Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

Curious. What's wrong with your hinges?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2. Don't know much history of the car other than it had been rear ended some time with the trunk punched in. The hinges, especially the left hinge, became a pretzel in the accident. Its been beaten to get it straight before and beaten again now and trunk closes okay but is very metal fatigued and expected to fail. Right one not as bad. Want to replace the pair as I can see finishing body and paint and THEN the hinge will break damaging all.
    Thanks for your interest, Sperduton.

3. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

I'll keep an eye out here in Michigan. I almost nabbed a 56 Plymouth 2 door parts car last week; but it sold an hour before I called (naturally).
    Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

OK. I will.keep my eye open...I just messaged a buddy in Michigan. He doesn't have any...You may want to put a wanted ad on the forward look page and Plymouth bulletin magazine

StillOutThere likes this.
  5. Old Ray

Old Ray

Hi, is that your post with pictures looking for the trunk hinges on the facebook 55-56 Dodge/Plymouth site?
    If so and if you're not looking for concours show car quality it looks like you have good enough ones now to use as a pattern to fabricate a set yourself, or have a metal shop make up some, out of nice thick steel? :)

6. Big Swede

Big Swede

So it starts. Flathead and powerflite comes out to make room for a warmed up poly.

[​IMG]

DepsilonD likes this.
  7. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

8. The '55-56 convertible trunk hinges my car needs could also come from a Diplomat or Kingsway or Mayfair export versions if that jogs anyone about a parts car they have. STILL NEED these.

DepsilonD likes this.
  9. Potsie

Potsie

Just joined. Not easy doing a forum with no computer. Only a phone! Lol. Heres my 55 Belvedere. FB_IMG_1473833586724.jpg

10. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

She is a beauty.

11. Old Ray

Old Ray

YEP !

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

Download the app if you have an iPhone!

13. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

Does anyone know if there is a front shock from another car that would be more available, that would work on a 1956 Plymouth? Other than ordering a set from Andy Bernbaum.

14. You can use shocks from the 70's-82 Corvettes on the front. You just need to widen the slots on the lower mount to fit the factory shock mount bolts. I run KYB KG4550's on both of my '56 Mopars.

StillOutThere and stillrunners like this.
  15. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

16. Big Swede

Big Swede

17. Big Swede

Big Swede

Well, finally got around to doing some fitting and motor mount mock up for the poly that will end up in my '55 Savoy. The Butch's Cool Stuff motor mount kit really simplified things for me, now I just need to position them and weld them in. I'll be using a 904 trans behind it and the kit came with a trans cross member that will work out well. Only issue for now is that I'll have to do some modification in the starter area as the poly block interferes a bit in that area, but nothing a grinder can't fix. Here's a few pics.

IMG_2622.JPG IMG_2623.JPG IMG_2624.JPG IMG_2625.JPG IMG_2626.JPG IMG_2627.JPG

monkeyspunk79 and JonnyZ72 like this.
  18. Old Ray

Old Ray

Thank you for the very nice pics, I haven't got my '56 in the shop yet so it's nice to see where things will go. I'm taking a different route, 5.2 FI magnum (way outside of my comfort circle)!
    Scene of the sacrifice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  19. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

In my opinion. Best to go ahead and put on the pan, the crank and the harmonic balancer and pulley along with the steering linkage...there are lots of spots that could interfere...I've been there and done that.

Big Swede likes this.
  20. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

I'm late to the party, but I see plenty of friends on here. Here's my '55 Savoy in Tampa Turquoise. Its doesn't go fast, but it still goes. 230 / 3 speed car in mostly original condition with a repaint and some seat covers. Slowly improving things and one day I may shave a spare stock head and play around with a split manifold and some minor tweaks. I love inlines too much to swap it out, but it is a bit tired. We'll see. I certainly have enjoyed seeing what you all have done with these beautiful cars and appreciate the ingenuity behind keeping them on the road. Its way harder to source parts (save for 230 parts since the Power Wagon folks have a lot of them) than any other car I've owned.

Great tech info on this thread!!!

I honestly haven't been on the HAMB in long time and its good to get back. Cheers.

unnamed.jpg 33905273932_7190cd909e_z.jpg

kmrumedy, JonnyZ72 and stillrunners like this.
  21. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Same here. I'd recommend the KYB KG4550's as well with a notch as DepsilonD says. A word of advice, don't try to swap in cheaper Gabriels or others since the shock tubes are wider and won't fit inside the hole in the lower control arm. Been there, done that. Lost a week of shipping time. :)

Old vs New

13880186_10100733491698865_1523623536718102885_n.jpg

Here's the notch. Its not much, and there's plenty of meat on the tabs so they won't split or anything.
    13872847_10100733489134005_6593010949873258740_n.jpg

stillrunners, JonnyZ72 and DepsilonD like this.
  22. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Howdy Potsie. Your Belvie looks glamorous as always. Hope you're doing well.

Swede, you are knocking out a lot of work on your '55. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Big Swede and DepsilonD like this.
  23. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

24. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I saw a 4 door Belvedere on Craigslist not far from me,it came with a WCFB by the pictures, and not much rust. Went back to find it the next day and it had been taken off.... But I did write the number down when I saw it, and it's somewhere in here....somewhere. I was astounded how good the 4 doors look.

25. 55 Plaza

55 Plaza

Lots of interesting stuff to read here,and valuable technical tips and info from members..
    Had a 55' Plaza 2dr Suburban for almost 40..! years now,and it's still into thousend pieces..must be some kind of record ? Well,this is Norway,and mine is,to my knowledge,the only 55 Plaza in this country. .that means,no parts availlable here,and since the severe rusted body has been ( and still is ) the main issue,I have had to make lots of parts my self..
    Well,I'm getting old,but refuse giving up..but,just a Month ago,this 56'Savoy popped up for sale locally,and I just couldn't let it pass me by..bone stock,with only 17200 miles.

Attached Files:

hendelec, t-rod, DepsilonD and 2 others like this.
  26. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Beautiful 56 savoy

27. AdamP26

AdamP26

Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone here would know where I could find a manual steering gearbox for a '55 Plymouth Savoy, I am having a very hard time locating one; maybe there is a way for some other parts to interchange? Other than that, I can only try getting it remanufactured or rebuilt. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

28. Adam - where are you at/live ?
    Randy - man....if it was the early poly motor - pre 277/318....that four barrel would fit the little hemi motors 241/270....most likely some one saw that.....it be gone.....

29. AdamP26

AdamP26

Stillrunners,
    Thanks for answering. I am located in Edmonton, Canada, I didn't find anything locally yet; however, I don't have a problem with online ordering from elsewhere if I can find the part I'm looking for.

Thanks

30. man-o-man...I'm down in Texas.....Dallas - actually 75208.....have a stock box....not even sure what the shipment price would be....