Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. grumpyweasel

grumpyweasel
    from Colfax, WA

Does any one know where I can get a long stainless trim piece for a 1956 Plymouth fury front fender? (right front) Thanks for any help you can give.

2. cozmic

cozmic
    from uk

Hi all just found this thread so signed up and thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my 55 sportone 230. Got a bit of tidying up to do but I'm very happy with it, its a genuine three owner from new 58000 mile car all original still on 6 volt positive earth electrics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Cozmic---Nice Plymouth. Welcome to the HAMB from New York. I would be interested in how you acquired the Plymouth if you would like to share taht with us.

4. cozmic

cozmic
    from uk

Hi well I bought the plymouth very recently (about a month ago) from a guy near Brighton here in the uk, he imported the car about 2 years ago after visiting the USA to view a different car which was not as good as he thought, he then saw the Plymouth (owned by the same guy) and struck a deal on that. Fortunately for me the guy I bought it from is a bit of a stickler for original cars and has kept it all original, I do like customs and rods but low mileage, original american cars here in the Uk do tend to hold their value better if they are unmolested and I believe the Belvedere isn't a very common car in the uk and it is such a good looking car (in my opinion) that I'm happy to keep it standard
    Charlie

5. rbmain

rbmain
    from Newark, CA

Window gaskets are available from Steele Rubber

6. Zoomieek

Zoomieek
    from Delaware

Hi All,
    New Here. Getting ready to start a total restoration on a 55 Dodge Coronet 2Dr Hdtp. Currently down to a rolling chassis with just the center section or cabin of the body on it.
    Has anyone ever done one of these ? If so, any wisdom that You may have would be appreciated. I guess at this point the next move should be to replace the body mounts, What vendor has the best ? Anyone know.
    Regards, Zoomie

I took this car apart so many years ago that I bought a 2Dr Custom Royal Lancer (poor shape) to use as a template guide on how to put mine back together.

7. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Thats a nice looking 55 Ply. even for a four door it is nice!! Not to Bash 4 doors either, just a lot of people do!!

8. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Has anyone done a disc brake conversion and used the stock steel wheels over the discs? I am pretty sure they will not clear the calipers but wanted to know before I even think about the disc setup. I probably could look for some steel rims off a Diplomat or 5th Avenue. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Note, I am not building a high horsepower ride but would like brakes that stop the car safely.

9. Tikiplymouth

Tikiplymouth

how does one get the door open on a 56 Plymouth 2 dr wagon when the latch breaks (a spring?) and jams itself shut? The outside handle and lock are removed as well as the door panel. currently pulling the hinge bolts in hopes to get clearances to trip the thing open.:( One of Plymouth's sale pitches for 1956 was stronger door latches that would not spring open in the event of an accident-- I hadn't planned on testing that aspect this way!:eek: any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

10. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Finally found a parts car with almost all the donor pieces I need to get my 55 Plymouth project back on track. Also found a retired Mopar mechanic to help with the build.
    Woo Hoo!!!!
    Can't wait to drive it

11. Tikiplymouth - are you working on the tailgate of a wagon or ?

12. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

I bought my 56 Dodge 2 door hardtop in May 1985 and still have it. Its completely taken apart now and my plans are to get it back together before 2014 so I can take it back to California where I drove it to Paso Robles (West Coast Kustoms car show from Minnesota) in 1994. the picture is from Santa Fe Springs parked at Mooneye's.

Attached Files:

13. 73RR

73RR

Send an email or PM to olddaddy.

www.rustyhope.com

14. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Thanks!!! Contacted him and looks like we will be doing some business.

15. PISTON.N.PIPES

PISTON.N.PIPES

I still have a few parts laying around from the one i built several years ago.
    i have 2 good brake lamp lenses, 4 arm rests and one rear lower q-pannel if anyone need them hit me up.
    [email protected]
    [​IMG]

16. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

getting closer on mine but still lots of work to do:

just put radiator in and stainless hoses today....but gaining ground

Attached Files:

17. Tikiplymouth

Tikiplymouth

driver door is jammed up and after taking the passenger side apart to see what my options might be, I decided the bear claw latches be worth the effort-- the passenger side appears to be pending disaster as well.

18. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Just stopped by to check on my car's progress and my buddy has the 8 3/4 rear end mounted in. Engine is being torn down for a stock rebuild this week and should be in within two weeks. Spent time outside last night working on the valve covers. Haven't sanded parts or prepped for paint in almost 30 years and man it felt great to do it again. Spring fever - catch it!!!

19. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Just a quick update on the progress. Got the engine mounted and my buddy had some old Dodge Dakota Headers that fit around the steering shaft. This week will be adding new fuel lines and brake lines and starting the 6V to 12V conversion. Saw the car on the ground with an engine in its bay for the first time since 1970. Car sits nice and level. Excited is an understatement.

20. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

Lokar shifter installed, not to fancy on the linkage design tho

Attached Files:

21. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

Nice!

22. Hey Guys and Gals, I would like all the info I can get on putting power steering on my pristine 55 Dodge Coronet 2dr HT. Poor little thing has a 57 392 Hemi hooked to a built 350 turbo trans. Heavier than a 500 pound canary in the front end. This 75 year old can't steer it anymore in a parking lot. I'll try to send a picture of it. Note the Idaho license plate. Sorry, unable to upload pic. Probably due to 75 Years old!

23. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

beercan---The Chryslers of that era had a "full-time coaxial" power streering with the pump right on the back of the generator. My 55 New Yorker had this set up with the 331 hemi and it steered just fine. It may be something for you to check out. Also, I am currently running a GM power rack on my 55 Plymouth Suburban. Fatman Fabrications sells a kit to do this swap but I am not sure of clearance with the hemi. Good luck with it.

lc

24. Thanks Ramrod,
    I'll check it out.

25. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

Sorry just saw this. On my 56 I had to use an air chisel from through the ouside handle to break apart the latch. My latch broke and jambed up inside the mechanism and there was no way to hit a magic lever and trigger it open. It wasn't going to open unless I busted the latch apart....It took me awhile since I was doing it on a finished car and trying not to mess up my door.
    I've been on the lookout for good extra spare latches since then.

Nick

26. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

I Am Running The AAJ Kit Front With Stock Wheels....

27. Tikiplymouth

Tikiplymouth

Finally got the door open! Had to cut the hook part on the door post in two using a center punch and an 1/8 inch drill from inside the car. ( I never did find the "magic" trip mechanism either:confused:). Since it isn't a resto car and I had all the stuff on hand originallyfor another project; bearclaws seem to be the choice. Another mechanical adventure is about to unfold!!-- I hafta to keep the outside handles too...;)

28. GaryS

GaryS

Since my door latches and mechanisms are in pretty rough shape, I'm thinking about converting to bearclaw latches, actuated by a solenoid with the stock handles operating the solenoid. Bad idea?

29. Beercan,

I don't know about 55's, but you could get power steering as an option on the 56's dodges and plymouths (and I assume the 55's as well). I picked up a 56 plymouth parts car that has the power steering set-up.