Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Basics Of Searching

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Ryan, May 26, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Searching the H.A.M.B. is quite simple and pretty efficient once you get the basics down. I figured a tutorial was in order, so here it is...

First thing you should know is that the key to searching is using the "search icon" found here:

searchicon.jpg

When you click the search icon, you will see a search drop down appear. It will look something like this:

searchwindow.jpg

So what does each of the fields and buttons do? Simple:

1. This is the field where you enter your search term. You can enter something simple like:

ford-roadster.jpg

This will return all threads and posts that contain both the words "ford" and "roadster." Or, you can enter your search in quotes like this:

ford-roadster2.jpg

This will return all threads and posts that contain the phrase "Ford Roadster" - both words together as typed.

2. Click this checkbox if you only want to search the titles of posts.

3. In this field, you can limit your search to a specific user only. Just type that user's username in this field.

4. If you would like to limit your search to a certain date or range, just use this text field.

****5. This is a very important checkbox and one people should pay more attention to. Depending on where you are on the H.A.M.B., the function of this checkbox changes. For example, if you are in the "traditional hot rod" forum and you only want to search that forum (and not the entire H.A.M.B.), you would sure to check this box as it limits the search to the forum you are currently viewing.

6. This is another important checkbox. If you want to view ALL threads and posts that are returned with your search term included, do not check this box.

However, if you only want to see the threads that included your search term you would want this box checked.

Try it out - it will make sense once you do.

7. Clicking this button will take you to the advanced search page which gives you additional power to search things like:
    - Threads & Posts
    - Profile Posts
    - Media​

8. Click this little arrow for common searches like:
    - Recent Posts
    - Your Threads
    - Your Posts
    - Your Profile Posts​

Six-Shooter likes this.
  2. Thank you for your help Ryan,......Cheer`s Bri, sorry for been a PC thickhead

3. silent rick

silent rick

the old hamb allowed 2 digit searches. i tried searching the parts for sale section using FE and got 6 pages of stuff having nothing to do with ford's big block. i then tried 292 and got the same result, 6 pages of items having nothing to do with engines having that displacement. what's up?

5. I regularly search FE since that's my go to engine and ran into the same issue you have.
    I figured out a solution and found that typing in 1 double quotes on each side of "FE" qualifies the search to specifically FE and only FE

Movin/on

6. silent rick

silent rick

that works, never needed to do that on the old hamb

7. Is there a way to change the search preferences? Every time I search, I manually have to set the 'order' for 'most recent' instead of its default of 'relevance'. I am no computer guru, I have dirt under my fingernails, LOL

8. atch

atch

Is there a way to find posts that include two words, but not necessarily in any order? i.e., both words, not just either word?

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

“Both words” jalopyjournal.com

Use this in google.

10. atch

atch

I'm posting this here so I can find it the next time I need it. It took me a bit of experimenting to find what works.

I searched “model a” & "pedal" jalopyjournal.com in Google to find threads that discussed Model A pedals/assemblies.

I searched “model a” & "pedal" & "f-1" jalopyjournal.com in Google to find threads that discussed F-1 pedals in Model A's