Register now to get rid of these ads!

The (almost) holy grail of quick dirty and cheap choppers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burndup, Apr 16, 2004.

1. 58villager

58villager

Hopefully here are some pix of xs chops I've done

Attached Files:

2. 58villager

58villager

Actually I screwed up this my BSA let metry Yam again

Attached Files:

3. 58villager

58villager

O.K. here is my brothers bobber

Attached Files:

4. 58villager

58villager

hers another

Attached Files:

5. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

uhm, no, I meant, if I rewire the bike, can I revert back to points? do they just bolt back in exactly in place of the 'lectronik pickups?

The starter can just be yanked and the hole blocked off? No extra little gear in there that needs to be excised?

I haven't even taken the thing outta the back of my truck yet, let alone played with it or fired it up, I'm anticipating having to take it to hiway patrol for VIN verification...

Thanks,
    J

6. FnDIRTYGREASER

FnDIRTYGREASER
    from LA, cali

Alright, lets bring this post back from the dead. I am going to pick up an 82 xs650 heritage this afternoon. After looking and re-reading this post day after day, i decided to do it!! I have never owned a bike, or even rode one for that matter. So please bear with me, and my (very simple to you guys)questions. Im jumping in with my eyes closed, but hoped that some local hambers could come through for me if i needed any help. ok, first things first.. hatch and james love the bikes!! They are sick!! ok, i would like to get the look of the "purty" bike the pic burnd posted. what is stock and what is modified?? but, Why does it look so low in the rear compared to hatch's?/ I can tell that they cut off the rear grab bar that extended over the rear wheel, anything else?? where do you buy the seat that hatch has, and the "purty bike" have?? any advice as what should be done first, im cluesless as the right steps to building a cool bobber. thanx. sorry if this doesnt make sense... just have to many ideas running through my head,
    manny

7. FnDIRTYGREASER

FnDIRTYGREASER
    from LA, cali

wow, i think i bit of a bit more than i can chew.... ]
    when i see guys or even gals riding they make it seem so easy. I tried taking it for a spin, but just coudnt seem to get the hang of it. And when i tried to turn i dropped it! Owell, im not one to give up!! Im gonna get back on that horse and ride it.. Im going to try and see if i can go to one of the motorcycle driving schools. Because im clueless right now. I really wish someone was there to teach me how to ride my first bike(the basics
    ), so you guys that did learn at a young age, consider yourselves very lucky. Atleast I can fix-up my bike, while i learn how to ride it. Those damn handle bars are the first thing to go, how can you ride with them, they are so awkward. I hope someone can help me out with my questions, you can also pm if you can be so kind. Here are some pics of MY 650...
    http://nadolfo.photosite.com/xs650sk/
    manny

8. BurndupCRX.... what diameter bars does it have?

Sam.

9. You can get two sets of cases an rather than sandoff YAMAHA......cut the letters out of second and weld in an smooth up to read...ya-mama! [​IMG]
    they relly do have a good lookin motor..I saw a killer longbike a while back made from one..he took the clucth off the bars and had a Jock shift with a squeeze lever on the jock handleI have a 750CC Kaw TWIN tha I wanna do later on..it sounds kind smooth like a V6 with duals!Rather be a little more opposed sounding like a trimph-BUt damn it STARTS and runs good! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. yeah!!! lets chop some 80's japper bikes!! i just pulled an 81 suzuki GS450 outta the trash, yeah i said it, the trash. haven't had time to get it running, but i managed to strip all the tin off of it. lets keep this thread alive. i neeeeeed ideas and photos and AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! too many toys!!!!

11. 55olds88

55olds88

O.k. I see no early Honda CB twins ?? whats going on there, I had a CB175 when I was like 15 till a cop followed me 4 or so miles home and suggested it stayed off the road..... hell if I had mirrors I mighta seen him too....
    Best sounding paralell twin I think I have ever heard had a home made 2 into 1 on it, we had a lot of CB's down here.
    almost bought an XS650 about 18 years ago neat looking bikes along with the big 500 single SR's

12. Me love street tracker heap big much.

[ QUOTE ]
    You guys operate on a one track mind, chops and nothing else.

