Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The 1958 NHRA Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, May 15, 2008.

1. Johnny Deluxe

Johnny Deluxe

I own a vhs videotape with the 58' OK. nationals and always wanted a closer look at that merc. it is only in the video for a few seconds. Thanks for the pic's and the program scans. Amazing thread!

i wish i had a time machine...

2. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I was just looking at my program and see that the Number 369 on the 32 Ford coupe you posted was the entry number at OKC in 58. It lists Bruce Olson as the owner and Mike Thompson as the driver and the city as Glendive, MT. They listed the engine simply as 54 Chrysler.

The program did list some ET's and on the page titled "The Challengers" there is a photo of Cyr & Hopper's Chrysler powered dragster that had a record 9.61 ET on gasoline. Although it was one of the cars favored to win, their old car ended up being the winner.

The Drifters cars that we went with were Entry Numbers 231 (35 Ford - 54 Dodge) and 232 (34 Ford - 55 Chrysler) and here are some photos I took of them in the pits.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. @Bullet Nose ... Thanks for posting the pics of the two Drifters entries ... very cool.

UPDATE: The #231 '35 Ford was driven by Hozie Gomez ... and the #232 '34 Ford was driver by @chattyts's father, Bill Vornholt.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hey, shouldn't you be working?

5. Found some magazine coverage of the '58 Nats ...

001.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

Note: All images from November 1958 issue of HOT ROD Magazine

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Stogy, kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  6. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Amazing!!!
    I dont know how the hell I missed this post the first time around, but I'm glad you bumped it up so I could have a look-see.

ND to OK is over 1000 miles, and that's on modern expressways. I cant even begin to imagine what it took [time, effort, and dedication] to make that trip back in '58 while 4 wheel flat towing a race car!

Once again, thanks for posting, absolutely awesome!!!!!!

Stogy likes this.
  7. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Ty for the pics Hemi32. Outstanding!

8. Bodacious

Bodacious

This is one of only a very few non-technical threads that I've subscribed to. Outstanding!

9. M.D.

M.D.

Cool post for sure.

10. autobilly

autobilly

I've said it before, but your car and it's history with your family is kooler than the North Pole in December!
    Thanks for the great post.

11. Discovered an envelope with an NHRA shipping label and an AUG '58 postage cancellation mark:

envelope.jpg

... when I opened it up, I found a bunch of '58 NHRA Nationals "Participant" documents and various memorabilia inside ... here's some of them:

Entry Confirmation Letter.jpg
    Entry Confirmation letter

Aug 18, 1958 letter pg 1.jpg
    August 18th letter (page 1)

Aug 18, 1958 letter pg 2.jpg
    August 18th letter (page 2)

Schedule.jpg
    Schedule

Map.jpg
    Map

PitPass.jpg
    My father's Pit Pass

Moon Decal.jpg
    A Moon Equipment water-slide decal
    (Moon was a major sponsor of the 1958 National Championship Drag Races)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Cool stuff.
    Nice to see how simple items as a confirmation letter can become a thing of interest 50 years later.

13. After reading this post over ever so slowly this morning,thought I'd add a few interesting bits of info.Some of you might have noticed the "Rollin Stone" 32 Roadster
    shown in the Official program on the Street roadster class description.That very roadster was restored back to its original glory bt Jim Smith(Hot Rod Garage,Sand Spgs,Okla)and was sold at Barret-Jackson last year for an amazing $330,00.00.
    Car was campaigned during its racing career by the late Carl Stone.It was also on the cover of CHHR Reunion in Bakersfield Official program a few years ago.I could go on and on about this event and the people involved,but will stop now.Thanks again for this post!!!!I was ther with Bobby Langley and the Scorpion Dragster.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
    Stogy, kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  14. Very kool brother

Stogy likes this.
  15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

This thread gets better and better.

16. Goldy

Goldy

Way Cool ! Thanks for posting !! Some friends of mine ran at the 58' meet with a 32 & a Hemi it was called "Satans Deuce" It was candy blue with yellow flames. Goldy

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  17. ratman

ratman

Thanks for sharing, cool post.

18. autobilly

autobilly

My old envelopes only contain overdue bills.:D
    Seriously though, great stuff!

19. chevy454

chevy454
    from Ozarks

Ran across this thread...I have some stuff from the '59 Nats @ the Dirty-D (Detroit) if anyone is interested in seeing it.

20. chevy454

chevy454
    from Ozarks

Also, anyone have a '58 NHRA "Drag Rules" booklet they'd be willing to sell?

21. chattyts

chattyts

Hello,
    I came across this message board yesterday. My father Bill Vornholt was one of the Redondo Drifters that went to 1958 Nationals and drove car 232. I would love to see any other photo's you have. I went by my moms house today and she gave me a photo of all the Drifters in front of one of their other cars.
    Thanks Tina (Vornholt) Smith Huntington Beach CA
    PS My dad - Bill Vornholt is in the front row with the dark sunglasses

Attached Files:

22. Tina (@chattyts),

Welcome to the H.A.M.B. ... what a great first post! ... that's a very cool photo of the Drifters ... thanks for sharing it with us.

Unfortunately, I do not have any more pics from the '58 Nats ... nor of the Redondo Drifters Car Club.

Perhaps @Bullet Nose has some? ... he attended the '58 Nats with a buddy ... and they tagged along with the Drifters on the trip to/from OKC.

You might have better luck getting more info/pics on the Drifters if you just started your own thread ... I'd suggest giving it a prefix of "History" and entitling it something like "Redondo Drifters CC of the '50s". Just attach that same photograph, provide any & all info you know about your father's involvement with the club, and request more pics / info about the club ... I think you will be surprised with the response ... the wealth of knowledge on this board is unbelievable ... the H.A.M.B. is an amazing place!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  23. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

The neatest thing is that every car is different, and innovative, and creative, in it's own way. Thanks.

24. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

tinker and j.l. payne was with carl stone that weekend.
    i have three 8mm flim col. one from the wilsons brother that ran flat head fords, the next came from bonnie oxley when she was married to eddie hill, her stuff came with pict. flim, pit pass, decals letters.her col. goes from 57tru70s.
    the oyher is paul davis one of the north texas timming pres.
    charles

25. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Wow, Thanks for posting. Have you ever thought of restoring the car back to it's 1958 configuration ? With all of the documentation you have, the car would be priceless.

26. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

No Fair !!!! No Fair !!!!! You got to do stuff cooler than I did !

27. Elrusto

Elrusto

This is the coolest post EVER !!!!!

28. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Awesome, just Awesome.
    Thanks for sharing! i love the old photos and finding out the history of cars.
    -Steve

29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wonderful when history is documented so well, thankyou! That i sure cool reading from the simpler days of racing. Again thanks to all who contributed the pics, stories and all. Lippy:cool:

30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca