Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Belly Button Bucket Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim_with_a_T, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Subscribe

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  2. Todd Peterson

Todd Peterson

Very nice I like what you did with your top. I have made one that does not collapse but is removable... still too high in the front will probably replace the windshield with a shorter one and adjust the top before too long. I prefer the suicide front end which you do not have....no offense but but, each his own the I beam axle seems to be more traditional, which I like.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  3. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

Great attention to detail! Subscribed!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Great build thread!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  5. daddylama

daddylama

Pretty damn sweet build & attention to detail!
    Nice to see something being built locally, too...

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Just spend the last 1 1/2 hours reading your build thread.
    As stated by many others, this is probably the best and most well thought out build thread I have ever read!
    Looking forward to your continued progress on the "T".
    KK

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  7. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Subscribed. Just read the whole thread. Very Interesting and informative with lots of ideas I can use on my T Coupe build. My timeline is much like yours so I now have a template for a future build thread.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  8. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Thank you all for the positive feedback. It definitely keeps me motivated. I have some updates to catch up with, but I need to wait a bit longer so I can bring a couple posts/sections to completion.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Wow! Impressive.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  10. Zandoz

Zandoz

I am just totally blown away! I encountered this thread a week or so ago in a Google search and saved a link for future reference. Today I've had the time to go through the thread from beginning to end. Some of the best time I've spent in a long time.

Being a wire wheel nut, I'm glad you've stuck to your preference...they may not be period correct, but they sure do work.

Another aspect of your build that really works for me is the car's proportions. To my eye, spot on. Even the proportions of the roller chassis, without the body are excellent. I'm not a big fan of the top treatments on most topped Ts, but you've nailed the top proportions to.

Keep up the excellent work!

On a side note, those pics of the motorized bikes caught my attention. My grandfather was more than a bit of an inventor, and in the late 1930s he designed, and my father built a small rotary engine. When WWII rationing hit, my dad set up a shop building and selling motorized bicycles featuring that little rotary engine and Schwinn bicycle frames, wheels, etc. His bikes had the local distinction of being the only motorized bike to be able to make it up the "Northside hill" from a standing start. You mentioned your brake issues...his motorbikes featured a rear wheel hub and brake assembly based on the drum brake from a 1930s Plymouth.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  11. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Zandoz,

Thanks for checking out the build! Your grandfather's / dad's motorized bicycles sound very interesting! I'd like to see a picture if you have one!

Well, I should probably update this thread soon. I had set a goal of running/driving by my 30th birthday, and that didn't happen. More or less due to events out of my control. The good news is I made significant progress and it's that much closer to completion. More good news is I can now say that I'm employed and a functioning member of society again. So I got that going for me. Which is nice. I'll try to get this up to date after the Portland Swap Meet. Thanks again to those following along.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

jalopy45, patmanta, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  12. Congrats on earning filthy lucre again! Oh, and makin' progress on the T!

brad2v, loudbang and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  13. Mach5customs

Mach5customs

Phenomenal build. Way over the top compared to most of the T's I see around. It's gonna be one hell of a car, good work.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  14. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

[​IMG]

Figured I would post a pic so you guys know I haven't given up on this thing. I got all 4 brakes sanded, coated, and assembled; I got the pedals and clutch linkage sorted out; I got a few small things knocked out; then I started considering some changes- mainly the engine, headlights, and gauges to better fit the era I'm trying to represent. Most of the stuff I had laying around so I figure it needs to go to good use. Anyway, as I get things more solidified and completed, I'll update. Sorry for letting this drop off for so long!

exterminator, dubie, slv63 and 6 others like this.
  15. AndersF

AndersF

Its better to give things some time and do it right.
    In the end it will give you alot less things thats bug you.

16. butch27

butch27

WOW I like it!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  17. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

[​IMG]

Thanks guys. Here's one more picture from about 50yds out- the two modern vehicles are @ about the same distance. It's hilarious to me to see how much smaller the T is in comparison.

pcbart, k1w1rodder and loudbang like this.
  18. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Me too man. Me too.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. slv63

slv63

20. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

To answer your question: yes; there are a few things to update. For ease of editing later, I will withhold the pictorial updates until each section is completed.....and I should have some decent section completions soon. What I've gotten done since updating:

• Front and rear brakes have been powdercoated and assembled.
    • Front suspension has been assembled after powdercoating.
    • I swapped out the Model A headlights for King Bee's. I like them better I think. Scheming turn signal ideas...
    • New radiator mocked up with sectioned original Model T radiator shell(s), thanks to Kiwi Tinbender/Paul.
    • 350 engine has been sold and 1959 283 (now 302) is at machine shop getting checked out, along with a set of 2.02 "461" heads... I am all over the board with camshaft selection... Considering therapy.
    • Brake and clutch pedals have been fabricated and linkage mocked up... I still need to finish this, but they work.
    • Emergency brake handle mounted to T5 with a nifty bracket I made.
    • Various gussets made for frame pieces, including updated driveshaft safety loop.
    • I had the driveshaft shortened, and I'm ashamed to say I think it is about 1.5" too short...FAIL.
    • I think I'm on the 9th or 10th variation of the rear panhard bar...I'm confident this one will work.
    • Wooden floor for pickup bed has been made and fastened to frame.
    • Battery tray mounted to said wooden floor.
    • Fuel tank pattern was delivered to Kiwi Tinbender/Paul, who transferred to 0.100" Aluminum sheet. I have it mocked up now with all fittings, filler, and sender located and drilled. Need to get it back to Paul for welding.

I have a few things I want to finish up on the frame before I blow apart the rolling chassis. I'm reallllly hoping I can knock it out this weekend - I'm that close. Then it is on to sanding/powdercoating rear suspension, and likely powdercoating frame. THEN I will have some ACTUAL updates to post.

The engine build will take some serious time as the parts are not "cut and dry" like the 350 build was. I'm not sure how I want to cover that portion of the build, but I want to document as much as possible, ideally to inspire others to use some of the "obsolete" SBC parts rather than catalog stuff. Although, I am just as guilty, if not more guilty than most, of just ordering what I need out of a catalog in hopes of the quick and easy.

For some reason, the camshaft selection is really weighing on me. Part of that reason is due to the fact that I will likely need to shave down the NOS forged standard bore 302 pistons that I was able to hunt down, which will allow a reasonable compression ratio... once that's done, there's no going back. And those pistons were not easy to find....that's the main reason I built the 350 first. I have bought and sold the various parts to build the 302 four or five times now because I would give up after being unable to find those stupid pistons (and reasonably priced WCFB's). Now that I have the parts, I'm in a quandary.

I have narrowed it down to two cams: the first being the "old school" Isky 505T, which will require steep gears, a decent amount of compression (but NOT shaving the pistons), probably different wheels and tires to manage power a little better, and I think since it was all old school I would use the early Corvette dual point w/out vacuum advance (which I already have)...and this type of setup would SUCK to idle around Portland (I'm assuming - I have no real experience with this). ALL I DO in my daily driver is idle, so I doubt it would be any different going the places I go in a hot rod. Changing wheels and tires would be $$$, and it might look terrible in the end... So that's my dilemma there...

The second cam is "modern": the smallest Lunati Voodoo solid lifter, which would still sound good and make good power, I could use the gears I currently have, the distributor and ignition setup that would work better idling around (and currently have), and no change in wheels or tires... but I have to shave the pistons. If I go the "modern" route, I may be "blowing it" to have drivability and efficiency. I also had this idea of adding a bolt-on hitch to the car so I could build a teardrop trailer to tow around, and I don't want to be doing that with some ridiculous cam and stupid gears getting 8mpg when I could be getting in the mid 20's... So there's all of that....

I have basically not touched the body. I still need to finish all of the bracing and glass work, cut out/hinge/latch the door(s)- you read that right - plural, and I think I will be changing up the dash setup. I'm going to leave that a bit of a surprise for now, but I'm trying to get away from the standard tunneled dash 3/4 T buckets seem to have. Anyway, I feel like this post has turned into rambling, so I better sign off for now. Once again, thanks to any and all following along.

