Register now to get rid of these ads!

the best excuse youve heard for not for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by restin&rustin, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wvenfield

wvenfield

Same thing happened here with a 69 Z/28. Nice car when I first saw it in 1978. Rusted into the ground when it was hauled away a couple years ago after the lady died.

2. Rick S

Rick S

I looked for years for a 47-54 Chevy truck, then found this one walking distance from my house in a suburban wooded back yard. First time I stopped, I found out it was a really nice, solid truck, but the guy said he still used it to haul wood and it was his wife's and she didn't want to sell it. I was cool with that, so I stopped every spring and always heard the same story, even though it never moved. Finally, after 9 years, I told the guy it was such a shame the truck was starting to rust and fall apart and I wasn't going to stop by anymore, I would go find a better one. Sold it to me that day. Went to pick it up the next day and told his wife it was a shame it sat outside so many years, which she replied, "I told my husband to sell you that old truck the first time you stopped by".

Sometimes, persistence pays off.

Attached Files:

• 07.JPG
      07.JPG
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
  3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Back when I was younger I had a 70 Road Runner that I blew the engine up in. I had pulled the old engine and had its replacement back from the machine shop and was building the engine in the open garage door. The car was down for less then a week by this point.

So some guy shows up and wants to know how much I want for the car. Of course i replied "its not for sale." He replies "I suppose your going to fix it up someday?" "Well, as a matter of fact, this engine I'm building right now is for it." "yea, right, I hear that all the time. I'll give you $$$$ for it (about 1/4 of its value in parts)." I told him to get lost.

Same car, about a year later, its parked on the street outside my house. This fool shows up with a rotted out GTX and wants me to sell him the doors off my car! I ask him if he was nuts or what, what would I do for door on my car then? He tells me my car is junk (the body on my RR was 10 times better then his GTX) because its just a Road Runner so I should give him my doors to put on his GTX. That conversation went down hill fast from that point.

Folks show up now asking about cars at my place I ask them how much money they have, I need to deside if they want my stuff more then I do. If it has a sign on it, the price has already been determined, if there isn't a sign, they need to want it bad enough for me to give it up. Doesn't have to be fair, or worth it to anyone but me, its my car until the green and title changes hands. Gene

4. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

One of my '64 Impalas got wrecked years ago and was sitting in the driveway with the front all caved in. I stopped by a truck garage in a nearby town after seeing a front clip sitting out back on an old flatbed. The owner tells me it's not for sale because he was buying a wrecked '64 in the town I was from to put it on.

I said "Really? That's where I'm from........"

He says, "Then you probably know the car, it's the black one on the North edge of town."

I says, "Yeah, I do...... it's MINE."

He gave me one of those "Oh shit." looks then grinned and shrugged his shoulders, shot me a decent price and asked me if I wanted it delivered. I did.

5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I had fun with a cushman man who said it wasn't for sale. i said I'll give you 10 grand. you should have seen him shufling ,said let me get the paper work. I said ''thought it wasn't for sale. walked off.

6. On a '61 Impala sitting in the front ditch of this guys yard he Attacked when I asked him about selling it:

"FOR FOURTY SIX YEARS I HAVE DRIVEN THAT CAR TO GO GET MY MEDICINE, AND I'M GOING TO KEEP DRIVIN IT TILL THE DAY I DIE!!!"

heartwarming.

7. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

This friend of mine sent me some pictures of a 68 Mustang fastback.
    The car had been rolled and was just garbage. It was rust brown and every flat spot on it had been smashed in.
    The car had set about 20 years in the weeds off the side of the road with no windows.
    My friend wanted the only good part left. A headlight bucket corner piece.
    The old mans response.
    Naw my sons gonna fix it up someday.
    I have those pics hanging up in my garage.

8. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

My good friend's dad bought a 400 4 speed '69 Firebird in 1972... He drove it until 1981 and parked it in his garage. In 1993 they moved, and they car moved with them... He actually aired up the tires, changed the oil, and drove it there, after it sitting for 12 years... It is now 2008 and the car is still sitting there, now blocked in by new construction. It's completely original except for a Hurst shifter. He still won't sell. Him and his dad are good guys but a bit lazy and neither of them real "car people"..... I hope someday to buy it.

