Register now to get rid of these ads!

The '32 Grill and the Mona Lisa--What do they have in common??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodster, Mar 21, 2010.

1. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

didnt I see that on a Donald Duck cartoon

2. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

i don't need any math to tell me that i love both of your cars.

-danny

3. I always thought the "golden ratio" had to do with "if it's more than a handful it's a waste"

4. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Now you're talking about shape when this is all about proportion.
    Actually the the 34 grill looks a lot more like Nancy Pelosi than the mona lisa:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Whereas the '32 is more like these babes, proportionately that is:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  5. Rodster gets it. THe Golden Mean even occurs naturally all around us. Doesn't mean we have to use a strict mathematical formula but that certain asthetics apply.

I knew that graphic design and art history would come in handy! And yes, I have thought about this myself in the past.

6. Rem

Rem

Sorry to be picky, but I think you'll find that's a '33 grille. Which perhaps explains why I've never thought of the Mona Lisa as, um, attractive?

Perhaps this theory also explains the hate on the Graffiti coupe grille? :rolleyes:

7. millrat

millrat
    from Central MA

Very interesting indeed...

8. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

My head hurts now.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Rodster, very interesting. Would that Golden Ratio also apply when you chop a top or section a car? For instance, could it be applied to the front view this car?

Attached Files:

10. A 3x5 notecard is the perfect example. If you discount the ws frame on that Merc you get about that ratio.

11. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

They're both as high as giraffe pussy, and that's way up there.!!!!!!!!

12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Like a lot of artsy aesthetic stuff there are "formulas" of sorts that will work. But get too invested and you start forcing stuff to make it true.

That nautilus shell? It does not fit in the golden section. And that 3W you're trying to cram into the box? Not even close.

But once a myth like this gains momentum it's done. People are just going to believe what they already want to regardless. Flatheads run hot, the Parthenon was built on the golden mean, and the earth is flat.

13. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

What do they have in common?
    They're both over priced and I don't like either one.
    I'm sick of seeing '32 rad shells stuck on the front of everything.

14. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Interesting thread.

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

Heady hot rod talk, I love it. Good proportions on a car have everything to do with ratios. I'm sure that there's probably there's a text book or two out there that discuss the formulas of automotive proportioning... I think finding a couple would be a good project for me when I've got some down-time.

16. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Unfortunately this dude's comb-over ruins any chance for aesthetic appeal.

17. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

how does it not fit? Looks like it fits repeatedly to me.

18. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

I agree 100% with this , we were talking about perfectly proportioned Hot Rods yesterday in Fresno , I mentioned the ratio. Look up www.goldenmeangauge.co.uk it has all the things in nature ie flowers, bird colors , faces architecture that all fall into the same ratio.It really is fascinating stuff , why is it some cars have the "right wheel / tire combo " & others screw it up real bad . Interesting thread .

19. tinlid

tinlid

Don't know the difference as you are trying to explain but 36 24 36 porportions look fantastic and seem to have universal apeal.

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Thank you sir, I was looking for a nice way to say that, I don't have one, I just want to call bullshit. :D There are so many things that are perfectly proportional that do not fit. And yes when you start forcing things you can make them sort of fit. But all in all it's not always true.

21. You almost have hit it here with your observation of faces. Yes, the golden rule almost always fits the dimensions of our first love, our mothers face. So it is no real mystery we are hard wired to love our mothers.

22. I am a believer in the golden ratio.. it doesn't mean all designs need to be based on that proportion, but it is a nice shape that works most of the time, just like how some colors look good together to 90% of the population and 90% of the HAMBnation will agree that some certain car is chopped too much, there are reasons why people like what they like.

23. bonesy

bonesy

I really enjoy this thread - it has a valid point.

24. Draggin wagon

Draggin wagon

My brain hurts.....

25. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

Rodster...no! Their the same age...pop.

26. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

;

Not really, but, of course, it doesn't have to be in this proportion to look good. Lots of things look awsome, including '55 Chev. grills, without conforming to the 1:1.618 ratio.

27. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey, just leave my coupe out of this. :)

So it's not that I think there is no value in the Fibonacci sequence or golden ratio. I just think it's another tool in the toolbox. But then some guys use a hammer for everything?

Now once you start talking about 333 you're on to something...

28. Dirty2

Dirty2

29. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin Lee
    Like a lot of artsy aesthetic stuff there are "formulas" of sorts that will work. But get too invested and you start forcing stuff to make it true.

That nautilus shell? It does not fit in the golden section. And that 3W you're trying to cram into the box? Not even close.

But once a myth like this gains momentum it's done. People are just going to believe what they already want to regardless. Flatheads run hot, the Parthenon was built on the golden mean, and the earth is flat.
    Thank you sir, I was looking for a nice way to say that, I don't have one, I just want to call bullshit. There are so many things that are perfectly proportional that do not fit. And yes when you start forcing things you can make them sort of fit. But all in all it's not always true.
    Sorry to confuse you guys. This isn't a matter of stuffing something in to make it fit. The '32 grill is in perfect golden proportion. Something either fits or it doesn't; the ratio is precise 1:1.618.

You're right about the '32 three-window. It's a tortured example. My including that illustration detracted from the main point about the grill.

As for Nautilus Shells, as found in nature they it always fit precisly. You are confused. it's about the infinate series of squares and rectangles that describe the rate of sprial. Maybe these images will help:

[​IMG][​IMG]

With the golden rectangle, we can remove a square and be left with a new smaller golden rectangle ad infinitum. If we line up the squares correctly and put a quarter circle in each of the squares in the proper orientation, we get a shape known as the Archimedan Spiral, named for the total badass mathematician Archimedes.
    [​IMG]

30. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

So, you're pretty much illustrating my point.

Look at your own photos. They are both logarithmic spirals... and that is all.

Take that group of perfectly proportioned squares and drop it over the top of that cutaway of a nautilus shell and make it line up. You can't because it won't.