Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage ....The 2014 AMBR Winner is....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 26, 2014.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe it looks better in real life that the two photos at the start of this thread. Based on all the photos I didn't see one car that was a stop in your tracks great looking car. Maybe they have better years than others. Bob

2. Muttley

Muttley

Not surprising in the least, the winner is usually one I dislike.

3. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

A family roadster I guess....a least it wasn't another 32 Ford. Yawnnn

4. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I absolutely agree. Seems goofy to me, but I suppose it's their sandbox and they can make their own rules. These are the folks that seem to think it's hip to have a section of their show called "Suede Palace", so maybe some oddities should be expected.

5. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Is the roof stock height too? Moredoor is the new roadster? :D

6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Some would be bitching no matter what car won.

7. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. What ever, it's drop dead gorgeous!

9. Is there a list of the cars in the running?

I think Stan Johnson's "Silver Bullet" that he originally built in the 60's shows real innovation and traditional showcar appeal.

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

10. Janne

Janne

11. Congrats to the winner, it's a beautiful car. Something different anyway.....

12. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

I saw that car in bare steel during a garage tour last winter. Lots of nice details. Glad North Dakota could represent. I'm surprised a phaeton would be allowed also.

13. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

I was definitely underwhelmed the contestants this year. The quality was great, but I didn't care for the overall look of many of them.

14. What ever..........I wouldn't have even given it a second look.

15. Deserving winner, good to see a "different body " style win.
    Personally when i look at this car, maybe because of the colours used, it has a '30's Mercedes Benz look to it, which is not a bad thing. :cool:

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Congrats to Rydell, but cubic dollars always wins...show me one of those "roadsters" in the last few years that didn't represent massive amounts of dollars...can "little" guys even compete anymore...???

R-

17. As noted above, no matter which car wins the bitching will be heard. And having Foose and Trepanier involved may influence the judges. It is an impressive car in the pics, and probably equally so in person. That being said, I find the color mismatch down the sides distracting. The lighting in the hall may not have shown that in the judging eye, but the flash fill of the camera sure does.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I am sure that the quality of the workmanship and materials used are very top notch. but, does nothing to excite me. maybe it was the dare to be different that helped win the judges over.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I guess all the complainers would rather the AMBR go back to the way it used to be where every car has 24" wheels and a late model efi motor and is completely against everything the HAMB stands for.

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Cool car. Looks like it can hold lots of friends. I dig it.

21. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Just returned after the worst flying experience ever - stuck over night in Phoenix on the way to & stuck overnight in Charlotte on the way back, but worth it (U.S. Airways & American Airlines suck). I go through Building #4 on Friday afternoon to see the contenders & then go look at everything else Saturday/Sunday. My favorite part is the cars that are driven in on Saturday. I admire the judges that collectively decide the winner. Since those cars are beyond my price range & ability I just try to enjoy them & appreciate the time and effort that goes into them all - especially those driven in. See U all in June!!

22. Dar73

Dar73

Not so much.... the last couple of years have been fantastic..Howerton/ Lindig, Brizio/ Mumford, and the other cars competing were right there too (and all HAMB Friendly). It looked like things were heading in the right direction, but this years crop was lackluster at best. The SOHC 32' would've looked better as a rolling chassis, what the hell was that about? I don't think Phaetons should be contending either. Let's hope 2014 is a building year and that next year's line up will stand out.

23. Fogger

Fogger

After studying all the contenders, during the three day event, the trophy awarded to the '35 Chevy was the logical choice. The best representation of quality in materials, design and workmanship. The Phaeton won because of those reasons. As others have stated Phaetons have won in the past and I feel that the judging was very fair.

24. mogara

mogara

I'm with you Uncle Bob. It appears from pretty much every photo that the maroon on the doors is a different color than the rest of the car. I know it's easy to cast stones, but I own a paint bisuness, and I wouldn't let something like that leave my shop.

25. Nice car, but far too boring to me to have won. I think an AMBR winner should first have to "wow" you from across the room before it's eligible to be checked for fit and finish

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
  26. FWIW,but in recent years hasn't it been about what professional had his hand in the build.

I'm not knocking the car that won but like others have said there were other cars that had more to offer in the hot rod look. HRP

27. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I didn't say he should win, again, Paul doesn't have a roadster. I do disagree on some of Paul's design thinking. Like, he said the radiator cap needed that ornament to make it easier to remove when it's hot, but how many people take off a radiator cap that is hot and under pressure?

28. Best comment I heard on that car was "It looks like he drove through the JC Whitney Catalog, and everything stuck to it"

29. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's what I was thinking. I'd load that sucker up with people n cruise the crap out of it.

30. For those wondering or bitching about the Phaeton etc - Here is what the entry info for AMBR says (and has for many years)
    To qualify, owners must verify that it is the first time the vehicle has been entered and shown in a judged competition where a judges sheet has not been ran on the vehicle. Open to all United States built roadsters, roadster pickups and touring vehicles 1937 and older, including designer roadsters that resemble a 1937 or older roadster. The AMBR is a special class with awards for Display, Engineering, Undercarriage, Paint, Engine, Interior, and Detail. All entrants will receive a class participation award and therefore are not eligible for other Rod Category class awards. Vehicles are eligible for other Grand National Roadster Show pick awards except for the Al Slonaker award. All AMBR entries must be operable. All vehicles must run, drive forward and reverse, turn left and right, under their own power. Vehicles must be able to stop using their own braking system. All AMBR entries will be displayed in 20x20’s. All AMBR contenders must bring their own display. (Photos required). The AMBR winner is determined by a point system from the judging staff.

And as for those that are talking about the Paint on the winning car - I believe you are WRONG. I was there and the paint was NOT different colors on different panels. BUT that Red did pick up light very easily. The side that was towards the outside glass doors looked much lighter during the day time than the other side that was towards the inside of the building. At night both sides looked the same. Flash photography did all kinds of crazy things to the color. Probably shouldn't comment if you weren't there to see it in person and are just looking at crappy internet photos .....