Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 60th Anniversary Hot Rod Hill Climb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicks Hot Rod Garage, Mar 14, 2013.

1. The Historic 60th Anniversary of the 1953 Hot Rod Hill Climb.

September 14th, 2013!

[​IMG]

Coming September 14th to Georgetown Colorado, the Historic 60th Anniversary of the Hot Rod Hill Climb. A Period 1950's event, only 50 1954 and earlier Jalopies, Hop-Ups, GowJobs, Hot Rods!

Sixty years ago a sleepy Colorado silver mining town was ground zero for a Hop-Up challenge. Local timing associations and hot rod clubs tuned their Mills and assembled on an old wagon route to prove their talent on the twisty dirt road.

This September the mountain comes alive once again, as we fill Georgetown with the sound of uncapped vintage motors echoing through the canyon!

Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/HotRodHillClimb

Where is Georgetown, Colorado?
    From Denv[SIZE=4]er take 6th ave[SIZE=4] west to I-[SIZE=4]70 [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]west[SIZE=4], head up the h[SIZE=4]ills to Georgetown! Easy.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][IMG]http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp191/Barn_Find_T/HRHC/DenverToGeorgetown.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE]

The climb
    [​IMG]

The scene 60 years ago, this is the vision!

A hot rod rattles the glass of the elder building facades as it thunders past late model sedans awaiting their turn up the 2 1/8-mile mountain course.

HRM March 1954Photo by Ted Spencer

[​IMG]
    Where did the idea come from?

Early 2010 I was on the hunt for an early car my boys and I could drive to school and enjoy at local shows. I scored a 1950 Ford Coupe, sectioned 6", I threw a 350 combo and seatbelts at it, we hit the road. The car came with HRM March 1954. On the cover was a sectioned shoebox, although not the same car.

[​IMG]

We rendezvoused with Mark (General Gow) and his wife Becky in Bonneville 2010. Lucky us, it was documented in the final issue of World of Rods. (our cars at center on the right page)

[​IMG]

That was a great trip, One my boys and I will never forget! The first time they ate cereal out of a mug, they spilled it all over themselves, ha ha!

[​IMG]

In that March 1954 HRM was an article titled ‘Hot Rod Hill Climb’, by Jim McKindley. I was enlightened on local history, the Denver Sports Car Club put on a race in 1952 and 1953 up the hill in Colorado’s now historic Georgetown. They invited the local timing associations and hot rod clubs in 1953 to race a week after the Jag’s and Allard’s. The local hot rods beat the bestsports car times and returned in 1954 to compete again. I had the thought then, “I would love to relive this again”. Is lied dormant there.

Then Mel and his Oilers, they brought us... The Race of Gentlemen

While following the Oiler's Race of Gentlemen, and the aftermath of success and support, I came back to the March 1954 HRM. I went through the article again, this time with intent and conviction. I made up my mind, I was going to do everything I could to raise the race 60 years later.

Well, the town and county agencies are thrilled to be able to host this event!

Stay tuned for more details!

Here is the original article from March 1954 HRM - Enjoy the read!
    (the full text follows below for easier reading)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Article Text

Hot Rod Hill Climb
    By Jim McKindley

Colorado "Strippers" level Leavenworth Mountain course

The Idea of promoting a hot rod hill climb had long been fostered in the heart of the greatest climb area of all, that of the classic Pike’s Peak and the former Grand Mesa Land’s End races in the Grand Junction section. But the hot rodders were preoccupied, buried in the promotion of a new drag strip at Denver or at work on the quarter-mile at Colorado Springs, and the slop shooting kick became a sleeper.

The Denver Sports Car Club had better results. Without the distraction of a drag strip, and having a membership of wider civic scope, they were able to plat an excellent course out of the quaint Georgetown, Colorado, during the summer of ’52 with a follow up race last year.

It was about this time that the “Strippers” of Denver, under the strong leadership of Don Lutes, decided that the hot rodders were capable of throwing and even finer show than the tam-topped torpedoes and they set about proving it. With an inside push from Georgetown’s own Mr. Forrest Ball, a committee of rodders was quickly formed: Frank Liston, Ted Weaver and Milt King. With a friendly nod from the hamlet of Georgetown, a date was set and all the clubs of the Colorado Timing Association were invited.

