Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The 60 day, channeled 31 roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Binderman01, May 23, 2024.

  1. Binderman01
    Joined: Dec 31, 2018
    Posts: 102

    Binderman01

  2. The37Kid
    Joined: Apr 30, 2004
    Posts: 31,288

    The37Kid
    Member

    Sixty Days? I've had my 1930 Roadster Body since the summer of 1962, not into deadlines. Bob
     
  3. I see the 40 housing still has the spring hangers on it. Why not mount the A spring on them and build a spring perch off the stock placed rear spring hanger and not Z the frame? You can't do Apples to Apples as in my photo here and keep stock tire location but a perch hanging to the rear would fix that. I've done that process more than one time.
    Test fit #1 003.jpg
     
    Thor1, Spooky, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  4. Binderman01
    Joined: Dec 31, 2018
    Posts: 102

    Binderman01


    I debated that exact thing. Also debating picking up a T spring and see what it gains me
     
    Outback likes this.
  5. hotdamn
    Joined: Aug 25, 2006
    Posts: 2,434

    hotdamn
    Member

    now this is the kind of thread I have missed seein!!!! :cool::cool::cool:
     
    Outback and wheeldog57 like this.
  6. Binderman01
    Joined: Dec 31, 2018
    Posts: 102

    Binderman01

    I've never been more surprised than today when I jumped on jalopy and saw my car on the front page, you guys are great!

    Went back Sunday and started tackling the F1 box. For anyone doing the upgrade, it doesn't look like you can grind it all round, and still have it hold a seal, but I promise it works, I was skeptical until the end.

    Did that, notched my firewall for the column and set the column in for a rough up. Then called it quits, I need to go stop in and get measurements for a rental I'm renovating, and needed a few hours off after grinding the ears off that box. I did manage to make a template of my 32 dash so I can cut one out.

    Tonight I stared at my rear frame section and debated what I was doing do, read a few posts on the hamb, and decided I'd Z it 6" which is the original number I've had all along, it only makes sense that if the body is channeled 6-6.5" that the Z needs to be the same as well. If it's to low I'll stack some spacers on the spring. So I cut the rear section off, along with the crossmember ears, set up some 6" c channel on the outside of the frame to help align everything and measure my height and tacked it all in. I'll get some box tubing tonight from the house and finish it tomorrow night. Started cleaning up the edges of my firewall as I'm going to lay a piece of 18G along the cowl where the hood would ride and weld it into the firewall to give it a little smoother look.

    I think all I'm lacking is some new brake shoes and a deck lid as far as major things. I picked up a old bomber oxygen tank for fuel, if I get time I have some buick drums for the front and aluminum heads and intake, but that'll probably be pushing it as I have to squeeze a trip out to Arizona one weekend for some work. PXL_20240602_165329234.jpg PXL_20240602_165319608.jpg PXL_20240602_165338649.MP.jpg PXL_20240603_225141210.jpg Screenshot_20240603-130203.png
     
    BigJoeArt, -Brent-, hook00pad and 6 others like this.
  7. wheeldog57
    Joined: Dec 6, 2013
    Posts: 3,329

    wheeldog57
    Member

    Massive amount of work done in a small amount of time. All looks good from here, keep at it. You got this!
     
    Outback likes this.
  8. Tim
    Joined: Mar 2, 2001
    Posts: 17,627

    Tim
    Member
    from KCMO

    Right on man :)
     
    Outback likes this.
  9. BigJoeArt
    Joined: Dec 12, 2011
    Posts: 571

    BigJoeArt
    Member

    GO MAN GO!

    cant wait to see the stance with the fresh Z!
     
    Outback likes this.
  10. hotdamn
    Joined: Aug 25, 2006
    Posts: 2,434

    hotdamn
    Member

    any updates???
     
  11. Nailhead A-V8
    Joined: Jun 11, 2012
    Posts: 1,357

    Nailhead A-V8
    Member

  12. Binderman01
    Joined: Dec 31, 2018
    Posts: 102

    Binderman01

    I'm back... Had to take a few day hiatus last week as my nights were spent painting a rental.

    I should probably mention, I'd never used a bead roller, hammer and dolly, or Tig welded before any of this, or ever been around a model A... But I'm really digging this thing.

    Got the Z done on the frame, it sits pretty well perfect. Made the dash using some painter tape template to get the curve right on the dash bar, laid it out and used the plasma to rough it in. Took it to the roller and used a tipping wheel to get it going as far as I could, hammer and dollied the rest the way against a rounded corner on a stainless table, then a dolly to flatten it out. Took it to the shrinker and pulled that edge back to the right angle. Then laid out a line on the bottom and used a 1/2" bead die (wish I had a 3/4 or 7/8). Mocked it up with the floor pan. Obviously mounted the back tires and wheels to get a ride height check, but this is sitting on its own weight PXL_20240608_164833173.jpg PXL_20240608_190522098.jpg PXL_20240610_211906884.jpg PXL_20240610_221503558.jpg PXL_20240610_230152194.MP.jpg PXL_20240610_230342428.jpg PXL_20240610_230753381.jpg
     
    lucky, Nailhead A-V8, rod1 and 4 others like this.
  13. patsurf
    Joined: Jan 18, 2018
    Posts: 1,145

    patsurf

    you could start a u tube channel and make enough to HIRE a painter!--nice!
     
    Outback likes this.
  14. Future Primitive
    Joined: May 31, 2024
    Posts: 2

    Future Primitive

    That floor looks so good!
     
    Pist-n-Broke likes this.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!

Archive

Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.