Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 60th Anniversary Hot Rod Hill Climb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicks Hot Rod Garage, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Mike..I think Marcy has a few of those Trophy Toppers in her inventory.... make contact and inquire.

2. How about this...

A slusher! It's off an S.C.T.A. trophy from the early fifties. The story is that Gus Maanum did the modeling for it. It's a real beauty.

[​IMG]

I found it in a google image search, on hotrodonline.com

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  3. Elrod

Elrod

Would think someone could cast up some of those toppers in aluminum, paint 'em gold and put them on a block of wood.

I love that slusher ^^

4. Those trophies are dope! I just sent in my reg. but I forgot to put that I'm a 40 year old long-haired gentleman farmer from Kansas!

5. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Probably won't happen this year with our first child due in October, but maybe next year.

Still have alot of family in Colorado so I am sure we will back soon to visit.

Where can I get a shirt?

6. Mike, this event looks like so much fun. I have it on my radar and would like to attend. My wifes uncle is Arlin Fatland in Arvada. He owns 2 Wheelers Motorcycle shop. You should get over there and give him a shout and let him know what's going on. He could probably get some period bobbers there and post some flyers/posters. I have been wanting to get back to Denver and if I can talk the wife into it I'll be there. What about helmets? No mention of that in your requirements.

Attached Files:

7. tractorguy

tractorguy

Great idea ! I also was fortunate to get a box of old Hot Rods and LOVED the issue with the hill climb and results. Some of the greatest times in my life were attending Pikes Peak.....on dirt....in the late 1980's. I remember.....the beauty of Colorado mountains......eggs/bacon/potatoes on a campfire at dawn.....and most of all standing on "the edge" and having dirt thrown at me by the most diverse horsepower I had ever witnessed......and some great Coors for the slow trip down the mountain !!
    I have just sent you an entry for my 1946 Solar Mfgr. rail frame dirt track midget and my brothers original 1948 Indian Chief. Please.....please.....please pick us !!

8. orangepeel

orangepeel
    from arvada, co

There is a handwritten old piece of paper taped to the bottom of the trophy. It was written by my dad with all the info for the engraver to include on the brass plaque.....back when trophies were real wood and brass type metal.....not the plastic junk given out today......

9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If there are motorbike entries left later on I'll enter this badass hog. Notice that high performance mill in it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I definitely have to plan on my coupe running up this mountain...entry to follow

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'll try... working on my '13 travel plans this week. I missed out on the Jersey Shore deal on the beach, so I hope to be there with my not so trad ride, at least to spectate if I'm not allowed to run. Gary

12. Fudge yeah! Lets race!

13. I was lucky enough to meet with Pete Garramone this weekend, he gave me a few more great history lessons, and of course some new pictures!

Check out this uniquely bobbed 1934 Ford was from the Colorado Springs Camwinders Club, owner/driver is believed to be Tom Carroll. Pictured here in Georgetown in 1954.

[​IMG]

Another Camwinder entry, the ’34 coupe of Major Martin.

[​IMG]

Looking for any information on the Camwinders of Colorado Springs, not sure if any of the original members of the 50's are still around, or how to get ahold of any current members.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  14. MORE HISTORY....

A couple weeks ago I joined the old timers from the DTA (Denver Timing Association) for breakfast. One of the many highlights was listening to Cal Kennedy and Bud Irons tell me stories about the 1950's in Denver. It was the birth of Drag Racing in these parts, Wally Parks and the Drag Safari came to Lowery Air Force Base in 1955, and these guys were there.

[​IMG]

The Starting Line at the 1955 Drag Safari in Denver

[​IMG]

One of the stories Cal told was about his 1934 Chevy with the Wayne 12 port six at the Camwinders drag strip east of Colorado Springs. The strip was dirt, the Camwinders had bought an old water tanker truck, collected used oil from the filling stations in Colorado Springs and sprayed it on the track to keep the dust down. Apparently it worked pretty well too!<O:p</O:p

[​IMG]

Cal went on to tell a story of Kenz and Leslie racing there, in the early 50's. As one would expect, traction was an issue for everyone. Those two came out one weekend with bolts in their tires, huge washers on each side of the rubber, and huge nuts on the outside. Much like what you would see at an ice raceing event today. Cal explained it was a disaster as the dragster took off it launched the nuts and bolts into the sky, they rained down like a shotgun blast! He recalled helping to unload the tires at the event, "they weighed a ton".

Ed Leslie standing next to a dragster which was nothing more than a roadster with the body removed. In the background is the main stands of Centennial Race Track.

