Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The all inclusive,almighty Y block thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Thanks guthriesmith, Jeff (our project guru) isn't letting anything get cooled off too much. Here is a picture of him picking up the next project body, a 27 roadster. This build will be a Y-Block as well. Very much the same formula as the 32, Y-Block, C4 auto, 8 inch rear with 4 link, conventional front axle with cross spring, custom built frame, and so on! The 32 took us just over 3 years, will try to beat that on this one! 333935424_1217632809134786_1602162141673750152_n.jpg 333935424_1217632809134786_1602162141673750152_n.jpg

2. atch

atch

I came across this recently and searched the H.A.M.B. for a good place to post it. It's obviously a scan or photograph of a magazine page (or maybe even a tee shirt) but I have no way of knowing where it originated. Here ya go:

edit: I've uploaded dozens (hundreds?) of jpg files to the hamb but this one doesn't want to actually upload except for the link. Sorry.

View attachment upload_2023-3-27_15-52-49.jpeg

egads likes this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

4. atch

atch

Thanx loudbang.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Well, I guess our next charity build will be Y Block powered as well. A 27 track roadster with a 272 from my 55 that I had sitting in the shop, hell I wasn't using it at the moment so.......... 338572077_767163171433595_8696593457673757540_n.jpg

6. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I think y-blocks are one of the most underrated v8 out there. They have many built in performance features that most other engines just don't have. They dominated racing in 56-57. And they don't have to be expensive. Parts are only a phone call away. And I've seen them fitted to early fords without cutting firewall with the right combination of parts.
    Besides who wants to build a boring cookie cutter car with a sbc or Windsor?

7. Clark

Clark

Here's the Y block for my 34. Theyve been my go to motor for a while.

And the holy grail for y blocks is a roller cam. We think Harmon Collins only made 12 of them 20191214_115249.jpg

8. egads

egads

How did they put a roller cam in a Y-Block?

sidevalve8ba, y'sguy and Roothawg like this.
  9. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Yes, I have to say I've heard it discussed how to ever do it but, alas never heard of it ever being accomplished. Not much room in that area for a roller lifter? Also had some theories about using Harley-Davidson roller lifters. But it was just speculation. Roller rockers, well yes. Several makes.
    Anyway, I'm fine with the engine as is. Solid lifters sound great.

Okie Pete, egads and williebill like this.
  10. Clark

Clark

Ill have to get a pic of the lifter. We have one motor set up with the cam and one nos. The lifters are 2 piece a bronze insert and the lifter. 20190922_143751.jpg

Okie Pete, warbird1, nosford and 7 others like this.
  11. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Cool, Thanks for the photo looking forward to seeing the lifters. I'd sure like to see Ted Eaton test this on his dyno.

12. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Always been a y block fan, my first car was a 54 ford with a sweet little 239 in it. As of now I am sitting on a handful of em but one in particular I am thinking about building, 312 in a 56 merc wagon. I scored this little gem and was just thinking about how a 312 with this on top would scoot a small early ford not to mention being a neat traditional look 20230321_112301.jpg

13. I don't know about how well they perform but from what I understand those teapot carbs are prone to leaking. Even with that drawback it would be cool to rebuild them and use them. I say go for it! Just post up some photos.

oliver westlund likes this.
  14. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Ill rebuild em, not worried about leaking, traditional hot roddings never been about safety haha....ill pack a fire extinguisher

46international likes this.
  15. pnevells

pnevells

Almost burnt my 56 Vicky to the ground from a leaky teapot on a 312

oliver westlund and nosford like this.
  16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've heard a few Ford guys refer to them as "towering infernos".

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since the carbs are mounted reversed I’ll assume this is from a 57 T-bird which needs a different valley cover. You can turn them around for the car. The carbs are fine and should work with a 57 up distributor. If someone used earlier carbs you will need a Loadmatic distributor. Ted Eaton has letter on how to covert earlier carbs with 57 up ignitions.
    Overhauled correctly they are fine and get a bad rap. Hundreds of thousands worked fine. Our family owned 2 cars with them. A conversion to later carbs need adapters and AFB’s will work on them. Also any small base WCFB’s will work but it’s best to find identical ones.
    I’ve run 2-4’s on my stock 292 for 7 years trouble free using WCFB’s…good luck 87F809C3-F22A-478E-A2BC-A18A1A2324B0.jpeg

Spooky, ffr1222k, Okie Pete and 7 others like this.
  18. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I think I have the correct valley cover but a hammer can fix one too... i prefer the teapots personally, period rods with period carbs, I will probably dress the engine to look like it was yanked right out of a 57 bird! Appreciate the tips!

