Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ezrods

ezrods

As my memory serves....1956 Plymouth ht coupe and 2dr post are universal. 4 door is different (won't fit). Dodge should be the same interchange.

2. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

3. wow...one has the 4 bl intake which with the early hemi heads is a bolt one...and a D-500 motor - wonder if one of those is a D-500 hardtop....and so close to Detroit - cool thanks for posting...

4. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

The D-500 is sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 73RR

73RR

...why can't those be a wee bit closer...?:mad:

stillrunners likes this.
  6. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

7. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I bought a 1956 Plymouth Plaza back in 1962. It had a wedge head small block V8 we replaced with a 354 hemi. I was asked the cubic inches of the original V8. I think it was something like 270"? What V8's were available then? Thanks

8. Old Ray

Old Ray

From allpar on the net:
    The new 277 cid 187 hp engine was exclusive to Belvedere and Sport Suburbans and had a bore and stroke of 3.75x3.13 inches; the old "Dodge" 270ci 180hp Hy-Fire was carried over for use in Plaza and Savoy models.
    Later in the model year, a potent 303 cid engine would make its appearance in the Fury. This engine, which had grown to 318 cid by 1957, would continue in use through 1967.

stillrunners likes this.
  9. ColDry

ColDry

10. StukaBomber55

StukaBomber55

Gentleman, you are my last hope!

Trying to put an aftermarket 3 bolt 17" steering wheel in my 55 Plaza. I can't find an adapter for the column anywhere. Grant, Jegs, Summit, and speedway tech lines have not been helpful. Does anyone know how it can be done on the factory column?

Thank you!

11. Old Ray

Old Ray

This will not be much help because I have not done this, but I think (I am old) that I read about someone using a old steering wheel hub and machining it to fit the wheel, welding is not allowed in some jurisdictions. Google search might have something?

12. ViperMan

ViperMan

Is this thread still fairly active? I kinda hope so!!!

My name is Jeff, and I'm new here (but in no way new to car forums!)

About 8 months ago I bought a 1956 Dodge Coronet, base-model 2 door sedan with a 270ci Red Ram V8, 2-speed push-button auto. She looked like this:
    [​IMG]

I've since started a new job and moved and things were of course crazy for a bit, but I just had her at Carlisle and she looked like this:
    [​IMG]

This is the goal for her eventually...
    [​IMG]

Obviously I have my work cut out for me, but I'm currently on a diligent hunt for information... I did read (here, and elsewhere) of a place called FatMan Fab that might be able to help me out with a front end. I've already reached out to them and they're only about 90 minutes from my current location. Might even be able to visit... I'm also trying to figure out disc brakes, and how to convert the master cylinder (as I'll need an entire assembly, pedal, everything... After that will be air bags (thus the need to figure out a front end,) and then an engine. I'm thinking either a beefy 340 (bored out, maybe) or something like a 383/400 BB. I'm going to sort out a computerized solution (RaspPi, maybe) to make the push-button selector on the dash work with a 727 auto. After that is sorted out, I'll tear it all down and start on a roof chop - 2" all around. I intend on leaning the rear glass and will look for a shop to build a custom front windshield. Assuming any of that happens with success, I'll get the seats reupholstered, get the gauges restored, and get her painted as shown.

So that's the goal! Feel free to inundate me with links, reputable shops, sources for parts, or anyone who knows anything about these cars, as obviously they weren't really the "go-to" car for street-rodding... :)

Cheers!

Jeff

dodgegunno likes this.
  13. Hardrider77

Hardrider77

I read through this but didn't find my answer.
    I know I'm the years there Dodges off Canada had Plymouth front clips.
    So are 55 & 56 Dodge clip interchangeable?
    55 & 56 Plymouth interchangeable?
    Then are the Dodge & Plymouth interchangeable?

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Old Ray

Old Ray

Well you are off to a good Mopar start, ...... make everything as complicated as possible.:)

I have a Canadian Dodge and this much I do know, subject to correction of course, .......mother Chrysler did some pretty weird and wonderful things.

As a cost saving effort in Canada, rather then make two different frames and sheet metal bodies, they built the plymouth car the same as the USA model (with maybe the "long" six cylinder). On the Canadian Dodge it was a Plymouth body and frame with (I believe) special front fenders to fit the Dodge front grille and sheet metal. The Canadian Dodge was a completely different car from the USA Dodge. My Canadian 1956 Dodge has fins exactly like a Plymouth. Because of the above info, nothing is really interchangeable, but you could build a Canadian Dodge by taking a Plymouth and making Dodge front sheet metal fit, but it would be much easier to just buy a Canadian Dodge, if that is what you wanted.

dodgegunno likes this.
  15. dodgegunno

dodgegunno
    from sweden

Hi i live in Sweden my namn is Karl Gunno.In 2007 i bought a Dodge Kingsway 1956 with a flathead 230 engine and a powerflite push button trans,
    it was manufactured in the United States and exported to Sweden and sold new in Stockholm in 1956. The body is a Plymouth and the front grill is Dodge.
    I belive that the Kingsway cars was for export only?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    scrap metal 48 likes this.
  16. ColDry

