Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Adventures of Bob the Big Ol’ Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, May 28, 2022.

1. So, after squirrel posted the thread “boring old cars” about his Rambler, it got me to really considering how my taste in cars has changed over the years. I grew up wanting nothing other than a two door anything and that anything pretty much needed to be a muscle car of some sort because I liked to go fast. Me and several buddies did lots of street racing and were sort of the small car guy crowd in high school by the mid-80’s when I was a teenager. Anyway, muscle cars is about all I messed with until right before I adopted a couple boys in 2004. That seemed like a good time to get a “family” car, so I sold the Corvette that I had been daily driving and bought a 52 Chevy two door sedan that was a “finished” car complete with a sbc, 700r4, and one of those later model front suspensions that we don’t talk about here. That was technically my first car older than the 60’s that wasn’t just focused on going fast. That is also when I joined the HAMB since I knew very little about anything other than 55-57 Chevy’s from the 50’s since one of my best friends folks restored those. So, that started me down a path of liking to actually drive my old cars a lot instead of just stoplight to stoplight in town or down a drag strip. I decided that I liked taking road trips in these old cars for no good reason at all other than to relax and go back in time a bit to a simpler time. I bought my 52 and flew to Chicago to pick it up. Pretty sure that trip driving it back to Oklahoma was one of the funnest things I had done in an old car since I started messing with them at age 12. That same summer that I drove the 52 home, my brother also gave me his 68 Chevelle that we had built as his first car. He had decided he didn’t really want to mess with it anymore, but also wasn’t ready to completely let it go. We had lots of fun in that car. It was in Hot Rod magazine, we had street raced some of the Street Outlaws in it way before they went “big time”, etc. Our plan on that car to get it from Detroit to Oklahoma was to tow it since it definitely wasn’t a good highway car. My brother towed it from Detroit to my grandparents place in southern Illinois, then I was planning to tow it the rest of the way. While we were there, my grandfather ended up in the hospital so my wife, an RN, decided to stay behind and help my grandmother care for my grandpa for a bit. But, I had to get home to get back to work. My wife needed a car and I also needed a ride, so I figured it might be fun to drive the Chevelle home like I did the 52. It was also a blast, but 4500 rpm all the way home in August at about 65 mph can wear a guy out too. Those two back to back trips is what likely helped me decide that I liked being able to actually drive this old stuff long distances more than just race them.

So, all that leads me to my latest purchase. This is a car that I wouldn’t have even looked twice at 20 years ago. I saw it as boring and for some old guy or maybe even just as a parts car for a two door. One thing I have come to understand over just the past few years is that most folks could care less how many doors an old car has. And, it is every bit as much fun to drive one with extra doors. Anyway, since I became a grandpa late last year, I figured maybe I am old enough to now own a grandpa car. Lol

The way I tripped across this one is that I used to drive around town on my lunch breaks looking for old cars. I saw this one sitting exactly where the pics are taken probably 15 or so years ago. Anyway, a co-worker who knew I was into cars saw me last Friday and pulled his phone out to show me a pic of a car he was considering buying and told me the price they were asking (WAY reasonable). The owner had actually approached his son who mowed for them about my co-worker possibly being interested. When I saw the pic, I instantly knew the car and where it was. This co-worker is more of the muscle car guy I used to be and wasn’t overly excited about this old 50 Buick. So, I told him if he decided against it, let me know. So, fast forward a week when I drive my sons Edsel to work and it broke down on me on the way. After bumming a ride with someone else the rest of the way to work, I jokingly sent this co-worker a text asking if he was gonna let me buy the Buick since I needed a ride home after leaving the Edsel on the side of the highway. It took him a couple hours to reply, but he finally told me he wasn’t buying it and gave me the contact information. I called immediately and went to go talk to the owner. I found out that the car was originally ordered by his dad right there in town, it had a couple owners after his dad traded it in and before he ended up buying it back about 50 years later. He then gave it to the son who has had it up to now and is in one of the pics. It has less than 67k miles on it now, has the straight 8 and Dynaflow transmission that was recently gone through. It has a fairly new battery and should just need a battery charge and change of fluids as well as some tires to be a driver. Oh, and since I know this car was a great deal, I will also be hauling off some limbs for the previous owner as part of the deal. Not sure I have ever paid asking price and also offered to do some work. Anyway, I’ll haul it home this coming week and begin to check it all out. But, for now, I have a boring grandpa car that needs seatbelts in the rear soon to haul my 6 month old grandson around. Maybe this can be my summer car while I swap the engine and transmission in the 56.

I’ll keep adding to this as the adventure starts soon. And, sorry for the rambling, but sometimes reading the stuff here on the HAMB really makes me think...