AHotRod, brad2v, volvobrynk and 4 others like this.
  21. slv63

slv63

Glad to hear you are continuing to work on it. This is a great thread and a beautiful car! Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  22. OFT

OFT

In the mid 80's I had a fad T with a tunnel ram, roller cam 327. Nasty motor that would lift the front end when four speed shifted to second (under right leg). It was horrible for driving around town as always was loading up.
    After a year of living with it, swapped that motor out for a almost stock 283 that really made the T fun to drive. IMHO leave the nasty cam and high comp for drag strip, go with milder grind for street.

On the '29 (OFT=old funky truck) had a 396 with blower that had 8.1 blower pistons milled to 7.1 so it would make blower doing work while towing. Climbing hills with 5th wheel RV rarely would it go to 200* water temp. The cam was a comp cam's 262 lift was around 480. Still could use stock converter. That motor wore out and now have a 8.1 SBC 350 with Weiand 177 blower, Lutini 256 Vodoo cam.

I like your build thread and the way your going. Keep the good work up!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  23. Zandoz

Zandoz

Every time I see a pic of your car, I fall in love all over again. Keep up the good work!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  24. AndersF

AndersF

I was thinking if you where stupid or cool to throw out a good working engine
    to repkace it with another one that maybe 1% will see the difference.
    Naturly i think its cool.:cool:
    Whats next to change?
    The T5 to a 3spd with overdrive?:D
    And i agree with OFT above. Make it decent to drive.
    It will problaby be a good hp/weight ratio on it anyway.

25. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

It may indeed be stupid, but I will accept cool haha. The HAMB has corrupted me on period correct, and my friend Corey Jones has corrupted me on early SBC stuff. Not that my car is at all period correct. But it looks the part if you squint hard enough. Every time I looked at the stash of early SBC stuff in the garage, I just felt like I needed to make an effort to use it, so that's that. As for the T5, I think it will stay. It's one of my favorite parts of the car despite being somewhat modern. It just fits too well.

I stopped by the machine shop today. The '59 283 turned 302 has some pretty nasty taper in the bores, and one of the 461 heads is cracked. Which in a way is a good thing, because recently, in a moment of weakness, I bought a '58 283 to hoard for another project... but that also created another variable and more decisions for me to make. This way, I eliminate those variables by sacrificing that block for 302 cubic inches of goodness! The machine shop said they could match up another 461 head easy enough, so I'm still on track there.

If any of you reading this have some WCFB's off a '57 283 laying around, let me know... I have 2 '56 265/283 WCFB's, which I think will work ok, but the '57's are slightly more convincing clones (and I could use the '56 carbs for parts). If not, I will be forced to make ZERO mistakes on the ones I have....which I have yet to do on this project lol.

OFT and AndersF like this.
  26. AndersF

AndersF

If you are a bit like me it just feels good to use old stuff when possible.

brad2v and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  27. dubie

dubie

i love the way this little T is looking, great build thread!! I say, build it however the fuck you want man, it's your car, you don't have to answer to anyone but your soul. After all, that's what you are pouring into this car, and it shows!

What is the wheel base that this car is running on? it appears shorter than most T's we see, but maybe thats just an illusion

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  28. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Thank you, sir! The wheelbase is definitely short. Everyone has their own opinions on T buckets, but for me, they are almost always out of proportion. I always thought that if a bucket is a cut down Model T, it should probably look that way! I think a lot of people build them to Model A and '32 proportions so they have extra "room", but the room is almost always completely unusable (front suspension way out in front, huge gaps from radiator to engine, huge gaps from engine to firewall, etc). So I probably went the other way and built it too short, but at 88" wheelbase, I think it looks pretty decent. If I had a longer bed, I would have tried to be closer to 96", but when I set it up that way (no photos of this), it didn't look right. When I finish the frame updates, you'll see that just about everything needed notched to accomplish that. Lol. Thanks for checking out the thread/staring into my soul...

AHotRod, brad2v and jalopy45 like this.
  29. upspirate

upspirate

Had to check in Tim .Coming along great! I won't spill the beans on the dash!;):cool:

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Tim....... your T Bucket is kickin' major ASS! It inspires, baby. Keep it going!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.