Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Bugman

Bugman

I'm not the only person who drives my '55 all year round, am I? Well, except for January, no January driving on WI collector plates. You'd thing snow would be a problem with only 1 3/4" ground clearance, but she just plows on through :D And because I like posting pics of my car, a few more for your viewing pleasure...

Attached Files:

2. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Turn these the Other way.. they would look good.. sunk in a hair. without the bezels..
    [​IMG]

Nice 55 Bugman.. The Salt on the roads here would kill off a car in a year..

3. Bugman

Bugman

We use about the same salt you use, only for a month or two less. Regular washings can keep the salt at bay, you just have to make a concious effort to stay on top of it. Besides, the salt makes it easy to find cracks in your bodywork :D

Attached Files:

4. 54 savoy

54 savoy

can i show my 54 ?

Attached Files:

5. MoonshineRoyal

MoonshineRoyal

Hello fellow Plymie and Dodge owners,

I have to say this is my kind of thread. Just bought a 55 Dodge Royal sedan today and I can't wait to get started on it. I don't have any pics yet, but I probably will later this week after I get her cleaned up. My plan is to do a rendition of a Moonshine car, by dropping in a big block B engine, Torqueflite tranny, and Suregrip rearend. Plus lowering her a couple inches, putting on wider tires and doing a 12 volt conversion. Also planning on putting in a tuck and roll interior and new paint job since the paint is starting to craze and crack in some areas.
    Any tips or where to find parts would be greatly appreciated, and I plan on keeping everyone informed on how she's coming along.

6. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I got Mark at Texas Thunder on Witt road in Frisco Texas to order me the brakes. He is a vendor for Aerospace. He took the spindles off and sent them in and they came back with discs. I used a Mopar Manual master cylinder that I got from Jegs. Transmission fit just fine. It's a 440, as you can see in one of the engine pictures we had to modify the frame a little for the oil filter. It has 67 B body headers that had to be reworked on the DS. Ford 9" 69 mustang....
    [​IMG]

more pictures:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062763

7. MOPARMETAL

MOPARMETAL

Great pics Trannyman. You have done what I intend to do this spring to my 56 Belvedere I picked up this winter. What did you do for motor/tranny mounts?

8. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Hey,, Moonshineroyal, and 54Savoy.. Its good to see alot more Dodge and Plymouths appearing here.. Parts are sometimes hard.. but there out there.. all depends on what you need..

9. Yeah, why not! Even the '49-'54 cars need love, too!:D

10. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

The Notch in a Front on the A Frame looks to work just fine.. that would drop the engine low enough along with the tranny.. so the hump wouldnt be cut.. ..

I never thought of it that way..

11. MoonshineRoyal

MoonshineRoyal

I had a question about transmissions, since it seems like some people have experienced a tight fit or problems fitting with the big block/727 setup. Would a 904 be able to handle a big block B? I know the 904 is a little smaller than the 727, so that might solve the space issue. Also, would I be able to keep my stock shift lever if I put in the Torqueflite? '55 was the only year the shift lever was on the dash and I really don't want to get rid of that since it's really unique. Any answers would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    And thank you for the welcome plodge55aqua.

12. ratdaddytattoo

ratdaddytattoo

DO I fit in here? Me and Black Betty my 55 Desoto? maybe as a cousin? :eek:

13. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

This makes me want a 56 Plymouth...

14. MoonshineRoyal

MoonshineRoyal

No problem with me ratdaddytattoo. I always liked Desotos. Always wanted a '57 Firesweep, but it's hard to find one for less than crazy money.

15. jrod1955

jrod1955
    from iowa

If you are wanting to lower the front end check out fatman fab for drop front spindles. Better than cutting.

16. Bugman

Bugman

Mine are cut(well, technically, they're Buick Grand National springs that I cut), and it rides ROUGH. Then too, I went down alot lower than most sane and normal people would ;) Cutting springs is cheap. The ride isn't as good as drop spindles, but my wallet is happy.

17. That's gonna get ugly once that salt starts eating!!

[​IMG]

18. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I like Desotos.. there cool..

19. sedan33

sedan33

Me too. :D:D

20. sickboy713

sickboy713
    from oildale

ME TOO!:cool: THANKS

[​IMG]

21. no bux rod

no bux rod

Anyone know if a 55-56 Plymouth hood will fit a 55 Dodge. I know the front edge is different but what about width and taper? Has anyone tried this swap?

N B R

22. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I dont think they will interchange.. the 55, 56 plymouth hoods are short..

23. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

hey everybody. I was driving my car the other day and when I went to open the driver's side door like always something snapped off inside and now it won't open! I looked at it and it seems a tab of some sort broke off of the latch mechanism...Anyone have any ideas on how to open the door so i can get the old mechanism out and replace it? I've tried sticking tools into it and pushing but with no luck....I'm stumped! Any help would be greatly apreciated. thank you!

24. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

Used to be able to get them out of JC whitney catalog in the old days. I have a pair on on my parts car.

25. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Belvedere.. Door Latches are a Common Problem on these cars.. Try to find spares from a 4 dr.. keep them on hand.. it wont be the last time they break..

26. 73RR

73RR

I have a 55 Dodge 4-dr that I am parting, I can take a look at the innards and see if something might work.

Gary

27. We just took in a 56 Coronet moredoor owner says Sell it! Like alot of us he bought it with big intentions & now he is on disability Price reduced $ 1250

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  28. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

hey gary that would be great! it has to be from a 4 door sedan though not a hardtop. the hardtop ones are different and are lower on the door, the sedan latches are right near even with the outside door handle.

29. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

Ok well i just got back from the junkyard that does all old chrysler's and mercury (Big M in williams, california) and apparently the 1955 door latches are different than the 56. I guess it's a 1956 only part :( I was unable to find any even at his yard, they were all gone, i guess it is a common problem....anyone out there parting a 1956 dodge or plymouth please let me know, thank you!

30. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I know where there are 56 Plymouths up here.. let me see what I can find..

Post a picture of what you are needing or what is broken..

did you check out Johns Yard in Williams? he has a 56 Wagon there .. the south yard..