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 56 Ford offered a performance package at the parts counter for law enforcement and racing. It had a 2-4 manifold, Holley carbs, cam, etc. Merc dealers offered the same package with Carter WCFB’s with were standard at one of their assembly plants; both were rated at 260 hp. Small base Carter WCFB four barrel carb were used 2 years before the Fords use of Holleys so they and Rochester small base are defiantly “correct” or any early 50’s engine.
    The original air cleaners are the problem to find and expensive when the are. Here is a one year only 56 NASCAR approved Purolator air cleaner for a Ford. The civilian ones were different. A81AC3EF-1EBB-46D2-951E-7528724A74CD.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  20. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Could probably make an air cleaner that looks dang close to that! Nascar only version would be cool too!

21. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

We all know that the y-block has long con rods that helps with high revs and has less sideways force on the bore. Also slightly longer at the top of the stroke giving a better burn.
    It also has solid lifters which we know is good for high revving engines. Rocker shafts which reduce friction and hp loss. An air gap inlet manifold that keeps the air fuel mixture cool. A strong deep skirted block.
    An engine that dominated motor racing in its heyday.
    So why is it that an engine with so many inbuilt performance features and successful racing history is so widely rubbished as just a junk boat anchor. And infact engines that have none of these features are considered superior?

williebill, USMercUte, Cooon and 4 others like this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of them had the dropped center on the top but Ford had the only double ridges on the top. Each car manufacturers was basically the same with different hold downs. Fords bottom was the only one with the larger holes for the air horn.

oliver westlund likes this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cylinder head intake passage design for higher rpm and upper oil oiling high was not a problem for racing.
    Today the ones used in passenger cars have fixed the oiling with the center cam bearing grooves in either the block or bearing.
    Heads, not much. If Ford would have used the 317 Lincoln intake style port style things may have been different. Also bore size and stroke limits.

aussie57wag likes this.
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, I have a Y block that I may do something with eventually. I know this is a dead horse subject, but is there a solution for the upper rockers getting lubrication?

I know that the oils have improved and maybe that in itself is enough? I know they used to have a kit to plumb an additional oil line to the rockers. I'm sure it may have been previously covered.....I am going back through the 11 pages and reacquaint myself with all of it.

25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

.030”-.060” groove in the center cam bore in the block will assure continuous oil up to the heads. Some cam bearings come with the groove.
    Chamfer all block and head passages and smooth all casting, good rocker arm shafts in the proper orientation. Some eliminate the over flow tubes. I leave them because the passenger side oils the timing chain and drivers side oil the distributor gear.
    10w-30 “hot rod” high zinc detergent oil.
    Tim McMaster in Hartford Ca. and Ted Eaton in Leona Tx are well known Y-Block gurus…John Mummert in Escondido Ca is a manufacturer of yblock parts and has many YouTube videos. Hot Rod Reverend Daniel Jessup also does them.
    John Mummert and Blue Thunder have excellent aluminum 4 barrel intakes and other dress up accessories.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  26. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Yes, the current oils would probably do it, but the real safe solution is as mentioned before either a grooved center bearing or grooved block. My preference is the grooved block. All these solutions cure the overhead issue very well. No need to do that old overhead tubing deal. That was an almost "too late" solution back then. Or sold as an easier cheaper fix. Before you get into it there are several handbooks on the rebuild to get the most out of the yblock for your money.

williebill and jimmy six like this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks guys. Who knows if I will ever do anything with it. I have about 8 engines on different stands, so it may or may not make it into something.

28. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Very cool.

29. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

So here is a link to Ted Eaton's discussion of said oiling issues. And illustration of the various ways to conquer the cam bearing culprit. It's an easy fix if you start this way in my opinion. Ted is one of the Gurus of the Y-block with the record engines to prove it. Also he has done extensive dyno testing on many of the Y-block speed parts and combos available which can answer most questions on efficiency, reliability and power, all on his website.

aussie57wag and warbird1 like this.
  30. Well, I have posted in the past about our 1932 Y-Block powered build so I thought I would post the end of the story. Our car sold and went to Washington state last week so we are on to our next build, a 27 Ford track roadster 272 Y-Block powered. The 32 came out great, I hope the 27 comes out as well as it did. Mark 361196820_6593771934013262_7283318108600578470_n.jpg