

He says meet him there and I can have it. I'm like yea right. So I go there and out front he is standing there holding the title signed and all. He says you take care of moving it out of the yard.

I insisted on giving him some dough. So we agreed on $200!!!! I met him at his house and got the title :)

6. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

I call bullshit on that story, im sorry but it sounds unrealistic

7. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Pullin this stunt around here would have you in the hospital with a gunshot wound. Not the smartest thing I've heard someone do, and you undoubtedly ruined any miniscule chance at possible purchase. Way to go, dumbass.

8. Frank L. hughes

Frank L. hughes

36 Chev. truck, been sitting for 30 years, ( since farmer bought the place ) Gonna fix it up. Yeah, Right. Frank:rolleyes:

9. im gonna restore it! (dont be fooled by the walker and oxygen tank)

10. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

A 39 for a "Stock car"? What year did that happen in?

11. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I been working on a guy with a 51 Merc for over a year. His excuse is his buddy wants the car. I called him a few times but he hasnt gotten back with me.
    Now we keep asking him, your friend ever call you back?
    No.... so you want to sell the car? Well my friend wants it.........starts all over....
    IM going to start throwing money down when I can swing it and see what he says then....

12. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

While I was in school I found a really nice '34 Chevy 3 window coupe in a back yard, just visible from the street. I knocked on the door, "Not for sale, it'll go to my kids." A nice guy, he showed me the car, it was better than it looked from the street. The he asked me if I like motorcycles. I said sure. He took me in his basement and showed me three old Indians, all in original paint. A 1912 twin, 1913 twin, and 1914 two speed twin. These things were worn, but still shiney! This all happens about 1972. I keep in touch, we have fun talking, nothing is for sale because the kids will get it all. I get married and move away. About 1980 he calls me up and tells me his rotten no good three kids keep borrowing money and never pay anything back. They don't work regular, etc. He was ticked off! The '34 was already gone, and did I want the three Indians for $5,000? I said "I'm on the way with cash!" I showed up with the green, we loaded the three bikes, and then he said he had some extra stuff for them. He pulled out a mint '13 engine, some spare sheet metal, a pair of mint wheels, and the original '13 license plate for the '13. How much? Nothing, they are part of the deal! We stayed in touch for many years afterwards. I still have the '13 stored in a safe place, and no, it isn't for sale.

13. SlamIam

SlamIam

"Absolutely not! If I sold you this car you'd kill yourself in it, and I'd be held responsible."

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's not just people's response to "Is it for sale?", there are plenty of assholes who ask the question, and then won't take a polite "Sorry, it's not for sale" for an answer.

Last summer my son was home visiting, we took my '48 Pontiac convert to a local Diner (at the Gilmore Car Museum) for lunch. While eating and having a conversation with my son, some guy approached in a Hawiian shirt, straw hat, Ray Bans and big belly, and asked if the convert were mine. I said yes, and he says "I really like it, is it for sale?" I said thanks, and no, it's not for sale.

"You don't understand", he says, "I REALLY like it. How much?" I thanked him again, and again politely said it wasn't for sale.

Rudely, and quite loudly, he says, "Listen, everything is for sale, and I like that car. Now, what's it take to buy it?" At this point other people in the diner had turned around and were looking at us. I could have been a jerk, and gotten back in his face, but I just smiled and said again it wasn't for sale, that my wife would be pretty mad at me if I sold the car, I'd much rather sleep with her than sleep alone, I'd like to finish lunch with my son and would he mind leaving us alone.

He stood there for a few just staring at us, and finally left. Ninety nine percent of the time when someone asks if something is for sale, they have no intention, nor the means to buy, so I don't mind blowing somebody off who's rude.

Brian

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

^^ in response to the above..
    I would have shot him a figure that would have put Me, My daughter, My wife and my daughters children to college..add on a hasta down in Peru on the ocean. a 32 roadster, and a Saleen . a 50' yaht down in one of those cool islands..or hell buy the fuckin island too. and than with enough cash to support it all untill my last child is dead..theres my price pal ..time to put up or shut up..

see what his response to that would be.

16. BlackCherryImpala

BlackCherryImpala
    from Girard, KS

I haven't read them all yet but that is a great story. Made me laugh.
    My 64 Impala SS sits in the drive sometimes and I get a lot of callers. They also stop by asking about my wifes hot rod red Nova. I don't mind people stopping by and asking though, as long as it's a reasonable hour. Heaven knows I have knocked on a few doors. One time I was driving my Dad's 64 Impala Convertible and had a guy insist that he was going to buy it. I told him it was my Dad's and I couldn't sell it. He got downright mad at me. I told him after all the work we put into it, i am sure my Dad wouldn't dream of selling it to a rich pr*ck like you anyway.

17. skidsteer

skidsteer

Best excuse, or worst? -- "I'm saving it for my nephew." (as it slowly turns to rust, and sinks into the topsoil)

18. schulze

schulze
    from arizona

Great story Flats!

19. I was at a drive-in restaurant on cruise night with my Dodge Coronet 500 a while back. Guy comes up to me and compliments me on my car, usual blah blah blah, then he asks me if it's for sale. I've had this car since 1980, and am the second owner. I told the guy that "it's not for sale", then he gets kind of snotty and says "Well, everything has a price, doesn't it?" to which I respond, "NO, not in my world, it's not for sale, now go away!" He asks one more time. I finally said "OK, asshole, it'll cost you a hundred grand. Pay up or fuck off!"...and I said this rather loudly. People are looking over, and the guy shrinks off into the darkness. So, what rolling marvel did HE drive in for this little cruise-in? An early '90s Corvette. Go figure.

20. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

no word of lie.
    me and a friend show up to property witha buncha cars. and a handfull oif 67-69 camaros. just sitting there,, we just set foot in the driveway and a frail old man comes out with an old duel side by side barrel shotgun

guy "What do you want"
    friend "wondering if any of these cars are forsale?"
    guy "hell no i sell these on ebay! , now get off my property!"

yeah we left really quick that time hahahaha

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Best response I ever got was "Harrah's just bought the whole yard, lock stock and barrel. Turned out to be true...there was a brand new fence around the entire two-acre site within a week. I won't recount all the treasured vehicles this old duffer had in that yard. Basement of his house had at least twenty old NCR cash registers...the old brass and nickel-plated units. In the middle of the basement garage was a 1926 Buick runabout with the dealer banners still draped across the rear. Perfect 1946 Ford coupe in the other garage - 12k miles or so. Must have been fifty various vehicles in the yard and several in the barn and garage. Nearly all were under cover...he passed away and Harrah's had them all moved out in less than a month. This was many years ago, obviously.

dj

22. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Wow, If he was fighting in Viet Nam in 56 :confused: he had to be really hard core !,.... or French,.....:D<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

23. Rockys Rod Shop

Rockys Rod Shop
    from nj

I found my dads old c/d from 66 i was looking for it for 7 years
    The shop i was working at a guys looking at the dragster i had tells me the house next to him has one in the yard. So i go to the house after work and its my dads old car. I tell the guy its my dads old car and i want to buy it he tells me his kid moved and left it but he dont want to sell it he chains his dogs to it! Well the next day i come back with a steel poll with two i hooks welded to it for his dogs and some cash for him. Now its in my shop thank god dad made that sucker out ss tube he found at work on the nite shift.

ROCKY never have to menny race cars

24. billylo

billylo

I have a man locally that owns a 55 Chevy 2 door hardtop with factory Air Cond. I asked him to buy it and he told me he was going to be buried in it. I didn't know what else to say.

25. Circle City Kid

Circle City Kid
    from SoCal

i heard of a story about someguy that wanted to buy and old station wagon for real cheap and the owner told the guy its not for sale because he's got to take his dog to the vet in it

26. scotts52

scotts52

I know of this old guy, gotta be in his 80's. Whole lotta cars. Couple model t's but mostly Chevy from about 41 on. Says he wanted to get one of each year, but no tri-fives. He also has a couple Ponchos. No he is not restoring them and has not intentions of it. He just likes to look at them. Says his son thinks it all a bunch of junk and says they'll probably get rid of all the cars once he dies but till then, he's going to enjoy looking at them. He also has an all original 59 Caddy convert that he bought from the "gypsies" many years ago. Has had multiple offers, says one was from Hollywood, but he won't sell.

27. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Its about 1980 and I see this kid driving this really fu*king "CLEAN" 1950 Olds tudor Rocket 88. Car is beautiful black lacquer paint, nosed and decked, doorhandles shaved off, moon discs, wide whites and with a really super lowering job. I run the kid down and ask if it could be bought. No, it was fixed up by my dad and I'm just driving it to school, so I can't sell it. Fast forward about 1985 I see the car and another kid is driving it. I chase him down and get the story, it's my dads and I'm driving it to school. The other kid was my older brother. Ok , fast forward about 1990 I see this young girl driving the car and I chase her down and get the story: It's my dads and both my older brothers drove it to school and now I'm doing the same. "It's not for sale."
    Couple years later this kid is doing some welding on my 32 frame and I tell him the story about this 50 Olds. He says "I was the second brother" and the car is now setting in a storage lot and has been for several years and now belongs to the first brother, the oldest. I find out where and go to look at the car. Some rust in the doors that I can see from the fence but car looks in fair shape. so I tell the kid, "Please let me know if your brother ever decides to sell the car."
    Year or so goes by and "Sam" calls me and says his older brother is getting married and needs the money out of the car. Holy shit, I said OK not even asking how much.
    Long story short, car is now sitting high and dry in my garage. Car needs some TLC but nothing that can't be fixed.
    You want something, keep track and keep asking.

28. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

Agreed. I think the French started needling the Viet. gov in '48 or '49. Just from my research. It was a trailer to WWII and the fact that the french suck at everything.

29. Yeah, I've heard many of those answers about why they won't sell.
    Like the 50 Chevy in the back yard rusting down that had belonged
    to Uncle Charlie and they were gonna restore it....one of these days.

Fortunately, haven't experienced the shotgun thing.

I bought my convert back in 1973. At some point, I decided it would be
    cool to have a set of those Chrysler chrome wire wheels on it. There was
    this kind of run down 55 Chrysler New Yorker two door hardtop with a
    continental kit and wire wheels around town, that the guy was using
    as a daily driver to work. Saw it sitting parked along Main Street one
    day and left a note under the windshield wiper saying "if you ever
    decide to sell, please call me." Well several months later, he calls
    and is ready to sell. As I recall, the price was like $475. So I drove
    it home, replaced the wire wheels with some stock steel wheels,
    tinkered with it for a few months, and sold it....getting the wheels for
    real cheap. Still using those wheels today on the ragtop.

30. That's when you ask him to see a picture of his wife, and if she's good looking, tell him you'd swap for her...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.