Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Adventures of Bob the Big Ol’ Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, May 28, 2022.

1. What a difference!

Greenblade and guthriesmith like this.
  2. You're getting on a slippery slope here. :eek: Better get some ice cleats to strap on your boots. And maybe some snow shoes for Bob!
    :p

Thor1, Dos Cincos and guthriesmith like this.
  3. Thankfully, budget keeps me firmly attached to the slope and not rolling down it. :D I did have to go wash it just now after installing those new parts.

Fixing to take my father in law to a doctors appointment down in OKC, so figured we would take Bob. :cool:

Sancho, 41 GMC K-18, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  4. Bob’s first adventure to the big city in likely the last 50 years if not possibly the first time ever. Anyway, nice day for a drive. Even saw a cute little t-bird out as well.

Oh, and found out I screwed up and didn’t get the rod from the trunk lock back in the slot right apparently. Found that as I went to load my father in laws wheelchair. That is when not having a nice interior came in handy to load the chair in the back seat. :D Looks like I will be pulling the rear seat and climbing through the trunk soon.

893CE78D-095F-4B2C-9B99-99925F3CF0C4.jpeg CA67B65A-0FC3-4CC7-823B-E44E5B403CEB.jpeg FA213AB6-7ECD-452D-9863-681A740B7D39.jpeg E6E14017-E76B-4E72-A20B-AF469F748909.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    Sancho, Squablow, Nostrebor and 11 others like this.
  5. Oh No! I did the same. You likely will not get into the trunk through the space behind the seat. I couldn't.
    Several 3/8th extensions, about 4 feet, and a screw driver taped to the end. Took awhile. Then getting the blade into the slot was a chore!

Good Luck

Ben

6. That’s what I was afraid of. When Silas couldn’t get Pinky’s trunk opened, it was clear access behind the rear seat. But, most GM cars I have owned had bracing across that area keeping you from crawling in like on the Edsel. Always something.

7. Racked up about 100 miles on Bob today. Can’t complain about that in late December. :D

Sancho, Ford52PU, Turnipseed and 5 others like this.
  8. Cross brace AND a cardboard on the back side of the brace. Just sorta, kinda, shoved it out of the way.
    I meant to warn you about that problem having just done mine. Sorry. Have to be like Santa "making a list and checking it twice".

Ben

9. There are quite a few Sinclair Stations out west. I buy from them every year on our annual pilgrimage to Sturgis.

10. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

When I removed and painted the plastic i did exactly the same, missed the slot...
    You can't climb between the bars, I took a metal bar and welded a piece at the end that fitted the slot and in a "click" you're in

Really nice with the new Dynaflow plastic

Thor1, firstinsteele and guthriesmith like this.
  11. What better way to start off 2023 than to drive Bob to church. :D Brought my daughter with me so she grabbed a rare pic of the driver. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year everyone! :)

8C5FAEF5-08B2-4D41-B130-C873D90D256A.jpeg 2B69FDB6-9DE8-4D1F-9A4A-19BFF3B83DDB.jpeg A6EE67B4-77AA-41E6-BCDF-684DBEDF1A65.jpeg

12. Turnipseed and guthriesmith like this.
  13. v8flat44

v8flat44

I get the strong feeling that Bob is NOT boring anymore. The smile on those 2 faces say just the opposite.

Acres, Turnipseed and guthriesmith like this.
  14. Not yet. I may do that tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Sancho and firstinsteele like this.
  15. Very true. Maybe I should change the thread title since it really never was boring to be honest. :)

Fixed!

16. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It turned out beautiful. Thank you for taking the time to save a low mileage oldie. I’m glad you are getting to use it. When you drive it, don’t you just love all the thumbs up you get from most people. I know when I drive my low mileage 64 Caddy, I think it gets more attention than my old coupe.

GirchyGirchy, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  17. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

By the way, maybe you have mentioned this but if so i have missed it, hows Bobs performance now after all driving, any improvements?
    Looks like he's reliable and thats one of the most important things.
    I'm kind of jealous, wish i could take mine for a ride.

Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  18. How is the gas mileage?

guthriesmith likes this.
  19. Thanks! Yea, I can’t go anywhere without getting tons of looks and comments. I probably had 10 people track me down in church just today to ask about it not including all the smiles and thumbs up on the highway.

It’s running better, but still needs a basic tuneup. Yea, I can’t lie that it is nice to drive this old stuff pretty much year round where I live.

Seems to be right at 10 mpg after checking it the last two tanks.

20. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Does old bob need some heat? Looks like your daughter has a blanket on lol

guthriesmith likes this.
  21. Lol! Nah, she is just always cold. She was born in India where it was a very warm and tropical climate. :D

22. Yes seems like Buicks of the late 40s to the early 50s with Straight 8s get that with the Dynaflow Transmission.

guthriesmith likes this.
  23. Trying to equal out the gas mileage deal a bit at the grocery store.

BD2A90E6-1084-44E6-8686-6BB842BE65EA.jpeg

24. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Hahahaha that’s funny and a good pic. Let’s see that Tesla running 60 years from now.

car looks great.

side note did you ever try the aluminum foil and water trick? Just came across my mind

25. man, that Buick sure cleaned up nice,...looks like a comfy ride.

guthriesmith likes this.
  26. No, but since you reminded me, I just took some aluminum foil out to the shop so I can try it. I also haven’t tried the horn button trick with Vaseline yet either but thought if that tonight driving home.

Thanks and yea, it is a pretty cushy ride. :D

27. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

The Tesla beats Bob in mpg, but compared in style and looks the Tesla looks like a plastic joke.

28. Gassed up Bob tonight for a little further trip tomorrow evening. Joel Davis of Davis Haus of Style is doing a chop class in Mustang, Oklahoma this weekend that starts tomorrow evening. Silas is driving Pinky straight from vo-tech, so I guess I will just meet him there. Should be fun to learn to chop a car. I have done lots of patch panels, bodywork, etc. but have never chopped a car. Nobody worry...Bob isn’t getting chopped. But, I have my eye on a 40 Merc coupe that I am going to try to buy at auction next week that would be a perfect victim. :cool:

drdave, Sancho, 41 GMC K-18 and 8 others like this.
  29. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

2019 01 12 Chop class.jpg
    January 2019, Phoenix, AZ. Joel is the tall guy in the background. It was a great class with a great crew.

Russ

drdave, Thor1, bchctybob and 4 others like this.
  30. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I did one a few years ago with Joel. It was a very fun weekend of fellowship, and I learned a bunch of neat things. You'll have a great time!