Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Crazy right!!!!???? Makes no sense at all, it's not mine...yet. Still trying to get ahold of the owner.

2. George

George

Check www.forwardlook.net

3. Yea try Forward look they will go nuts Dont sell it out from under yourself;)

4. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

You are right about the brakes being undersized for the car. Springs as well as Steering are a issue as well from the 6 to a 8...

5. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

. keep it to yourself and be the lucky one to own a fine car.. get the serial number and see if it can be decoded.. Im sure it can... I also thought they had a different serial number sequense..

6. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Price Guide shows it worth between $6 to 10,000 just on a # 4 to 5 level. # 6 being a parts car. Nice find.

7. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Try to contact Richard Main of Plymouth Ranch. He is very knowledgeable about values on these cars. More on the Plymouth's but should be able to help out. [email protected]

8. charliehd23

charliehd23

Sorry in case the question has already been discussed earlier but what are the best spark plugs for a 1956 Plymouth Belvedere with a 277 ci. engine ?

9. buckhog

buckhog

Hey fellows, just wondering if anyone knows of a source for a radiator for a 1956 Plymouth Savoy with a v-8. I cant seem to find anything listed anywhere for a 55-56 Ply./Dodge. :confused:
    Thanks for any help!
    Brad
    <!-- / message -->

10. George

George

If you just need a radiator...generic alloy ones for Ford or Mopar can be had from Summit/Jegs & fitted in. Other than that, or finding a later Mopar one & making it fit, you'd probably have to pay a bunch to have someone make one.

11. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

I went through this a couple years ago when I went from a 6 cyl to a 277 v/8 in my car. You won't find any listed. If you are looking for originality, you will have to gets your repaired. If you don't care..In my 56 I'm running a 66 dart radiator, 3 core.
    This radiator actually.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Dart-...:Dodge|Model:Dart&hash=item1c29592665&vxp=mtr

I had to drill holes for the top two mounts, the bottoms mounts set on the original holes.
    I'm running a 66 dart lower radiator hose. Check the exit on your water pump that it's on the driver side. I don't recall the stock location. I used a later small block timing cover and I don't remember if the hose outlet was different. I do know that the radiator fits. The lower hose just touches the lower cross member so I placed a piece of rubber around it to keep from getting a hole worn into it. I believe I just trimmed a stock hose for the top hose.
    Also just got on the road yesterday, took out the 277, the powerflite and stock rear and replaced with a 64 poly 318, torqueflite and 8 3/4 rear. When I had the 277, I was running a stock fan. With the 318 there wasn't enough room and I went electric. Hence the pic of the elec fan.
    Nick

Attached Files:

• rad.jpg
      rad.jpg
      File size:
      353 KB
      Views:
  12. msgt.dad

msgt.dad

13. charliehd23

charliehd23

Nobody here who could tell me what would be the best spark plugs to use on my '56 Belvedere with 277 ci V8 and a 4 BBL Edelbrock carb ? Thanks if you have any good advice.

camer2 likes this.
  14. GaryS

GaryS

Wish I could help, but my experience with plugs in Poly engines goes back to the time when Champions were the best brand, and were made in the US. Now that Chinese parts and horrible gas are the norm, I have no idea what the best plugs are for any old engine.

15. I've always had Autolite plugs in my old Mopars....but I haven't had a Poly

16. charliehd23

charliehd23

Thanks but I was more interested in some exact references, not just spark plug brands. Whenever I can, I prefer to use American plugs anyways, preferably made in USA. When I first bought some Autolites for my hot rod, they were still made in the US. Last time I was in Florida (I'm from France) I bought another spare set of Autolites but they were made in Mexico...

17. GaryS

GaryS

You might try: www.forwardlook.org

Someone on there might know of a source for new OEM parts that are still available.

If I remember correctly...and I probably don't...I used N12Y Champions on my last poly engine, but I think Champion changed their recommendation to N14Y, or RN14Y.

I do recall that when I used Autolites, I had to go up one heat range to keep them from fouling.

18. buckhog

buckhog

Thanks Sperduton. I am also going from a original 6 cyl. to a v-8. (270 red ram poly) The outlet is on the drivers side on the 270 and my original radiator is on the right side. I will keep the 66 Dart radiator in mind. I am still leaning towards a stock style radiator.

19. tubergomez

tubergomez
    from Ohio

I have a 56 2dr hardtop for sale.

The car starts runs and transmission engages The 360 has 70 lbs oil pressure at idle sounds strong a little exhaust work needed
    I would completely re wire it would not trust the existing wire at all. the 8 3/4 has a 294 gear new green bearings on
    both axles with new seals. It has a duel reservoir master cly new wheel cyls all 6 of them front has upper and lower cyls.
    The rear shoes were replaced and drums machined all around.
    The gas tank was replaced by one that was cleaned. The brake lines were replaced as was fuel line. 4 new shocks and
    the leaf springs were rebuilt from a local shop. The 360 has an edelbrock performer with a thermo quad a set of M/T valve covers the pan oil pump timing chain water pump and fuel pump are new it has electronic ign and voltage regulator. I have nos fender skirts and many extra parts.
    Found here on You Tube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii7rMioCmYM&list=UUncpMBYQKDYRKr3jWj...

352 286 4149
    $4800.00

20. George

George

1st off your 1st post is supposed to be an Introduction , plus this belongs in the Classifieds.

21. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

Well here is my update...I"m excited that after a year long project I go to test drive my 56 Belvedere after bleeding the brakes and getting the transmssion adjusted right. I am still have a problem not getting the throttle I need out of the mechanical throttle linkage. Any ideas? So far it runs and sounds great, just need to do some little adjustments here and there, hopefully I can get it to the mopar show this weekend at sacramento raceway.

Attached Files:

22. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

Here's a short video I took of it right before the test drive. still has all the shop dust on it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W8yB0aNbxh0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

23. GaryS

GaryS

Sounds great!

I'm curious which oil pan a big block needs to clear both the tie rods and the crossmember? Looking at an old Mopar Performance book, I don't see one that would fit without modifying something.

24. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

Gary, the 383 in my car is using the stock oil pan that is middle sump. the tie rods clear by about 2 inches. You have about an inch to access the drain plug. Of course this depends alot on the motor mounts you are using (mine were homemade by the previous owner) and the amount of engine set back. But a middle sump oil pan should be just fine for you.

25. Charliehd23 - if it makes that much difference - I'll pull the plugs om my 56 - 277....they've been in there for at least 20yrs....as long as it's been off the road...but it'll crank up and purrrr any time I want to move it around...

26. and as far as radiators goes - I must have at least two extra factory V/8's around that aren't in bad shape.....if you know of a willing radiator guy that will " rod them out "....they would be for sale....

27. Sapien ... love your car ,

28. somekindofsomething

somekindofsomething
    from Reeders,Pa

[​IMG]
    heres my belvedere, 57K og documented miles v8 runs drives.. been daily driving it for the last 2 months.

its also for sale Tannersville,Pa 18372

29. somekindofsomething

somekindofsomething
    from Reeders,Pa