Those bike have so much potential for other stuff besides chopper fodder. You want some examples?

Try this, they make killer street trackers:

[​IMG]

Omar's Street tracker

Google search for "street tracker"

Or you could do this to it, Cafe'/ Clubman racer style:

[​IMG]

Google search for "clubman racer"

And of course if you need some further inspiration to do this, check out Ace Cafe, London or how about this TonUp.

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

13. Villager, how did you extend the shaft for the wide tire in the rear??

Nice project, I just unloaded 2 of those bikes...wish I kept em..

14. [​IMG]

Who can tell more about this bike? it looks relatively stock minus the seat and the minor frame work?

This is bad to the bone.

15. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

I think it was stock, yet "pruned."

All the older Yap bikes until recently used 7/8" bars.

Personally, I think wasting the time on removing the bigass "YAMAHA" off the sidecover is stupid. There are MANY things that need attention on the old bike, namely, replacing the swingarm tube and bushings. Getting the carbs working right, upgrading to a higher output coil, not to mention merely bobbing the SOB.

Oh yeah, and if you are done with all that, you should be out RIDING it....

If you have a problem with riding a yammy-haw, dont. If you think you are less of a man for not owning a harley, or a triumph well... you're just plenty confused!
    [​IMG]
    These bikes are BETTER than triumphs, cause no one will steal them!

But then again, you arent working on MY bike, so do whatcha like...

BTW I need another XS, anybody got a cheapie they want gone?

16. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

looks cool but just please take a grinder to the covers and get that jap lettering off

17. k-member

k-member

Alteredpilot, I recently got an 81 GS450. Kinda neat looking motor. here's a before and shity after idea..
    Before

Attached Files:

18. k-member

k-member

and After, like i said kinda shity...I wish I could lower the ass end.

Attached Files:

19. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

If you cant stand... or appreciate... the Jap lettering, why the fuck would you even get near a jap bike?

Anyone who gets close enough to it is gonna know what it is... why waste the time grinding the case?

I dont fucking get it, some one Splain it to me...

Shit, this yamaha is enough fun that I'd still ride it if it said FATGIRL or GAPERIDE on the engine case... yeah, ok that last one, I'd wanna grind it off too... but YAMAHA does not equal GAPERIDE.

20. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

shit, someone please tell me how to write "Yamaha" or "Bitchin" or "the one who is burned" or "pussy licker" or something in KANJI, I want to paint it on the tank now...

21. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    I wish I could lower the ass end.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't find some shorter shocks, perhaps you could move the lower shock further to the rear - common trick. Option B - would be to replace the shocks entirely with solid struts in your choice of length. Of course you do lose some ride comfort [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't think you can go loads further w/o lowering the front as well. As a temporary measure, you could slip the tubes in the triple trees a bit - be sure they're exactly equal.

[​IMG]

22. k-member

k-member

Oops, sorry Ernie, I ment in the pic [​IMG] The fab I understand, the computer not too well [​IMG]

23. haring

haring

[ QUOTE ]
    Shit, this yamaha is enough fun that I'd still ride it if it said FATGIRL

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, if it said FATGIRL, I'd probably ride it twice as much.

24. hatch

hatch
    from house

Here's a couple....this bike is gone to Maui.

Attached Files:

25. hatch

hatch
    from house

Next one..almost ready to ride....the wheels and spokes were rusty, so I just blasted and painted em.

Attached Files:

26. hatch

hatch
    from house

Some of Kritzs' striping...way cool

Attached Files:

27. hatch

hatch
    from house

Oh yeah...the one with the black wheels...I have $345 in the whole project...and a full weeks work....cheap thrills for sure [​IMG]

28. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Is that the stock rear fender, Hatch? Where does the seat come from?

The black rims look dope...

29. hatch

hatch
    from house

Stock rear fender, just shortened in the area under the license plate....the seats are available on ebay...new, usually around 25 bucks...just search for "solo seat" .....this Long Bike looks nice.

Attached Files:

30. hatch

hatch
    from house

Or maybe this one.....

Attached Files: