Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 49 Chevy in the barn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Farm Coupe, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Farm Coupe

Farm Coupe

Since about 1974 this 49 Chevy Coupe has been sitting in Grandpa's machine shed. My aunt drove this car to college in the early 70's and it has been parked ever since. Grandpa bought it for her from the original owner. The car was originally black, but being on the farm with gravel roads, a black car would always show the dust. So it was painted beige with a white top. With the original inline 6 (216?) locked up we pulled it out and have started to get it road worthy. It now has a 235 (spring 2011 project) in it with the original 3 spd. The car had been sitting for nearly 40 years, while it had been moved from spot to spot in the machine shed, it had never been out for more than an afternoon to move farm equipment around and then drug back in. Here are pictures of where it's been sitting and right after we drug it out.

The old car is pretty straight. I'm usually a 67-72 Chevy truck man but have been wanting to work on something different for a while. What's the easiest way to lower this thing for the money!?!? Thinking of getting it a couple inches lower and putting some new rubber on and driving it as is.

Better pics to come soon....

downsized_0911000949.jpg

downsized_0911001001a.jpg

2. olskool34

olskool34

Love the pic with the dust. Get some blocks on the rear and buy some dropped spindles for the front. I think fatman makes them? Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

3. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

3" blocks in the rear , and I just heated my springs on my '51 in the front , but , I didnt collapse them , just sagged 'em a little , still rides good and in the weeds (avatar):D

4. VERY cool!... not enough bumper guards, though :)

5. Wash it, get it running and drive it. Coupes are cool. Cool story to go with it too!

6. Just put some blocks in the rear and cut a coil up front. It's easy to get to the springs to cut them, do yourself a favour and don't heat them with a torch.

7. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

try Buffalo Enterprises 360-652-7684 he has drop spindles :)

8. rougebeats

rougebeats

9. Farm Coupe

Farm Coupe

haha yea, it has a piece that goes across the middle two on the front bumper. it will go back on, it was just pulled off somehow over the years.

Thanks for the comments. Here's a couple more pics of the '49 as well as the '51 Fleetline that had been sitting in the in the other corner of the barn, next to the '57 pickup that is still there. The '51 sat for about 35 years too, it's out and running as well. The coupe is the main squeeze right now though. There's big plans for the '57 down the road.

49 barn.jpg

49.jpg

51.jpg

57 barn.jpg

10. belair

belair

Luv them coupes. Should make a great car. Congrats

11. yblock292

yblock292

12. sololobo

sololobo

Holy hambone, car hoarding at it's best. I love'm all. That 57 p.u. is boss hog. I have always loved the bubble top coupes. Way to go man. Get er done. ~sololobo~

13. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Just read the instructions-

Wash, Rinse, Drive, Repete
    Wash, Rinse, Drive, Repete

3" blocks, 1 1/2 coil clip, Lowered spindles.

That old coupe don't need much done at all. I like it a lot.

14. jeffh547

jeffh547
    from Florida

I agree with Mike in Tulsa. "Wash it, get it running and drive it."

There was a 2 or 3 part article in Street Rodder a while ago, about how to upgrade the suspension on 49-54 Chevys. They used TCI (Total cost Involved) and I don't know the cost.

Have a ball with it and keep us advised (with pics). :D

15. chronisterracing

chronisterracing
    from N.Il.

I would thank the heck out of grandpa then do all of the ideas above.

16. carlitos way

carlitos way
    BANNED

nice ride I'm working on one right now but it will be stock(not mine) . i have done alot of this drops and the best way is dearching the springs in the rear and cutting the coils in the front, but don't try heating them this makes them weak .all though putting blocks in the rear is easyer

17. fbama73

fbama73

Blocks in the rear, then cut the front springs. Start with cutting one coil and see if it's low enough. It's always easier to cut more than to put some back if you cut too much.

18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Decades ago, torching springs was a quick, cheap way to do for guys with no money to get it done. Weakens them & plays hell with ride. So, X3 on DON'T TORCH SPRINGS.

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hey..this guy posted pictures his first time around:rolleyes:..

sweet find man.

you can cut the coil springs with a wafer wheel, cut off wheel ,abrasive wheel and a side grinder..it cuts quick and doesnt put much heat into the spring.

20. dudley32

dudley32

Nice Coupe...

21. slammed49

slammed49

Buffalos uprights are better and less expensive than Fatmans too...plus Steve is a great guy that knows these cars!...I have dealtwith him on several occasions...I used his uprights,3" lower Jamco coils,4" lower new rear leafs with a 1" block,sat sweet with NO stickin' bags!....then I sold the car,oh well

22. Great ride man! And a car from the family too. Thanks grand dad!
    Now, how about an LS and T56?

23. mrenfro

mrenfro
    from Kansas

Nice cars. It looks like it is in good shape. How is the interior.

24. Farm Coupe

Farm Coupe

The interior is pretty good. All of the chrome on the dash is nice. The door panels are complete, a little stained and discolored though. The seats have had seat covers on them since around 1970...and the seat covers are still pretty nice. Headliner is in nice, but has a little discoloration as well.

Like I've said, I'm a 67-72 chevy truck guy, I've built and owned several of those, but I am a newbie for sure when it comes to these cars.

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

VonRigg, yeah, surprising, eh? Somehow, we KNOW he'll fit in! LOL:D And yes, the high-speed cut-oof wheels work great. Won't take the TEMPER out of spring steel!:)

26. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Talk about an old fashion smorgasbord !!!
    WOW,
    And hey, that Coupe RULES !
    Cheers.........

27. 76formulafiend

76formulafiend

sweet ride cant wait to see it after a bath

28. Good Timing no doubt...enjoy

29. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

neat story.. should be fun.. from someone who just got a 51, its nice to have a back seat and a trunk.. (I have not had one in a while).