Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The '38 Ford Build Thread... Again...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Oct 24, 2016.

1. An overdrive allows your beloved bride to tell you she needs to stop for a potty break, without having to yell to get your attention... making for a much more pleasant trip.:rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  2. Once you go Tremec, nothing will ever be the same. I had one in a Mustang. They will take more abuse than you can ever throw at it, the gears are crunchy (but in a good way). They're just so vastly superior to a T-5 in every single way.

loudbang likes this.
  3. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

This summer I installed a Tremec in my '65 Corvette with a 396/425. It completely changed the drive-ability of the car for the better. At 70mph it revs at 1,750. Plus as a side-pipe car, it quietens it down substantially. I bought it from SST and I can't say enough good things about their service and product.
    www.shiftsst.com

loudbang and GreenMonster48 like this.
  4. Richard Head

Richard Head

I never realized how noisy the m21 in my GTO was until I replaced it with a TKO 600. The only drawback I see is that it doesn't have the nice tight gate that a Hurst competition plus offers.

Dave

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I bought mine from SST as well. Seem like good folks to deal with. I'll give a comprehensive review of the thing as I bought it as a normal customer.

My reasoning for going with a tremec rather than a t-5 was one of power. This motor is gonna make pretty good torque and I want to drive this thing like I did when I was a kid... and I wanna do so without worry.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Moriarity, 55Deso, Drewfus and 2 others like this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's what I am talking about.......

Do me a favor, take some pics of the tranny install in the frame. I have been wondering how much massaging I was gonna hafta do with my 390 Caddy/ 5 Speed swap. My 36 frame will be the same basic setup.

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

Got an update?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I had '39 transmissions in both my '34 truck and my '36 3W. I replaced the 3-speed in the '36 with a T5 (behind a blown flatty). I will NEVER use an early Ford top loader again.

9. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

@Ryan We are coming up on the One year Anniversary of these statement's..... Any progress or updates?????
    A couple of weeks ago, I went out in to the shop and mentioned to Keith that I would like to place the ’38 in his production schedule. “It’s already in the schedule,” he said. “I am pulling it in the shop next week… Get me some parts.”

So uh… yeah, stay tuned.

509garyd, Roadsir, Malcolm and 2 others like this.
  10. Keep poking the bear. ;)

11. NoSurf

NoSurf

12. Updates?

Sancho and DenverFlash like this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I think everything's changed...

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah something about a Tesla swap and pontoons? Some sort of island hopper?

anthony myrick and guthriesmith like this.