[​IMG]

The K&L twin engine dragster. I think this is the only time that Kenz & Leslie ran a twin car. This was 1953. It weighed 1850 lbs. and ran 116.27 mph on the narrow road. This was the only car to break 100 mph.
    [​IMG]

Back to the Kennedy-Scroggs Chevy...
    <O:p
    There were some hot rodders from Pueblo that frequented the drags, "Bean Bandits", Cal called them, brothers Midnight and Chief Castaneda that raced a car called "Esmeralda". I relayed the story to Pete Garammone last Sunday, he told me they were actually in a club called the "Conquestadors". Cal recalled the two being great guys, always willing to help, and there to race. At one of the drag races cal ran the roadster class with Chevy, he was bumped out of the bracket. The Casaneda's offered to help him pull the roadster body off the chassis so he could run in the dragster class. The officials told him he couldn't run because there wasn't any protection between the wheels and the cockpit. The Bandits fabbed up some tin and attached it to the chassis so he could compete.

It was a great story, I could just see those boys slaving away in a rush to get Cal on the track. Well today Pete sent me another picture, one of Cal's Roadster stripped and in dragster style, late 50's. Pete thinks that is Cal with the goggles around his neck on the left. Also notice all those Sabers in thier slick white shirts!

I gotta tell you this is more fun than I had anticipated!! Enjoy!

[​IMG]<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p</O:p

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  15. Great history! You guys have fun if it does indeed fall on the 14th. Maybe I will plan another trip to the salt for World Finals to make up for it?

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

The beginning of a big show...Mike and I are doing a bunch of swag and very cool Merch for this show..... if your at the Round up...swing by his booth and get loaded up.....
    More new work is being done and is coming very soon.
    This is a ultra cool event.

[​IMG]

17. Great art Jeff!!!

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thank you Kerry...You Know I have something for you.....When I return from the LSRU...I will send it forward....

19. Attention Local Coloradans.....

If you would like to get involved in the event, please let me know! I need all the help I can get from now through the event! If you know of anyone that would like to be involved, please send them my way!

Things are coming together very nicely right now, and it is FUN!

Here are some of the things that are planned for the event...

• Vendors
      • Artists
      • Photographers
      • Pinstripers
      • Clothing
      • Hot Rod Shops
    • Food
    • Open Invite for Pin-Up Models
    • Pin-Up Model Contest - Want to be a judge? Want to run the Contest?
    • Live Music - Can you play good old Rock and Roll?
    • Charity Auctions (Donations?) - Want to run the auction?
    • On-Site Photography with On-Site Printing
    • Pancake Breakfast
    • Hand Painted Props and Signage for the event - Are you an Artist? A sign painter?
    • Time Trial Coordinator
      • Course Marshals - Can you run the course?
      • Corner Workers - Do you want to be a corner worker?
      • Timers - Can you run a Stop Watch?
      • Score Keepers - Can you record the time of each run?
      • Staging and Pre-Staging Co[SIZE=4]rdinators[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=4]Specialty Car Parking - Does you[SIZE=4]r club or organization want to run th[SIZE=4]is?[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

If you or anyone you know can do any of these things or would like to do any of these things, please contact me [email protected] or PM me here. This is a great opportunity to get Local Colorado People involved!

If you are not a local and want to get involved, I want you involved!

Thanks-

20. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

This is gonna be rad. Can't f'n wait.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1364354633.512148.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. flatcrazy

flatcrazy

Sounds like a blast! Would not miss this!! My dad's business/racing partner ran this event in his 40 Chevy pickup running an Olds engine.

22. Elrod

Elrod

Have you nailed down a date yet? Trying to figure out if I can work in another national show. :D

23. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I am going to have to make this trip. This event is tooo cool. Thanks for all your hard work, Mike

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

24. Now here's an idea, why not also do a soap box derby down the hill as well.
    That could get a ton of people building cool soap box racers, and fill out the day if needed etc!

Check out the photos here from the UK hayride
    http://flickeflu.com/set/72157623102169874

Would be cool to also do that on part of the CO course!

Just an idea guys!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. R A double D! ....... RADD!

Who, Who, Who... got any pictures, stories?

soon, soon September 7th or 14th... I meet with the Chamber of Commerce next Wednesday, before the LSRU.

Are you gonna run your coupe?

Looks like fun, building the car would be awesome!

I'm not sure this is the right hill for one of those.

26. Elrod

Elrod

I watched your video and there would be a pile of soiled undies and soapbox derby parts at the bottom that would take days to clean up. [​IMG]

It's a good long pull up that hill

27. My Friend Jim Nielson at the 1953 Georgetown Hot Rod Hill Climb!

[​IMG]