Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The 1958 & 1959 Grand National Roadster Shows

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The 1958 & 1959 Grand National Roadster Shows

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

HEMI32, Tim, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Capture.JPG

does anyone know what happened to this Vette? some time in the early 80's a Vette very much like this was at an apartment complex in Fremont. it was orange and had a straight axle. I've looked at lots of show vettes from the old days in these photos... this one almost has to be it.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

first Oakland Roadster Show I went to was around 1970 when I was 10. all I remember was a custom wheelbarrow and my Dad pointing to a 51 Mercury and telling my brother and I he had one at one time.

didn't go again until 1976 when I got a drivers license. went every year after that until they moved.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. 49ratfink, I remember the wheelbarrow. My Dad's 40 Chevy was in the year you went, as well as my custom bicycle. We probably walked right by each other, I was 12 in 1970.

49ratfink likes this.

5. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

Great post of ORS jivebomber

6. Harley1x

Harley1x

awesome post, thanks for sharing.

7. Was that Corvette owned by Bob Mcnulty ?

8. R&C RON

R&C RON

Bob McNultys Shark from Hayward. It became the Sharkamino with the trunk converted to a bed. It was in the basement of the Peterson Museum for a long time. Alive and well ...now owned by Kevin Bennett. Kevin-bennett-shark-corvette.jpg

rod1, loudbang, bchctybob and 4 others like this.
  9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

must not be the same one... I think I would have remembered a bed instead of a trunk. very similar build besides that in the nose and rear fenders. I have seen a few in Oakland coverage over the years. I'd like to find out about the orange one I saw. looked like a ex show car when I saw it.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

post a photo of your bike. bet I'd remember it since I was big into drawing custom bikes at that age and did what I could to the bikes I had. finally built a grown up chopper bike a few years ago... better late than never.:)

11. R&C RON

R&C RON

This car was orange at one time , here it is in the basement of the Peterson Museum, the car was donated by the McNulty Family to the museum. 16-mcnulty-shark-kustom-55-corvette.jpg

loudbang and lurker mick like this.
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

damn. what year was it donated to the museum? I don't remember a pickup bed. this was 35 - 40 years ago or more.. I want to say it had black scallops on it, and in my pickled brain it had a chrome straight axle, at the very least it had fat tires and did not sit not like that. that was 30,000 beers ago.:confused:

loudbang likes this.
  13. Kevin Bennett

Kevin Bennett

Your original photo is from the 1958 Oakland show and yes the car was different. The early build had a shorter nose. It didn't have a truck bed until the early sixties. It has been converted back to having a trunk like the 1959 version.

rod1, 49ratfink and lurker mick like this.