Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The ALTERED thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 3, 2016.

1. rudestude

rudestude

Well I'm going to go with saltflats on that and ad..blue drag coupe with a straight axle siting in a very rocky parking lot or pit area.....

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hotdoggin DaddyO and loudbang like this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

No sorry it's from a site with just old photos no captions. The Dodge front next to it is early 60's

3. loudbang

loudbang

4. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Winged Express with the second photo showing the non cutaway steering wheel that was added in late 1964, not long before the car started to be known as the Winged Express following a comment by Lions starter Larry Sutton.

Roo

5. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

This is Kurt Singleton's Phil Turgeson built coupe, most likely with former co-owner Ray Rucker at the wheel. The photo dates from 1961/2 when the motor was a blown 283 small block Chevy.

Roo

6. rooman

rooman

Sorry but that quote came from Billy "The Kid" Scott's comments.

Roo

7. loudbang

loudbang

8. loudbang

loudbang

9. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Thanks to 296ardun I can tell you that this is the Keonig and Sundin car backed by Reath automotive and that it is Oldsmobile powered with updraft carbs off a WW II tank (thanks to Dean Lowe for that tidbit). Thanks to jnaki we also have video of the A in action.

Roo

10. rooman

rooman

From post #1417
    [​IMG]
    And from post # 1421
    [​IMG]
    The black and white shot is an early version of Gene Cooper's Chevy and the color shot is of the later Cooper and Schmier iteration. As of 2015 Willy Souza owned the final (red) version, having purchased it from Dan Crites in 1976.
    [​IMG]

Roo

11. loudbang

loudbang

and 6 cyl.JPG

and pipes.JPG

Gunfighter

gunfighter.JPG

Herb Bartz Shell

herb bartz shell.JPG

12. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    A Todd Wingerter photo of Jan Riedel's "Frustration" E/A Bantam from the 1974 Springnationals

Roo

13. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    The Harrell, Borsch and Muse roadster that later was better known as the Winged Express.

Roo

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

Am I not seeing right, or is that the drive-shaft running right through the cockpit on the Winged Express...:eek:
    [​IMG]

15. rooman

rooman

The shaft itself is inside the tube that you can see although there were plenty of cars in that era that ran open (splined connector) shafts and a few front motor dragsters with live axle quickchange rear ends with just a simple aluminum shield between the driver's legs and the axle itself as seen in this shot of the Bud Moorehouse junior fueller.
    [​IMG]

Roo

loner2, Stebo27, Dean Lowe and 2 others like this.
  16. slowmotion

slowmotion

Thanks for the explanation Roo. I knew of the FED diff/driver relationship. :eek:
    Never doubted Willie's intestinal fortitude. Just couldn't for the life of me imagine a live shaft spinning at high rpm that close to the 'boys'. :eek::D

17. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

The NHRA allowed, not really allowed, but looked the other way, open drive shafts till...(forgotten the exact time period) "about" the mid-late 90's when one of the Funny Car drivers got his shoe laces caught up in the spinning shaft and really screwed up his foot/ankle.
    Tha ended open drives shafts.

Mike

loudbang likes this.
  18. rooman

rooman

For one thing no funny car driver since the late 60's has ever had exposed shoe laces. To quote the 1970 NHRA rule book (Page 58 under "Protective Clothing"),
    "Drivers of all fuel cars, all cars equipped with superchargers (except Stock cars) and any car where an automatic transmission is in the driver's compartment are required to wear a reflective, heat resistant and flame proof driving suit that meets SEMA Specs 3-1. Suits are to include face mask, goggles, gloves and reflective fire boots."
    Those fire boots have always been zipper and velcro fastened since their inception.

Further to that here is the wording from the current (2018) NHRA rule book:
    "Each end of driveshaft must have a full 360 degree cover of minimum 1/16" steel or 1/8" aluminum. Rear cover must surround the coupler. Front cover must surround the driveshaft from the back of the reverser to the end of the splicer sleeve in the area of the driver's legs".
    A full drive line cover has never been required in funny cars running spline coupled shafts although in the early days of the class when some of the cars still had rear suspension and U jointed drive shafts the containment requirements were somewhat tougher--2" x 6" channel from 1" forward of the front joint to 1" behind of the rear joint plus 2" x 3/16" strap or 7/8" x .065" tube loops at each end.

Roo

Boyd Wylie likes this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

John's Carburetor & Ignition Shop

John's carburetor & ignition shop.JPG

Pipens & Torrez

Pipens & Torrez.JPG

Walt's sunoco

walt's sunoco check.JPG

Willy

willy.JPG

20. rooman

rooman

21. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    This one just keeps making laps. Posted in the DCIM thread by bucksnort in 2012 and here by loudbang in early 2016.
    Butch Pipins best known association is with Don Green where they were partnered on a 23 T fuel altered that raced as simply "Pipins and Green" from 1965 through 1969 before being re named "The Trip". I would guess that this car pre-dates the "T".

Roo

cruiserjohn76, Stebo27 and 1947knuck like this.
  22. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]
    Obviously that is Willie to the right of the car and it is John Muse working on the engine.

Roo

23. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

loudbang, thank you and roo for keeping this thread going! it makes me smile everytime i go threw it! grew up at the old us 30 dragstrip in indiana. lots of memories. thanks for doing this.

loudbang and NHRANUT like this.
  24. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Yeah, "Roo Rules" . :)

25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Many readers here may not know Bob (aka NHRANUT) is a photojournalist in his own right. Thank you Bob for all your years of following / photographing / documenting this hot rod sport.

AHotRod, NHRANUT, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  26. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

going back to the ditmar car, i have had some conversations with jack ditmar about his racing career. he was quite the thinker with his ideas with the little screamer. lots of stories. i saw the car after it was found and partialy restored, jack wanted to buy it back, but it wasnt for sale. after that the car was completly restored correctly, and on display with jack at the hotrod reunion in bg. really nice resto . jack was having fun signing autographs. he said he was looking for the opel funny he used to race in the midwest, but could never find. he owns a body shop in illinois . and still going strong last i heard.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

The NHRA allowed, not really allowed, but looked the other way, open drive shafts till...(forgotten the exact time period) "about" the mid-late 90's when one of the Funny Car drivers got his shoe laces caught up in the spinning shaft and really screwed up his foot/ankle.
    Tha ended open drives shafts.

Rooman wrote -
    Mike
    For one thing no funny car driver since the late 60's has ever had exposed shoe laces. To quote the 1970 NHRA rule book

Yea...it did. But my old memory does fail me as to when (as noted !).
    Also as I recall, it was during an non-NHRA "Match Race" evening in the Midwest as I recall.
    As I assume you recall...not "everyone" followed the rules during non-NHRA match racing. I've witnessed that...though long ago..!

Mike

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

29. rooman

rooman

30. loudbang

loudbang