Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Adventures of Bob the Big Ol’ Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, May 28, 2022.

1. Yep, you are right. :D Needed sugar for the honeybees this morning since it has been such a drought, so what better to drive to get it. Also, looks a little better to me with 150 lbs in the trunk.

EBD86B75-69D0-4660-85CC-9B72A7A2BA20.jpeg

2. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Lol, I also always park a foot over the line to the left! The other day I was driving my ot sports car and had it parked like that. It was a nice day so the a few buddies were outside the bar, one of them the owner who's a friend. He says "why do you park like that @zzh0le?". And just then a couple little old ladies that were eating lunch came out. The driver went to the car next to me and opened the door, and let it go, and it went all the way open and certainly would've smacked my car. He said oh, but reminded me I'm still an @zzh0le anyway....

But yeah, nice safe parking there Jeff! :cool:

bchctybob, SS327, LWEL9226 and 3 others like this.
  3. Yea, I have been given a hard time for the way I park from non-car folks for almost 40 years now. Some will never get it. Anyway, here is the stance with 150 lbs of sugar in the trunk (although it might also somewhat be how it is parked in this pic). I need to get the springs swapped out so it will look more like this all the time. :cool:

E38665AA-A046-4B2F-9F43-8C32EB6B2E1D.jpeg

4. But at least you're a SMART @zzhole!

Sancho, 210superair and guthriesmith like this.
  5. My grandpa drove around in his 41 Cad with 200 lbs of sand in the trunk all the time. He told me that’s what they used to do back in the day.

Tim, Sancho, SS327 and 4 others like this.
  6. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

Yes thats the right stance!!
    But it's better with swapped springs, driving around everyday with heavy load too get the stance will for sure not improve the lack of power.

7. I knew someone that poured cement (wet) into the rear quarters of an old Mustang to aid traction. The lime in the cement ate through both quarters...

8. Wow...that’s one I have never heard and makes sense why. :eek:

bobss396 and Sancho like this.
  9. Got frustrated working on a late model last night and needed to just go for a drive. So, the obvious car to drive to relax was the Buick. I did catch a couple good pics of the sunset. Oh, and also drove it in to work again this morning. :D

IMG_5738[1].JPG IMG_5739[1].JPG

10. Had to drive to another building at work this morning to work on my fun project for the day and caught the sun coming up. Oh, and the other project has a few more hp than the ol’ Buick...had to change a head gasket on it and should get it back together and running today.

2B3F58B8-29DB-403B-97CD-35421ADBB68F.jpeg B6869EBE-A8B4-489B-9BE2-735ED02E8336.jpeg 7EB25522-7E8A-44D9-887C-7D0DF292AA81.jpeg

11. Ive always wondered, why do superchargers use straps?

guthriesmith likes this.
  12. In case it blows up. The straps keep it from flying.

13. i guess that makes sense, wouldn't want a 30 pound chunk of metal flying into any people nearby...

guthriesmith likes this.
  14. Scores of FED drivers were killed or maimed by blower explosions back in the day.

guthriesmith likes this.
  15. And it is in ?????

Ben

guthriesmith likes this.
  16. A very OT tractor called the Super Witch. It’s basically a hot rod trencher that we use as a marketing tool. The guy that has run it for more than 40 years is looking to retire and pass the baton. I have been involved with it for about 10 years now and get the privilege of being the caretaker going forward. It’s a pretty cool gig.

17. Gotcha! Sorta like a certain company's "fastest lawn mower in the world" thing.

Ben

Okie Pete, Sancho and guthriesmith like this.
  18. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

Thats some nice late night photos, a Buick ride is a great antistress metod, quiet soft smooth ride, and just hold that thin steering wheel and lookin out over that long hood, it makes me smiling only thinking of it.

A blower engine, another things that bring smiles, gotta get one someday.
    A couple years ago i saw one 871 (without straps) get a backfire and throw the blower ca 4-5 meters in the air, no injuries, the belt made it flip forward and up in the air, use too think of some blown boats iv'e seen without straps, worst case would throw that heavy blower right at the driver and passanger

Okie Pete and guthriesmith like this.
  19. So...seems driving the Buick to work lately might have just helped me end up with an old pickup. I have been keeping eye out for something I could use as a shop truck/ cool cruiser and a guy at work turned me onto a 61 GMC that a friend of his has. Sounds like original family owned and has about 40k miles on it. More to come since I am going to see it now...

C468141B-C8D2-4839-AC82-C4C66C071B25.jpeg

20. Does that have the 305 V6?

guthriesmith likes this.
  21. I believe so.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve heard this from the old timers more than I havnt. I believe there’s more than one 50’s magazine shoot that the coils got pulled and bags of cement and rocks loaded up for the pictures

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    drdave, Sancho and guthriesmith like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

^^^^. Has a dent in the rear, take it back;)

24. I considered...but, now I have a grandpa farm truck to go along with the grandpa Buick. :D

25. The 305 V6 is pretty cool, they have a throaty exhaust note, but are gas hogs, good torque.

Might not be super practical to drive to work but a good farm truck.

guthriesmith likes this.
  26. tmi_tlt

tmi_tlt

Gorgeous GMC! Looking forward to seeing more of it and the Buick!

guthriesmith likes this.
  27. I went to school with a couple of guys that were brothers and shared a Corvair. One of their tricks to give it a rake was to throw a few concrete blocks in the "trunk".

Tim and guthriesmith like this.

28. Good score!

guthriesmith likes this.
  29. So now we got what, Bob and Jimmy?
    :p

Okie Pete, guthriesmith and Dan Hay like this.