Register now to get rid of these ads!

The (almost) holy grail of quick dirty and cheap choppers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burndup, Apr 16, 2004.

1. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

and yeah, how many coils did you cut outta the rear shock springs?

2. hatch

hatch
    from house

The coils were cut until there wasn't any shock travel left....the second bike, I eliminated the coils and tacked the top and bottom of the shock together...cheap and easy struts...just don't weld too long on a shock, they make great grenades

3. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

I'd like to see a cool build up of a jap chopper. I like cycles and want one but dont know shit about them.

4. fishtank

fishtank

You gotta love the ape-hangers. That bike is bad.

5. Attached Files:

6. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

There were built in Thailand, and belong to a club called the "Bangkok Springers'

Attached Files:

7. FnDIRTYGREASER

FnDIRTYGREASER
    from LA, cali

hatch, those are sweet! thats what i want mines to look until i get the frame rigid. But that wont be for a while, plus i might even keep the look that your bikes have! More details please. thanx
    manny

8. k-member

k-member

Thanks AlteredPilot, that's just what the doctor ordered. [​IMG]

9. Man, I gotta take time to learn how to post. I'm doin' a 78 Yammy SR500 thumper as a bobber style flattracker. Got one of those Ebay solo seats(use Bates for your search) cut 10 inches off the back of the frame and a 30s Chevy spare tire cover is lookin' to be the new rear fender. It'll be on the road with the cast wheels till I come up with a set of DID aluminum rims. Some newer style stuff will be disc brakes, Supertrapp muffler(free, gratis) and maybe an MSD.

10. Hatch,
    Those two black bikes look AWESOME!!
    What size are the wheels, and what are they off?
    Is the seat sprung at all or mounted rigid?

Note to oneself: STOP looking at the HAMB, need to stop my mind/focus from wandering otherwise I'll never get my RPU done....

Cheers,

Drewfus [​IMG]

11. FnDIRTYGREASER

FnDIRTYGREASER
    from LA, cali

thanx flat earnie. Im glad someone finally answered a simple newb question that will put us on the right track? Now I tried looking for the lowering kits(the ones that move your shock away to drop it about 2 inches or so) and didnt seem to find one for my year(83) or for any 80's for that matter. Where do you recomend i get some struts from? any guys have some part #'s handy? any suggestions on the length, i want to go as low as i can. thanx
    manny

12. i just picked up a VL springer and a matched set of 16 inch wheels with 180s on um. looking at a xs for a donor in the morning .i got a nice ribbed mustang tank for $5 and a 36 ford spare tire cover waiting to be put to use

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    Where do you recomend i get some struts from? any guys have some part #'s handy? any suggestions on the length, i want to go as low as i can

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there are some places that will sell them, but I've always made them - they're pretty simple, really. As for length, get some wooden dowels & play around with length until you find the ride height that suits you.

[ QUOTE ]
    i just picked up a VL springer

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you're not going to put that beautiful thing on a Yamaha - or anything other than a Harley? It NEEDS to be on a Harley where god intended it! I love the RL/VL I-beam springers - much, much cleaner look than the tubular springers. I've got an RL for my custom 45 project...

[​IMG]

14. rev616

rev616

[ QUOTE ]
    It almost looks like a triumph motor... sortakina...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah man,they were made to rival triumps..man this sucks.i just sold a ton of XS stuff you might have been interested in.one frame cut ready for a hard tail.an electric box shaped like an oil tank.black out engine,misc engine parts,and alot more for $150.oh well.if you need any help check out www.650motorcycles.com they have manuals and all sorts of stuff

15. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

yes, that website is the BOMB, I downloaded all the service manuals and printed them out here at work! [​IMG]

Also, mikesxs.com is... THE... SHIZZY... for parts, super cheap, and fast, free shipping on >$30 orders...

16. hatch

hatch
    from house

Drewfus...the wheels are stock Yamaha xs650. They made them with standard spoke pattern and also with extra spokes (the black wheels)...both sets are 16 rear and 19 front. The seat is mounted rigid to keep it as low as possible.

On the black wheel bike, the struts are made from stripped shocks that are tack welded together at the top....cheap and easy.

17. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Jason, did that seat show up yet?

18. purple

purple

<font color="purple"> I had an XS360, t'was stolen it was.

Slazzen, Do you just need a frame? I have the Kawi that the tank came from, anything else from it too. </font>

19. FnDIRTYGREASER

FnDIRTYGREASER
    from LA, cali

ok, a few things that i have enough money to buy from egay now are the dragbars, or z bars(undecided yet).... and the solo seat. ok, question ... What length would be ggod for the dragbars, since there seem to be many to choose from? hatch, what length are yours?? thanx guys.
    ps, dragbars or z bars????? watcha think?
    manny

20. raaf

raaf

hey,

i've got easy access (aka FREE) to an '85 yamaha virago. can these be made in to anything cool? pics? resources?

thanks,

raaf

21. FnDIRTYGREASER

FnDIRTYGREASER
    from LA, cali

those are pretty coo, they seem to have a lower seat height. get that badboy!!

22. haring

haring

[ QUOTE ]
    this Long Bike looks nice.

[/ QUOTE ] [​IMG]

The exhaust exits up into the rider's face! That would be fucking MISERABLE! [​IMG]

23. whizzerick

whizzerick

I've been lookin' around for XS650 stuff and found this buildup: [​IMG]
    at This address
    Looks darn clean...

24. got my donor the starter is going quick but its a runner

25. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

damn you ALL! i've been wanting to do a choppa for a loooong time. figured i'd buy a wrecked Harley someday and toss the frame. now i se there is a much cheaper (and still cool) alternative. might have to move the choppa up on the priority list now.

26. That longbike Hairing posted[650 Yam] belongs to a young guy I met in Ottumwa Ia...the clutch lever is on the Jock handle..... its a cool deal.

27. FnDIRTYGREASER

FnDIRTYGREASER
    from LA, cali

yeah, i saw that website recently. cheap buildup, and the exhaust is coooo! hope this thread goes up to like 50 pages [​IMG]
    manny

28. Tackett

Tackett

I got one a while back for $160 bucks, and made it run after 30 minutes. I tore it apart, and it's in the middle of a rebuild - but I couldn't decide between a bobber and a street-tracker. Fortunately, a friend of mine is selling me one he rides less and less due to a newer bike - for $350.
    Wooo! One of each.

Here's a butt-ton of pictures (mostly XS650s): Right Here

Tackett

29. check th cheap is out

30. FnDIRTYGREASER

FnDIRTYGREASER
    from LA, cali

hey tackett, your in my neck of the woods. Im glad someone local that can help me out. hope you dont mind if i pm you sometime to ask a specific question. any pics of your 650 right now?? oh yeah... hatch what size rear tire you got? im looking for some WWtires but dont know jack about the sizes... front size would help out a bunch too.