ColDry

Nice Dodge Karl. I’ve never seen the rear quarter and door spears like that before. I have a kingsway deluxe that was imported to New Zealand in 56 as well as a 55 Plymouth and De Soto. Will put some photos up as that’s what this thread is all about! We got the same stuff Old Ray is talking about. My Plymouth, Dodge and De Soto front ends (both 56 and 55) interchange on the Plymouth platform bodies I have. I haven’t seen a US dodge in the flesh to compare fender fitment however. D01E57E0-1F5B-48EA-B1A9-4122212FB490.jpeg B526580C-B56D-4588-BA73-E2D1F35F7561.jpeg 8E2DD1E8-C55B-4650-B147-A0FE62B9365D.jpeg

scrap metal 48 and dodgegunno like this.
  17. dodgegunno

dodgegunno
    from sweden

Hi what engine is it in your Kingsway?My car is a Dodge Kingsway six D60.Engine ,trans ,driveshaft ,brakes ,interior have been rebuilt.I am uploading some before and after pictures on the engine,and a picture on the car with custom hubcaps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  18. ColDry

ColDry

Great job on the engine bay tidy up. Mines a stock 230 flathead with 3-speed column change manual. Unfortunately I have too many cars and parts, and now not enough room to work on them. Restoration will continue after I sort out some storage.

19. dodgegunno

dodgegunno
    from sweden

Hope you will find a big garage to use with space for your cars and parts.

Greetings from Karl Gunno

20. John Anton Jr’s 1955 Dodge:

John Anton Jr's Customized 1955 Dodge (1).jpg
    John Anton Jr's Customized 1955 Dodge (2).jpg
    John Anton Jr's Customized 1955 Dodge (3).jpg
    John Anton Jr's Customized 1955 Dodge (4).jpg
    John Anton Jr's Customized 1955 Dodge (5).jpg
    John Anton Jr's Customized 1955 Dodge (6).jpg
    John Anton Jr's Customized 1955 Dodge (7).jpg
    John Anton Jr's Customized 1955 Dodge (8).jpg
    John Anton Jr  with his Customized 1955 Dodge.jpg
    John Anton Jr - Customized 1955 Dodge Show Winner.jpg
    all images from the Anton family archives

John Anton III wrote the following about his father and his '55 Dodge Kustom:
    • My father customized this brand new 1955 Dodge into a full kustom. It was only 2 weeks old when he started tearing it apart in his body shop (i.e., J & J Kustoms in Midlothian, Illinois).
    • He was the first in Chicagoland area to do candy apple paint. It was candy toners shot over a special gold base which he used actual 14 karat gold ground up but more like metallic with a gold powder. He said it was like looking into a gold sparkler.
    • It was never was featured in any magazines. He wanted money and they didn't want to pay, so none of his customs were ever featured in a magazine.
    • He competed and beat the top customizers of that era (including Barris Kustoms). He was never recognized for it. He was up there and one of the best. He had over a 100 trophies but they were destroyed in a fire. He didn't take many pics and some of his cars were never captured on film. He was a certified coach builder, painter and designer. He did all his own work ... even interiors.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  21. Wow that is Awesome! That is one of the best I’ve seen! Hobo Jim

22. Viperman....I'm sure it can be done....there should be a 56 three speed dash cable unit that will work with the later 60's cable shift 727 trans - if you decide on the small block or big block. The cut off year would be 1965 on the b-body - think Imperial ran the push button to 1965 with cable shift and also the A-bodies used the cable shift into 1965 but with a column shift for the cables. Should look at 1964 back donor cars to be on the safe side.

ViperMan likes this.
  23. 73RR

73RR

The '65 cable unit is a one-year only deal; different than earlier stuff.
    If you need a long cable for a '65 then look at the A100.

stillrunners likes this.
  24. Yes 73RR correct...thought it was worth a mention as it was the first year for an open drive verses the ball and chain....IT is a cable shift trannie and if you need even a lounger maybe newer cable - try motor homes as they carried the Dodge truck style dash shiftier waaaaay into the 70's.....most likely what I'll use on my 56 300 clone as I've scored a few. Transmission shops say a good early push button shift cables are getting hard to find.

73RR likes this.
  25. The red Plymouth you posted to open your thread is a good looking car, that side trim design is awesome, really sets it off! Which model was that?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  26. StukaBomber55

StukaBomber55

Anyone have any idea how the front springs on these Plymouths compare to era 55 chevys? Im looking at front sets of coil over shocks. Bel Air kits are $250. Cant find a damn thing for the plymouths.

27. 73RR

73RR

Never heard of anyone using 'those' springs but never say never...
    A competent spring shop will have multiple catalogues to compare specs of the two. IIRC, Moog has decent info online.

28. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

If you are doing a regular 727 trans. You can get like a 64 Dodge torquflite and have it push button operated without co.puters or electronics..I have one in my 56 Plymouth with the stock 2 speed push button housing. I just can not manually go into first gear.. on the Dodge there is a 3 speed button assembly from maybe the pickup truck in that year that will fit into the car housing..I forget exactly what from..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

29. Here's just something I grabbed long long time ago and dang there was only one. Had a little lightening fire at one of my storage places but it survived......it's a pull over seat cover like a t-shirt - they were kinda popular in different styles I think in the 80's.... 20180831_114412.jpg