Everyone was high on Georgetown, a former mining town 46 miles west of Denver – it is 8,000 feet in the air. Sitting at the head of a long narrow canyon, the twisting road of of it continues up at a merciless rate. The town was actually once well known, in railroad circles at least, for an engineering feat known as the “Georgetown Loop” where a narrow gauge track made a complete circle to gain altitude. The road used for the hill climb winds up Leavenworth Mountain to many of the mines in the area, is short and rough. Bordered by ancient gingerbread-front houses, the first two blocks of the course head straight out of the ancient city up to a 90-degree turn. The finish lies 2 1/8 miles from the starting line after a series of six horseshoe turns and a hair raising, rock-strewn rise of 700 feet.

One of the most heartening features of the course and the biggest inducement for speed among the drivers is the common makeup of the hairpin corners, most of them having natural crash walls rather than steep drop-offs in case of an over-slide. It is still mighty tricky going, however, when the driver can look down and see two stretches of road coming up below him. Consequently, all cars were very closely checked for looseness and fractures, and stringent safety rules were enforced.

The meet was limited as much as possible to competition cars, which were divided into Open and Closed Classes, with these two groups further segregated by figuring the car’s displacement into its own weight. This gave three Open Classes and four Closed Classes. Each car was allotted two tries, only their best time being recorded.

Fastest time of the day was established by Jim Babcock of the Denver Dolphins at 2 minutes, 45.50 seconds with a wonderful display of driving, his foot on it all the way from start to finish. Jack Richards, from the Denver Timing Association, had his 140-mph roadster all ready for the forthcoming speed meet only two weeks away but decided to give it a try. Although bothered by an engine that loaded up on the corners, he came in second fastest and first in the “B” Open Class with a quick 2 minutes, 49.31 seconds. The hottest closed coup and fourth fastest at the meet was the Nielson Netherly-Rexrode entry from the Dolphins. With Ken Rexode’s engine, Netherly’s ’32 Ford coupe, and Nielson’s driving skill, the car burned up the hill in 2:55.93.

A total of six hot rods cracked the record of the sports car meet established by a Jaguar with a time of 2:58.00. This high mark was made, incidentally, in competition against several Allards and other Jaguars.

The point we want to make is that hill climb events are comparatively new in the hot rod sphere and can be a huge success in handled properly, besides putting the accent on maneuverability as well as acceleration. The Strippers club is sold solid on the idea, to the extent of making the climb and annual event.

Photos and Captions

Heavy-footed Jim Babcock wheels his T-v8 roadster through the second of a series of switchbacks to take a strong grip on the Fastest Time of the Meet trophy when he stopped the clocks at 2 minutes, 45.50 seconds. Next year, knobby tires.

[​IMG]

The '34 coupe of Major Martin typified the street machines that were entered. His club, the Camwinders of Colorado Springs, was just one of the Colorado Timing Association groups invited. Only one car, an A-V8 roadster ran a supercharger.

[​IMG]

Second fastest time in the making as Jack Richards plows his A-V8 roadster into the first turn. Although his car was geared and tuned for a forthcoming tip speed meet, Jack decided to try the hill, climbed it in 2 minutes, 49.31 seconds.

[​IMG]

Fastest closed car, the Nielson-Netherly-Rexrodes coupe, helps combat unfounded pre-race newspaper condemnation by safely negotiationg the whole distance. Roughness of the course prompted an ill forecast by Denver press.

[​IMG]
    Results

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. Participant Vehicle
    Cars will be classed as we get the entries and will follow these basic guidelines:

Body Style

1. Roadsters
    2. Coupes (model T, A, 32-34)
    3. Coupes (35-48)
    4. Big Cars (49-54)
    5. Sports Car (Allard, Jag, MG) (anyone have a Allard?)

Engine
    1. Banger
    2. V8
    3. OHV

Safety Rules
    Cars will be required to do a tech inspection Friday before the Time Trials, common sense applies here
    1. Seat Belts
    2. Good Tires
    3. Good Brakes
    4. Good Brakes
    5. Good Steering
    6. No Major Oil or Fuel Leaks
    7. Fire Extinguisher
    I'm working on this, more will come, and I'd like to keep this simple and safe. I want to have a good time and keep it safe.

Registration
    If you want to participate in the time trials on the hill, you must pre-register

Participation spots are limited.

Participant Entries Must Apply with the following:
    1. Picture of the car Pre-1955 (period drivetrain)
    2. Description of car
    3. Description of driver

Keep it brief and to the point, this will be in the event program.
    email [email protected]

Vendors
    Please PM me or email at [email protected]

Sponsors
    Packages available please PM me or email at [email protected]

Positions and Volunteers
    If you are interested in, or can help in one of these positions please PM me or email at [email protected]
    1. Vehicle Tech Marshall
    2. Tech Inspector
    3. Course Marshall
    4. Corner Worker(s)
    5. Recovery Truck (something period)
    6. Site Coordinator
    7. Food Beverage Coordinator
    8. Promotions in your area
    9. Parking Coordinator
    10. Vendor Coordinator
    11. Sponsor Relations

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  3. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Very cool Barn Find, I commend you on your efforts and will be there!