5989F39A-42F4-4CA6-B4E4-B888D7ACFF45.jpeg 026C688B-A867-4E90-B0E5-5BDC0A21E0DC.jpeg A08B69C8-4E6D-4047-BFB0-2FEB8DD70318.jpeg AF46BBD6-7BDC-46C0-8701-9B607CF0F921.jpeg B3AFFA95-7AF1-4EB8-954A-AC625A4DB0DD.jpeg AB28EFCE-1F3F-4511-B05F-D86C7C68494F.jpeg EE2F94E2-4371-4173-BBBB-B896B7FA7C61.jpeg

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

That one will buff out….

3. Yep, the paint is decent other than a couple areas where they didn’t sand it good before a repaint.

Okie Pete, VANDENPLAS, Sancho and 6 others like this.

4. Cool ride. I have 5 kids and can only afford 4 doors so… grandpa cars for life!

5. SS327

SS327

You will enjoy the old boat! We had one at the Buick dealer I had worked at.

6. Squablow

Squablow

Neat car, I'd drive that, too. Kinda odd to me that the son would want to sell the car his dad bought brand new but whatever, seems like a good score if the price was right.

7. Agreed. But, the son knows nothing about cars and is in bad enough health that he can’t drive it anymore. Not sure he wanted to sell, but knew it was time.

8. I like your story, sir. The car as well, as you know.
    Good luck

Ben

41 GMC K-18 and guthriesmith like this.
  9. Old Buicks are anything but boring, even with the suspension in good shape the back seat is a carnival ride. Nice score.

10. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

All right! I'm on board for the ride!

About to become a grandpa myself in the next couple of weeks.

Devin

11. Congrats Devin!

Okie Pete, VANDENPLAS and hrm2k like this.
  12. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I can see your point. Nothing wrong w/ owning a hot rod and a cruiser. :)
    How about split manifold and glasspacks? Okay, turbos? :D

Joe

13. Yea...it won’t likely stay completely stock. :cool: Notice it has “Customs” as the header...

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I can appreciate you saving another old one . The large in your face grills are one of my favorite parts . I get the Buick will be good hands with you in particular. One thing that strikes me is if you keep it and hand it down to your kids , that they will have an appreciation for the Buick .

15. And, hopefully you all don’t think for a second that I am not pretty excited to get this car. It isn’t boring to me at this point in life...just would have been 30 years ago. :D All three kids still at home and my wife all really like it too. :cool:

Okie Pete, VANDENPLAS, Sancho and 6 others like this.
  16. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I'm following along. You have a knack for finding nice old cruisers. This one is a beaut like the Edsel :cool:

Joe

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's a cool car. I just like old cars, all kinds. the only old cars I don't like are those that have been modified in a way I don't care for. most of the old cars I have owned have been just old stockers in good shape.

18. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The element of " Old Cars " Literally is as close as we can come, to owning mobile time machines.
    By you procuring that kick ass, toothy grin, " GRANDPA " Buick, you have preserved an excellent example what America used to manufacture and enjoy!
    As the Buick evolves in your care now, your grand child is really going to enjoy riding around in it with you and to have many cool adventures cruising around America!

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  19. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on a great purchase.
    It still looks great even unwashed.
    Should be a ball to drive.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thumbs up, Mr. G
    I've had a couple of those big old Buicks. Really enjoyed them. You and family do the same.

21. SS327

SS327

Just be careful! The hood likes to fly off those! Make sure the latches are in great shape. They do like to deform so keep an eye on them. That is the biggest thing to watch out for. Keep the front end well lubed and trans and rear end levels up.

22. Those cars look so cool from the front! Chrome, baby!

23. Fun car.

SS327 and guthriesmith like this.
  24. Oh no.... you've gone over to the Geezer side! Actually, 4 doors make for a much easier life if there's more than two of you (damned kids are always in, out, screwin' around!), and certainly easier if you have stuff to put in the car without popping the truck, folding the seat forward, etc. The doors are lighter, too! It's nice to have a car that the whole family can enjoy!
    Nice score... Congrats!

25. SS327

SS327

Here’s another helpful tip. If you ever decide to get the beautiful grill and bumper rechromed make sure you mark each piece where exactly they go. You would be amazed at all the ways you can put that magnificent waterfall grille and bumper back together wrong! :confused:o_O

26. Thanks and good info, but pretty sure there is no way I could afford to ever get that much rechromed. :eek:

27. Nice. "Grandpa's" always had style. Best of luck with it!

guthriesmith likes this.
  28. rivguy

rivguy

That's a great car. I was a Buick guy for quite a few years. Love the grille. Would not mind a car like that, especially in that condition.

chryslerfan55, guthriesmith and SS327 like this.
  29. SS327

SS327

Back in 87 when we had the front grille and bumper rechromed and straightened for triple chrome plating (copper, nickel, chrome) show plating was about $750.00 if I remember right. All else was in great shape. I just repolished everything else.

chryslerfan55 and guthriesmith like this.