Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Adventures of Bob the Big Ol’ Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, May 28, 2022.

1. 2Blue2

2Blue2

That grill is awesome!

guthriesmith likes this.
  2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OZDZ1779.JPG SCSX4889.JPG Well done! Your grandkid is gonna love riding in this tank! I´ve put an Isofix bracket under the backseat of my 55 Chevy 4dr so I can just click in the same baby seat my wife is using in her later model car . Our son Xaver seems to enjoy the roadtrips . We had a nice roadtrip through the Alps over the Easter Weekend.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    bchctybob, 34 5W Paul, Thor1 and 17 others like this.
  3. Jim the Sweep

Jim the Sweep

My Kids all grew up in 60s cars back in the early 2000s. Seatbelts are a pain but you cant risk not having them strapped in properly. Even now they remember eating from the walnut picnic tables in my 1960 VDP 3litre. Part of their education.All those poor kids in dull Audi people carriers, what will they remember? the in seat entertainment screen?

drdave and guthriesmith like this.
  4. Granpa car indeed!! I was certainly not one when, in 1954, I bought the first one. Had not even taken the first step to being a Pa.

Ben

guthriesmith likes this.
  5. I have always liked 4 door cars. They were always cheaper and more plentiful over a 2 door. I also had a bunch of station wagons that were cool cars. That Buick was a score, have fun with it. Me, I would just spiff it up and get it to be ultra reliable and put some miles on it.

6. jim snow

jim snow

Good get. I’m sure you’ll get a lot of enjoyment from it. Snowman ⛄️

guthriesmith likes this.
  7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

:cool:,enjoy!

guthriesmith likes this.
  8. BJR

BJR

Some of us here love old Buicks. But redoing the chrome can break the bank. Ask me how I know.

Damon777, 41 GMC K-18, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  9. Yea, I have always loved the look of the 50’s Buick’s. Just something about the bold grill that I have always liked. And, some of my comment about not being able to afford to redo the chrome had you in mind. Yours has turned out great!

10. Very cool! You have a cute son that will never forget those road trips! I know my boys grew up the same in the back of my 52 Chevy and still remember the road trips. My oldest is turning 18 next weekend and is asking where we are going on a road trip in his Edsel. :cool:

11. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

That thing is awesome, good find and good for you realizing a more door is every bit as desireable just because it's not a belly button rig. It helps to be the guy people think of when they trip across old stuff. With limited concern where you park it, combined with no problem finding it in the lot, I'd drive it anywhere. We went to a British car show last weekend and I found myself staring at stuff I've walked by for years. My wife wants to get rid of her people hauler now that our guys don't need us to ferry them around so much. She wants something British but, also likes the 40's Dodges. It appears we do have some influence on them.

12. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I'd do the same but add some rumble pipes :D
    Some good chrome polish on that grill is enough to let 'em know you're coming down the road.

Joe

13. I'd cut it up and make a 52 Skylark out of it, cut the top off, chop the windshield, add a convertible top, weld the back doors shut, extend the front doors, put a dip in the body like a 53 Skylark and paint it Titian Red. A lot of work, I'm tired just thinking about it. I owned a 53 Skylark for 12 years so I'm leaning that way.

hotrodjack33, guthriesmith and SS327 like this.
  14. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Boring? No I don't think so. That Buick's got class! It doesn't take much to make 'em cool... my Plymouth was my uncle's "Boring old car".

15. When most of us were kids our parent's drove boring 4 door cars, as teenagers we wanted a 2 door because in out=r minds they were much cooler, as I have aged my prospective in cars has changed and I find cars that one time I would not want to be seen in are now cars that I gravitate too.

Yeah the big bulky Buicks, the 4 doors I find the older I get the more they appeal, In recent years I have owned 2 Deuce 4 doors.

Congratulations on your new/old Buick. HRP

41 GMC K-18 and guthriesmith like this.
  16. BJR

BJR

Somehow a Deuce 4 dr doesn't feel like a Grampa car. :D

17. Yea, may have actually been my parents that ruined me more than anything. My folks always drove 2-door cars with 4-speeds like vettes and T/A’s. My dad still drives a 2 door SS Monte Carlo. I’m sure this Buick is a hot rod compared to my stock 26 Buick 4 door I had a few years ago. :D

I am hoping to pick it up tomorrow so I can start checking things out. :cool:

18. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i agree about changing tastes. your post reminds me of an old jan & dean (?) song, "schlock rod," concerning a '47 buick!

guthriesmith likes this.
  19. Dman

Dman

1950 Buicks are great. I just sold mine last fall.

guthriesmith likes this.
  20. phat rat

phat rat

I'm 78 and I'm still not old enough for my hot rod/old car to have 4 drs. But whatever turns your prop is your decision. My wife and I just went for a drive in the roadster yesterday, last week-end I put about 130 mi on it. I have the cpe for the extra long drives

bchctybob, mrspeedyt and guthriesmith like this.
  21. Cool car. Always loved the 50 Buicks with that grille. I see an older 4 door as this being a great cruiser. Get it reliable, maybe lower just a couple inches (works on all of the big cruiser sedan cars). Then pile it full of friends or family, and hit the road. Have more fun with relatively small cost and effort.

22. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

Boring?!?! Fell in love with that grille when I were around 10, when I turned 30 I bought one, just love that ol Buick, the straight eight just whispers drivning down the street.

23. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since we are granpa's I guess we should be driving boring grandpa cars. Fortunately we are Blessed and can drive something kool. Congrats buying such a sweet ride, you are going to have a blast. Looking forward to your future post...

24. Got her loaded up. I tried to start it to load it the easy way, but finally gave up and used a come along when the battery didn’t seem to want to hold a charge yet. Anyway, probably best to check it all out before firing it off anyway. Also, since I haven’t heard that car port dust is worth as much as barn dust, I went ahead and gave her a bath too. :rolleyes:

AB488DDD-921A-4AE3-B2F9-0F4DEA1DC5E6.jpeg 2ED3ABC9-3E4B-4564-AD41-BDBDEEB908E8.jpeg 15121FF3-1001-4DD0-8DCC-6F1E464060DA.jpeg 20F0BBBC-E1DB-456E-905C-8E32337393E1.jpeg 95A57274-8C12-4774-BFD3-72B39076BA2A.jpeg

25. Gonna be a fun car! Congrats! Even as an orthodontist, I've never gotten into '50 Buick grilles though... haha!

26. Hahaha...but look how straight her teeth are! :D

Sancho, mrspeedyt, Budget36 and 6 others like this.
  27. CME1

CME1

That is a great looking Buick. I think this car looks best as a 4-dr. And the grille, WOW, it is really what makes the car stand out! And that is my opinion.:)

Aaron65, 41 GMC K-18 and guthriesmith like this.
  28. SS327

SS327

Carport dust is worthless compared to barn dust. Good call on washing it. May as well go ahead and wax it too and polish the chrome. Get that practice in now.

29. After you get the grille and bumper all polished up you should think about taking one tooth out and having it gold plated. Or at least give it a coat of rattle can gold metalflake and a shot of clear.

Treat her to a bit of "bling" . . .
    :rolleyes:

30. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOT DAM !!!!!!!!
    The grand old lady's charm and appeal, is very much alive under the car port dust !
    Looking forward to seeing what the " FLITZ " cleaner/polish will do for all of the chrome and trim!

mrspeedyt, Budget36 and guthriesmith like this.