I have heard of the Georgetown hill climbs and have seen pictures! ( a friend of mine is the care taker of a lot of Jim McKindley's photo's, programs, race memorabilia etc..........)
    Jim was also the head of The Denver Drag Board, if I'm not mistaken', and lived one block away from where I presently live. So did Scroggs and Kennedy!

4. What an awesome event!
    What can I do to help get the word out on this one?

Questions:
    Any info on entry qualifications (safety equipment, vehical type/year/mods)?
    Will there be racing classes?
    Do you need help rounding up any safety workers, communications, tech inspection, etc.? I could put the word out to the local road racing and hill climb clubs for experienced assistance if needed.

Totally Stoked!

Mike Rogers
    Driven Imagery

5. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Mike, this is gonna be killer!

6. Wow, count me in with my 28A. Let me know how I can also help! - Awesome. Been thinking we need some more driving events vs park and snore.
    Cant wait!

7. Hey! Is that you on Instagram???

8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

9. Pauljrestomod97

Pauljrestomod97

I'll be there in my 1951 caddy, I'll do the run, depending on the rules... Let us know about what is required as soon as you know!

10. Pretty sneaky sis.

11. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

oh yeah... I'm in.

12. Thank you! You are on my list of people to contact. Butch is on my list too. I spent the morning chatting with Cal Kennedy and Bud Irons, those two are awesome! Nothing better then the old timers, that's why I'm doing this.

Mike... ALL of the above! I reached out to Colorado Hill Climb Assoc last night. I am talking with a few different organizations to help with the course and timing. I welcome any help, PM me with your contact details. Thank you!

Ditto!

Awesome, I'm working on the details, traditional cars flatheads, bangers, hell even Model T Fords, Chevy 6's!

Caught.... HotRodHillClimb on instagram!

Sounds AWESOME! Bud Irons drove a 49 Buick up the hill, he was telling the story today! When I asked if, "You raced a Buick up the hill?"

He replied... "I don't think I'd call it raced" HA HA

Super! love to have you!

13. NoSurf

NoSurf

I will be there with bells on.

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

What an awesome idea!

15. fatkoop

fatkoop

Hey Mike! I'm one of those old timers you talked about! Of course we'll be there! Might even take the hood off my '40 just to make you more comfortable.;) This is a great idea!! Let us know if we can do anything to help promote or ????????????

16. Oh boy!!! I'll do everything I can to be there.

17. Updated Registration details in Post 2

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

OUTSTANDING idea! Gary

19. Wow! I have wanted to revive a hill climb up here also! Plus I have that article and always thought the Georgetown Hillclimb looked cool! The manager here comes south for Elk season in the middle of the month. If this falls in the right time I think I have another Vagabond event to attend!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  20. WOW!! This looks so cool. We'll see ya there.

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Sounds like a good time...I've had conversations with Don Joy, one of the original participants of that hill climb back in the '50's and he says it was a real kick.

I don't have anything that meets the requirements, but it'd be fun to watch from either the start or up on the course...

Good luck with it...

R-

22. seatex

seatex

That looks awesome! Now, if we can just find a hill down Tejas way.................

23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Sounds cool as hell! Might even have to use some vacation to be there on Friday too.
    I'll shoot you a PM about being a vendor.

24. Trophy Girls with Big Cups

[​IMG]

Applications now being accepted

25. Greezy

Greezy

Looks like a great event Mike. I'll see what the vacation schedule looks like, and hopefully will be able to come out and lend a hand.

26. Deluxe Speed Shop - First to register their Roadsters!

The 570c roadster belonged to Dale Young, he was in tight with Jack Richards, the car was at the 1952 Speed Trials at Bonneville!

What an Honor to have this car and the McCanns as part of the show!!

Thanks guys!

[​IMG]

Scott McCann Registered the 570c Roadster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  27. Mike Rogers at http://www.driven-imagery.com/Driven Imagery sent this photo he took of Scott's 570c roadster.

Thanks Mike!

[​IMG]

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. Registration sent :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

This thing sounds so good that I've been looking at all the local ads looking for a running Model A frame to make into a doodlebug.

.. Hey, guy can dream, can't he?

30. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I may have to fudge the numbers on my 58 vespa... and go for the slowest speed up the hill... while running balls out.

And a bump