Register now to get rid of these ads!

The AV8 is on the Road!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gashog, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Mart

Mart

You're welcome.
    Just looking at the last pic there, the later brakes mounted upside down really are a neat setup for the A.
    Mart.

2. gashog

gashog

Here is the YouTube video I did with highlights of the build:

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/wtCi4DCToKc width=425 height=350 type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </EMBED><!-- / message -->

3. gashog

gashog

If you're wondering what cam to run in your flathead, you can hear how the Isky MAX 1 in sounds with the engine running through the open sidepipes at:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. gashog

gashog

I've had the Model A on the road for about a year now and have clocked about 700 miles. I haven't killed myself yet, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Knock on wood, I think I've sorted out most of the gremlins:

It took a couple tries to get a good weld on the shortened steering box sector housing. Remember to buy a new seal and ream out the shaft bushing after welding.

Moved the master cylinder to the K member and lengthened the arm on the brake pedal to get enough stroke to work both halves of the master cylinder if the hydraulics fail. Ya know, there just might be a reason why everybody does it that way...

Replaced the fatiguing hard oil filter lines with braided stainless. Really upset the folks at the show when I pulled in and puked 3 quarts of oil on the asphalt.

Broke down and put in a $5 Radio Shack beeper to help me to remember to turn off the non self canceling turn signals.

The real hair-puller was the random engine stalling. Took two tows and a 20 mile push home on the interstate to figure that one out. Turned out I put the cone washer at the top of the crab distributor on upside down when I rebuilt it and it wasn't taking all the slack out of the shaft. The motor ran fine for almost 500 miles until the knurled center section worked itself loose. Flipped the washer over and she ran like a top.

Despite my best efforts to clean it, I'm still battling the crud in the fuel tank. The sock filter in the tank helps keep the big clunkers from clogging up the shutoff valve, but the gravity feed tank just doesn't have much head to push through a dirty filter. I've done everything short of pulling the tank to have it boiled out, but I'll never match the old paint if I do. The easy fix is to put in a new $1.50 filter every time I fill the tank. Hopefully a couple dozen more tanks of gas and I'll have it licked.

Finally had a chance to go back and install the Harman Collins dual coil distributor. Man, does the setup look cool and the flatty runs like a top. I can see now why everybody wants one.

I'm really looking forward to making the trip to Ocean City, MD for the show on May 14-17. Not quite brave enough yet to try the 300+ mile trip to the Showdown :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  5. Mart

Mart

Glad youre gettin all the bugs out of her.
    That's part of the fun.
    The cone washer in the dist bis one to look out for, good tip.
    Keep on enjoying it.
    Mart.

6. Sometimes ya just gotta throw caution to the wind and go for it. :D

7. gashog

gashog

Sorry modelatom, somehow your post slipped through the cracks. Here's a copy of the wiring diagram I made up for the car:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  8. 94hoghead

94hoghead

what a great car!

9. gashog

gashog

A little update on the Model A:
    She's been on the road for a shag over 3 years now. Have about 2000 miles on her and actually made it to Ocean City, MD twice for car show weekend-well, one and a half because of fuel problems the last time. But we had a blast at the Steer Inn with a couple other HAMBers while we were there. The only trouble I've had has been that nagging crude in the stock tank. Did everything short or having it boiled it out but I hated to mess up the paint. I decided to give up on the gravity feed and installed a 32-42 style mechanical fuel pump (early style without fuel bowl for more clearance at firewall), and switched over to a "real" sediment bowl filter from a 62 LeSabre to cut down on the restriction/frequency of change. And I was still having problems. LOL, that tow bar ain't for show; it's saved my ass a half dozen times. I finally broke down this past fall and took her to Bradshaw's in Chesapeake. Terry put in a new set of plugs & cleaned the carbs. Made me feel kinda stupid being sooo close after all the wailing and grinding of teeth but I had worked on her too much to see the obvious. Anyway, I haven't had a problem since.

Other than fighting the crap in the fuel system, all I've done to the Model A since I built her was clean up the extra fan pulley sheave, put on a "real" Special Coupe beltline molding and add the HC dual coil, towbar & some 1157 halogen taillight bulbs. The wife had Igor work his pin stripe magic for me for Christmas. Maybe this winter I'll get around to swapping out the crappy quarter window and roof moldings with the real stuf I managed to pick up, and I've been itchin to try out the quad setup that's collecting dust over the garage. A little hard to start when she's been sitting for a couple days but all in all, it's a great little car just the way I put her together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
    catdad49 likes this.
  10. Nice job! And there is nothing better than moving down the road in something you did yourself.............

11. Chemin

Chemin

Where did you end up getting the beltline molding? I'm in need of one too.

Thanks
    Chemin

12. That has to feel good, nice work man

13. gashog

gashog

Thanks guys. I got lucky on the beltline molding. Saw it setting on the back of a project Model A for sale and hooked up with the owner to sell it to me separate from the car. It was rough. I did a post on the repair at:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329689&highlight=repair+thin

Found one of the quarter window moldings on ebay. When I won the auction, the seller told me he had a friend who had the other side!

Lots of good info on all of the Special Coupe details and pictures of all the HAMBer's cars at the 1928-29 Model A Special Coupe Club section at http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=236

catdad49 likes this.