Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Bellflower Clock, -lets hear the stories...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sailor, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Sailor

Sailor

Im a sucker for all kinds of stories, rumors, observations and and memories concerning the kustoms gathering at Bellflower Clock in the late fifties. Lets hear your stories... Do anyone have any pics of the place? Which clubs used to hang out there? Which cars? People? Anything would be cool.

(Dirk, DrJ and Mikey the Lurker; -Im looking your way, guys.. [​IMG])

2. I have a very cool poster of that place, done by Steve Stanford in the early 90´s (got it signed by Watson ...). I assume you have it as well http://www.hotrodsonline.com/Vendors/Watson/Clock.html
    I know that was the place were the guys with customs hung around. Yes, stories!!! I want to hear them too!

3. Dirk

Dirk

I live in Long Beach, and where the Bellflower Clock used to be is just a short drive from my place. It is just North of the 91 Freeway on Bellflower Blvd.

I went out and took some pictures with my junky camera. It is now a Dairy as you can see, but this is it.

Attached Files:

4. Dirk

Dirk

Sorry about the quality.

Attached Files:

5. Dirk

Dirk

My dad had a cousin Floyd, who owned this car. Well Floyd had an older brother Jack that had a Pink mid fifties Merc custom.

Jack had tied a chain to one of the light poles and a cops rear axle. He got the cop to give chase and the rest is just like in the movies.

Attached Files:

6. Dirk

Dirk

I have spent alot of time collecting things from this area and talking to people from the old clubs. I have collected alot of car show programs, plaques, and trophies.

Some of the many clubs that used to hang out there are:
    Renegaeds, Long Beach
    Cut-Outs, Long Beach
    Furys, Long Beach
    Rogues, Long Beach
    creators, Lakewood
    Coachmen, Norwalk

The 5 window belonged to the Collins brothers who had a trim shop in Whitter. They were Renegade members. The flames were by watson.

Attached Files:

7. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

No shit??..Thats f@#$in awesome!!

Dirty

8. Dirk

Dirk

This is the "Fade away Ford" built for Bud Lehner by his dad. He was in the Furys of Long Beach. The car recently restored. Bud is a cool guy and had given me most of the trophies the car had won.

These last 2 pictures were stolen from Mart's great site.

Attached Files:

9. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man Ive been in love with that pontiac since I saw it in rod& custom like 7 years ago.... The one with the first watson story... cool car.. -J.

10. Sailor

Sailor

Great stuff, guys, -keep it coming. Might this picture be taken at the clock?

Attached Files:

11. ChrisinPhilly

ChrisinPhilly

I recognize that 58Pontiac from the RandC story on Watson too. He was the 15 year old that had his car painted by Larry.Floyd DeVore or something like that. Thanks for the history lesson Dirk, I thought that the cop car story was movie fiction. Get him on the board!

12. Sailor

Sailor

I think his name was Floyd De Boer.

Come on guys, there got to be more. I can imagine a saturday night with the Moonglow rolling inn...

13. krupanut

krupanut

[ QUOTE ]

Come on guys, there got to be more. I can imagine a saturday night with the Moonglow rolling inn...

[/ QUOTE ]

bttt