Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Best 1955 Cadillac build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonBurke, Jan 26, 2009.

1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Alex, Yep, I did pull it up and couldn't figure out how it got there til I read the replies under the pic...Johnny Covey shot those in North Platte, NE for CK Deluxe mag...he put them on there...

Glad to hear I've got "eyes" all over the world...

R-

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Claymore...I don't know much about that site, but obviously Johnny C. does and thinks it's a great place to show off my Caddy...

R-

3. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

Havent been on here in a while. Caddy came out perfect Rog. About to really get started on mine again. You will be happy to hear that I have picked up a running 331 and transmission out of another 54. Going to get engine torn down and check it all out most likely do a full rebuild on both. I am wanting to pull the body off frame but have yet figured how to lift this massive thing off ahah. How did you go about it?

4. No crap at all! But All I'm curious is How did you put the car on cinder blocks?? Because doesn't a jack go so far? I'm trying to figure out a way to lift my 61' Cadillac without it getting too dangerous so I can see what's going on underneath. I don't have a garage or a lifter and the car isn't safe to drive to town to get on one - plus I can't afford to pay anyone to look for under there for me anyway. . So it would be my whole car not just the body.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yep, a jack will only go so high, had you read all the description under the pix you'd already know how it was done: Post # 2 in the thread, just under the yellow painted firewall picture. : ... it was time to put the body and frame back together. It took a few hours to lower the body onto the frame. We raised it with floor jacks...we lowered it with floor jacks, one on each side of the car, moving from front to rear and back to front as we carefully lifted, then removed each individual block until it sat down on the frame and we removed the floor jacks. Lining up bolt holes with the body mounts was

It's not hard to figure out how things work...two guys raise a jack on each side of the car high enuff to insert one block, do so until it's high enuff in the air. Use the reverse of raising it to lower the car.

Thanx for bringing the build back to the top.

R-

6. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Beautiful car! I may have missed it - I read that the main color is custom-mixed, what color is the top?

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Correct Dad's...the body is ...well, I named it "Lollipop Lavendar"...it is custom mixed...lots of pearl. The top is a stock FORD color...it's a 1955 color called "Regency Purple"...and you can have any paint place mix it in whatever you like to spray...including lacquer (in some parts of the US anyway.)

Thanx for kicking the thread back to the top...will be going to the junkyard next week...have the '60 Chevy torn apart and find we need a few things...

R-

8. mika112

mika112

I love your work on the caddy.
    but this picture is really beautiful, this is my dream

[​IMG]

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thank you Mika...the US, if you haven't been here, has many, many beautiful places. Utah, and ColoRODo are but a few states that are blessed with great scenery...

R-

10. On that drive, did you take the Cisco exit and go all the way down to Moab that way? Cisco is a pretty creepy place, but that "back way" into Moab is a neat drive. You've got the Colorado on your right, that's why I ask.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Usually always take the Cisco exit...cuts off about 10 miles going that way...about hit a cow on the "open range" this past April...came over one of the hills and there were about a dozen of 'em on the road...luckily we were only running about 40 thru there...

Not much left in Cisco anymore...some of the buildings have been torn down (or simply collapsed)...and the road from the Moab turn had been repaved...a lot smoother now...

Great scenery on the River Road into Moab...here's some shots from a couple of years ago...that's my bro's 64 SS in the pix...

R-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  12. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Hey Roger, I actually didn't put those pics on there. I accidentally stumbled across them on that site so I thought I better put who's pics they were and who's car it was. I am not sure how those pics found their way onto that site....... still trying to figure that out. Glad your car got the coverage though. Have a great Christmas and New Years.

13. mika112

mika112

you have beautiful cars, the beautiful scenery.
    one dream a 15 hour flight : O
    one day I will make the journey, and who knows may be in cadillac 1955 .

14. Lovin' that grille on that '64 Chevy! Very nice.

15. mika112

mika112

16. LaurieB

LaurieB

Amazing build... love the efforts to keep the firewall really clean, especially the linkage to the Master Cylinder. One question though - how do you access the reservoir on the Master cylinder to top it up?

Also love the subtleness of the body modifications. Great job.

Also - did the colour ever get a name? Candililac or Cadililac seems the obvious choice :)

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx for the compliment...and comments Laurie...

Answers -last first: Yes, the color has a name, it's my version and it's called "Lollipop Lavendar" (body), the roof is 1955 Ford Regency Purple...it doesn't look like it's two-toned, but it is and it's very subtle (as you could tell).

Being "cool" has its price...and the price for having a smooth firewall is to jack up the car, lay on my back and pull the lid off the master cylinder to chek the fluid. I'm in the process of building a "lid" that has a 'remote' attachment...but like anything else that needs to be 'built"...trial and error come into play...

I've checked out your Caddy and the new wheels and tires you put on it...and it looks awesome...FWIW, my son has a '59 two door hardtop...that's how I got into Cadillacs.

Now, if you'll do me a favor, go to: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761880 and vote for my Cadillac...I'd certainly appreciate it...

R-

18. LaurieB

LaurieB

Done! Those other 3 are nice but yours is definitely my favourite.

Thanks for the compliments on the wheels. I'm VERY happy with how they've turned out. :) any pictures of your 55 next to the 59? Going through these pages I think I've only seen the other mid-fifties Caddies that your brother / friends have.

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Sorry to say, no, haven't been able to get him and his Caddy and me and mine together lately...he's got a 2 1/2 year-old daughter now and getting him, his wife and my grandaughter to go rod running with us is a bit tuff right now.

But, here's a shot of my son "racing" his '59 against my bro in his '54 Caddy...this shot in Salina, Kansas, 2008...couple of years ago...

R-

[​IMG]

20. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Great thread ....Man awesome Cadillac !

21. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

22. LaurieB

LaurieB

Love it! Who won? :)

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

The '59...a bit more horses...the '54 is a stock 331" and automatic...

R-

24. Cool caddy nice job love the color!

25. SlowMoe

SlowMoe
    from Alabama

Mr. 40StudeDude: SIR, your Caddy is a true inspiration to those of us that are less fortunate in our metal working skills, and VISION. Not only do you have the tenacity to see this project through, but your vision, is astonishing to say the least. Your build has got to be the most spectacular, brilliant and mind-blowing execution by an "amateur builder", which quite frankly, you're not. You should be up there with the likes of Gene Winfield and all the other greats of the 50's and 60's. I just spent over 4 hours reading/looking through this build, and then gave you the VOTE. AWESOME!

26. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well SlowMoe, I certainly thank you for that compliment...but let it be said that I could never be "up there" with Gene or the other greats...I just tried to emulate what their vision would have been for the Cadillac. I grew up when Kustoms were great (late 50's -mid 60's) and that's what I build to and that's what I enjoy seeing and driving.

Thank you for the vote as well, I certainly appreciate it...

R-

27. Don't know how I missed this thread. Nice build. Very nice!

28. 2Hep

2Hep

Very inspiring! Thanks for the post

29. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

So your bro's '54 has original automatic?

30. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yep...and original 331" V8...gets 20 mpg on the highway at 70 mph as well...

R-