Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The 49' Ford Roadster Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rottenleonard, Jan 8, 2017.

1. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I'm in need of a decent front bumper and a radio or just a radio delete plate

2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Also i have the roof window regulators and rear glass if anyone can use it pm me 20161107_102902.jpg

3. Toqwik

Toqwik

4. butch27

butch27

Great work. I love it.

5. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Looks good the contours of those work
    Good to fill a model a coupe roof in.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Looks good. Did you add any extra support in the body to keep if from splaying now that the roof is removed?

7. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

While it was cross braced, i filled the window channels, then i spot welded the pannels in that the window regulators mounted to. This formed a rather large sheetmetal box that made it pretty rigid. I'm sure it isn't side impact rated but I'll bet it isn't a whole lot different than it was before.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Bugguts

Bugguts

I like it!
    I was thinking not when I saw the tape cut lines, but, dang! You pulled it off. Going to be fun when it warms up.
    Only 151 days till summer!

9. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Haha yeah you should have seen my hired hands face when this started happening. I didn't tell him my plans just come out of the office and started laying tape, bracing and went after it with the saws all and cutoff wheels. He was pretty wide eyed when i called him over to help lift the top off. Priceless!

falcongeorge and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Awesome story. Thanks so much for sharing. Love the result.

11. Nice vision and execution!

12. Latigo

Latigo

Great project. That will be a fun one.

13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

You knocked a good chunk of ugly off it. I don't think it's possible to get it all.

OahuEli likes this.
  14. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

On the front of the cowl there are some legs that reach forward about a foot and attach to the frame, one of these had cracked and broke off this causes a severe 20170117_141551.jpg sag in the door. Also someone had broke off the mounting bolt in the frame. After digging out the bolt the leg was cut off square.

You can see the mock up steps in getting the right shape for the foot.
    20170117_141651.jpg
    20170117_150159.jpg

Once i had the shape right i cut,folded and welded the replacement piece. The outer shell holds a piece of 10 gauge in the bottom as a stiffener.
    20170117_155252.jpg

This was welded on using a square of 3/4" plywood as a spacer to keep everything square.
    20170118_110454.jpg

And a reinforcement piece was welded to the outside to make sure it never happens again. 20170118_110515.jpg

15. CBurne7

CBurne7

All the So Cal guys are probably like, "uhh... so what. I drive a roadster around all year."

CoolYourJets likes this.
  16. greaser

greaser

Great vision and follow through.
    Forget the bumper and fab up a rolled pan.

17. Anything exciting on the mechanical side? Friend in high school (59 or 60) had one with a Yblock. Honked.

geoscot49 likes this.
  18. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

It's all stock on the running gear, good running flatty with a 2 pot, 3 on the tree.

19. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

The trunk striker was missing, i couldn't even find a picture of one on the interweb so i just kind of winged it. Works like a charm! 20170127_130821.jpg

The trunk lid was sticking out from the body about 3/8" at tge bottom but at the top the gap couldn't have been better so it took a little influencing.
    20170127_125413.jpg

Got it fitting pretty nice.
    20170127_130847.jpg

Working on the punch list and waiting for a warm day.
    IMG_20170125_123313.jpg

Tim, mgtstumpy, oneratfink57 and 2 others like this.
  20. Nice one Robert,
    Hope you and yours are all good?
    Look forward to seeing the completed car.

21. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Hey Allen, things are good on my end, going too many directions so everything is normal....i probably won't go a lot further on this car it was really an unintentional project and I should be doing other things. I'll probably get the very last little bits of rust out of the doors and get everything functional and someone can have a fun driving project car. The flatty needs hopped up and a T5 would be sweet but i have 3 other cars in the works right now.

22. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Any X-spurts on here? This is the bumper it came with, it looks like stock mounting but the contour is all wrong. Mayby a later model bumper?

Attached Files:

23. funeral

funeral
    from Phoenix

Great build. I want to do that to my 50 merc four door

24. 208custom

208custom

Kind of looks like a rear bumper to me, but I would be a little surprised to find that it mounts right up to the front brackets?

Cincinnati Slim likes this.
  25. That looks like a fun car now that you made the changes. Nice vision. My only suggestion is a little more altitude adjustment on the suspension.

26. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I have a stock radio for one of those.If you will pay the shipping its yours if you want it.

27. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Super generous offer man! Thanks. I did however make up a delete plate of sorts.
    Bent up some aluminum.
    20170130_110325.jpg

I had bought some parts from HAMB member Chubbie, and he threw in lots of extras including two extra dash knobs. I was able to thread the backs of them to make retainers for the delete plates.
    20170130_110330.jpg

And used those with 3/8 nuts to hold in the delete plate that was painted with hammertone.
    20170130_135506.jpg

mgtstumpy, ravedodger and koolkemp like this.
  28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Terrific vision and great work on the Shoebox! Looks like most of it was done with very little in parts, which demonstrates just how much can be accomplished on a project with just your labor investment.

The car now sits poised as a great starting point for the next owner to take it to the next level.

If that owner was me, I would;
    • Chop the windshield and fit a lift off Carson style top.
    • Open up the door channels so they had functioning roll up glass.
    • Slide in quarter windows.
    • French the headlights
    • WWW's
    Later mods could include rounded hood corners and a full custom grille treatment, etc.

The stock roof skin could be used to fab a lift off hardtop, so maybe hold off on selling it until the car is sold so the buyer has first shot at it. It would be cool to do a lift off top that was not padded, but rather painted to match the body. The ultimate lift off top would be a roof from a Vicky. You could roll in a chopped Vicky or open car.

29. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Thanks, it's cool to hear when something is gone far enought to make people start seeing ideas for how they would finish it. On the top and side windows I'm not sure i would put that effort in it as everyone I know with a rag top acts like you just spit on their shoes if you suggest putting the top up like it would be sacrilege. Instead i just went for a waterproof interior, where you don't have to stress if you get a little liquid sunshine on a trip.

I do like your ideas of www and the french headlights. I think if I were to finish the car entirely i would add a T5, and a couple more carbs, maybe update the front suspension and brakes. I decided the front bumper looks better in the scrap pile and have been fighting the urge to pick up some stainless and start forming one like what I see in my head. This would be such a fun touring car...... too many projects better stay focused......