Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The 1940 Ford Cutaway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 21, 2015.

1. the37thstreet

the37thstreet

Here is a 1940 Ford V8 60 hp. Cutaway engine I have had for a few years. The Ford motor co. did for the 1939 worlds fair. Lorin Sorensen authored the Fordiana series of books in the mid 70s one is the Ford Shows. that has pictures of the cutaway engines and chassis. Thanks Ryan for the post.

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      641.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      638 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      520.4 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      755.4 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      705.7 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      651.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ford chassis numbers were engine/trans unit numbers...and engine family here, the 221, began in 1932, putting the first '40 well over 5,000,000 serial number...
    Someone (on the barn?) reported this as having a -1 number stamped, which doesn't relate to normal numbers at all.

3. VA T

VA T

100_1949.JPG 100_1947.JPG I'm late to the party. Here are a couple pics of sectioned 215 aluminum Olds v8 high school auto shop teaching aid. Engine came from a $10 poor running F-85 sedan. Cam lobes were badly worn--one lobe completely gone.

Phillips, Dan Hay and volvobrynk like this.
  4. Cutaway setups of pretty much anything have interested me for a long time - they are so intricate and can show so many details. They have been of particular interest to me in the last decade+ since I picked up a late 1950s John Deere tractor cutaway (720/730 Diesel for those that care). I don't know much about the Ford chassis that the article was written about, but I would assume its history isn't all that different from from the tractor in my possession. As near as we can tell there were about a dozen of them originally built to be sent around the country to showcase the new model and help educate customers as well as sales and service personnel. The actual cutaway and assembly work was done for John Deere by an outside machine shop (name escapes me at the moment) and they were fashioned out of early production scrap parts - ie parts that had minor defects and could not be sold - these would be minor casting issues or machining tolerance issues. To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 of the model that I have left in existence (I would love to know if there are more, just haven't found any evidence or people that know of any more). There is a LOT of chrome on these old display models - I'm sure once I have it restored with a new electric motor to slowly turn everything over it will be a thing of beauty.

My tractor in its sad shape and in need of a restoration:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only other one that I have evidence of still existing:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did the Ford cutaway chassis have a spot for an electric motor to turn over all those nicely chromed parts? You can see the motor on the tractor in the picture of the complete tractor - its hanging down below the tractor right under the plexiglass belt pulley.

5. VA T

VA T

100_1947.JPG 100_1949.JPG 100_1947.JPG 100_1949.JPG 100_1947.JPG

6. VA T

VA T

A few more pieces I saved from going to the scrap yard upon my retirement (don't get me started).

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Very interesting article....that is an amazing restoration...should go to a museum for sure!

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm surprised that no one has brought up the Knight sleeve-valve cutaway...the Knight engine club has it in a tent at Hershey every year and you can crank it over yourself as you marvel at the extraterrestrial technology!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I have a GMC 6 Cutaway that I got from a High School about 10 years ago. I'll take pictures later. Wayno

10. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks, I thought the one in the show was the only one made for the 39 Worlds Fair. They are a significant piece of Ford's history.

11. mike the plumber

mike the plumber

It was at the GNRS

12. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Having seen this cut away in person at the GNRS was great. The detail that Ford took to make every part internally visable was amazing. I liked seeing how thick the cylinder walls are now I know why we can bore the flatheads so much. The restoration was also incredable. i felt it should have received an award its Very well done. :cool:

13. Bill Towers?

14. flyin-t

flyin-t

here's a cutaway from the Ford 1940 Style Show, Hotel Astor, 1939.

[​IMG]

15. that f'n rotisserie is awesome!

16. flyin-t

flyin-t

2 more shots from the same show. Mystery solved.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

18. goldmountain

goldmountain

I saw an early Ford cutaway in a museum but can't remember where. IMG_0693.JPG

kidcampbell71 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Is that a stock colour for the steering wheel?
    It appears to be a kind of a light purple, mauve I suppose.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

As I was re-reading this, a couple of folks wondered if the parts were originally plated. I shot it as it came into Troy’s shop with the chrome. And it was in pretty good shape considering; but detail shots reveal how rough it was around the edges. And how much work went into the restoration and cutaway detail edges. Each system (fuel , exhaust, intake, etc.) was painted different color inside the cutaway edges.

Attached Files:

tb33anda3rd and rod1 like this.