On the other hand, I have had a lot of guys try to buy my cars and give some shitty offers... I guess when I was younger they figured I was just a kid and didn't know what I had (nothing that great, but still!)... I'd shoot a reasonable price out and they'd walk off in a huff... :)

9. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

selling you this car would be a liability on my part-

10. restin&rustin

restin&rustin
    from illinois

woo hooo, these are great, amazing this thing has been on here almost 24 hours and its knocking on 2500 views how bout that one star..... way to go fng. lol,LOL,LOL, sorry was i talking out loud must be the hose quervo talkin. thanx guys these are priceless like the cars weve all tried unsuccsesfuly to aquire.

11. Scarynickname

Scarynickname
    from Toney, Al

I've came across a few of these. I call them "bait cars" so the old coot will have someone to talk to ... It'll probably be me someday!

12. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

A few years ago, I drug home a "barn find" 67 Ford Fairlane 2 door fastback. It was a 390 4 speed car, but was an XL, and not a GT, so it came with a 2V carb.

I got the car for $250, and put a junkyard GT interior in it. Had a total investment of about $600. It was in "running" condition, but needed about another $300 before it would be up to "driving" condition.

One day, a kid of about 17 or 18 years old catches me out cutting the grass, and inquires about it. I had no plans to sell it, infact, I had no plans for it at all. Had it not been for the very low price and the fact that it was in such nice condition, I would not have bought it at all,,,,, but I had no plans to let some punk teenager buy it and tear it up.

So he asks, and I say it's not for sale. He says "Ok, but can I look at it anyway? I really like those cars."
    Yea, sure... I'll give the kid a few minutes to look it over...
    I'm expecting him to say something along the lines of "My Honda has a fart pipe muffler that added 100 hp", but the kid is very pleasant and seems to be somewhat knowledgable.

He looks it over, and then says "It's got the wrong interior in it".
    "What makes you say that?" I asked.
    "Well, it's got the XL badge on the 1/4 pannel, and the 390 2V, so I'm pretty sure it's an XL, but it's got the GT emblems on the seats and it's got the GT only console".
    "Yea, your right, how did you know that?" I asked.
    "My Dad bought a GTA new. It was gonna be my car, but somebody crashed into it a couple years ago and totaled it. I love these cars and I know a lot about them."

The kid shakes my hand and thanks me for letting him see it, and walks away.

I got back on the riding mower, but suddenly, a wave of generosity washed over me. I fired up the fairlane and drove down the street untill I saw him walking down the sidewalk. I offerd him a ride home.

About a mile later, were in his driveway, and his dad comes out of the house. The dad is excited to see it as well.
    So I ask the kid to "make me an offer", and he says "All I got is $1700 saved up", and I tell him to go get $1200, and we will go to the courthouse and transfer it right now.

The kid literally levitated off the ground and FLEW into the house.
    I asked the dad, who had a totalally shocked expression, if it was OK for the kid to buy it, and he says "Um, uuu, ye... YES! Of course he can! I'm just a little surprised your selling it so low"
    I said "He seems like a good kid, just promise me he will take good care of it"
    The kid comes out with $800 in cash, and a bank ATM card.
    An hour later, the deal was done.
    I still get Christmass cards from him and his parents, and I see the car, all fixed up now, cruising every summer.

13. thats junk.....

its not mine!(even tho it is)

14. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

This old colored guy has whats left of a 59 ford ragtop w/part of a tarp over it and sunk half into the ground.

I rap on his door: said "going to restore it",( wtf ever.) But I got a 57 in the garage for sale. (ok start to get interested) I look in the garage; its what's left of a ragged 4 door post car. I say thanks not interested, "its cheap, I'l take $5000.00 for it"

I hate people.

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pir8Darryl, I like that one. Must still give you a good feeling, do you still see the car around?

I got a system worked out, when someone asks me 'How much'
    I start at $1000 an hour..................:eek:

16. There used to be a real nice 57 210 4 door hardtop out on the reserve south of here. The older native guy used to tell me he keeps it to have all the white guys come bug him about an old car for a change.

17. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Yes, he lives about 8 miles from me. He only drives it when the weather is nice, always garaged. It's been rebuilt and repainted. I'v never regreated selling him that car. He and his parents have turned out to be personal friends.

18. gooter

gooter
    from pittsburgh

69 judge ram air.... "i've been getting ready to start on it" windshield sticker was 1971, rims sunk about 2 inches in the dirt, crap piled all over it "but i could probably let it go for 20,000" and its still sitting there buried in crap

19. 20 years back I asked some hicks in my town about a Tank Fairlane in there yard, he blatenly told me 'unless your here to buy a bag F##k off. I didn't buy the bag and the cars now fallen in on itself.

I'm now friends with the guys son, he one of the best body guys I've met and his Tank Hearse is sitting next to the old one, not running!!! its been off the road in the weather for 2 years now, maybe its time to buy that baggie!!

20. bbodybenny

bbodybenny

Back in 94 i was serving in the Navy, my brother writes to me to tell me that he has bought a Toyota Corolla rally car and he's thinking of selling his Charger RT, i tell him on the phone the day i got the letter in Singapore, "dont sell it, i will buy it off you!" i get home a month later and the prick has sold it to some total stranger. I yell at him " you a**hole, you new i wanted it, i got the money, why didnt you sell me the damn car?" he told me he didnt want me to have a better car than him. The car got totalled about 18 months later. what a waste
    I still havent forgiven him for that.

21. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

It's really no wonder people have so many excuses & bad tempers about selling cars.
    I have a few projects in my yard and there are lots of guys that stop and somehow think I should just GIVE them a car because they "found" it in my front yard.

22. Halfton65

Halfton65

Old 3 window coupe sitting in a guys front yard. I'm not familiar with them so I don't know the make. Old guy says his son is gonna fix it up.
    A month later its sitting in a junkyard 2 blocks away. 2 weeks later the yard was shut down because the owners were selling drugs. No idea what happened to the coupe...

23. bobw

bobw

Here's what I tell people that inquire: "It's not for sale."

24. wvenfield

wvenfield

Not me. I tell them that I wasn't planning on selling but that everything has a price.

Generally they just say thanks and move on.

25. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Suprised you guys dont stop by my house,2 27t roadsters, 2 32 frames, 31 A coupe, 51 ford truck, 65 ford truck, 64 camino, and 41 ford

26. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Seems to me, these folks have good reasons for making up "excuses"...some of you won't take NO for an answer. Like one said, "If it was for sale, it'd have a sign on it."

I don't mind somebody knocking at my door and asking, but once I say NO the conversation about selling is OVER. You're welcome to hang around and talk about cars, though.

27. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Im going to restore one of these days.................but its only been sitting in you're field for frecking 10 years rotting!

28. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

I have heard all of the above many times!! How about some sucess stories.
    1. I found a 51 Buick woodie parked in a driveway. Looked like it had been there are loooooooong time. Knocked on the door, an older woman answered. Inquired about the car. The response was: My piece of S***t son left it here haven't seen or heard from him in ten years, you want it, how much money do you have in your pocket. My reply: 7 bucks. SOLD. Hauled it away with pink slip 2 days later.
    2. Spotted a 53 Ranch Wagon parked beside a house. Knocked on the door and a older gentelmen answered. Turned out the house was a rehab facility for alcholic men. He recognized my friend because his father had been there numerous times. He gave me the car for free!! I came back in an attempt to start it and exploded the battery on my car trying to jump the 6 volt in the wagon. Scared the crap outa me. Never touched the car again (bad mojo??) I ended up giving the car to a friend of mine because he needed the motor for his 53.

29. mudbone

mudbone

anyone ever have to go thru a circle , i`ve been trying to buy a 32 3 window coupe , since 1969 from 4 brothers , each time i ask about it which ever one i`m talking to tells me it belongs to one of the other brothers.and also the usual its gonna be fixed up someday, i`ll keep trying until its not there or they let me have it

30. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Ditto. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.