Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 1/2" Wrench

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NoSurf, Nov 1, 2010.

1. NoSurf

NoSurf

[​IMG]

The half-inch wrench.

One of my best friends gave me a present when I graduated from college.

It was a half-inch Snap-On wrench.

A simple gift that meant so much.

He was like that.

Thoughtful.

Strong.

You could always count on him.

He would get it done.

He was your ace in the hole.

Your go-to guy.

He was like a brother to me.

Words never said.

A bond.

Now he is gone.

He wouldn't want me to set aside the wrench.

Make it into something it's not.

He'd want me to use it.

Keep it shiny with use.

I think I'll do that.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Recently passed? My condolences, but it's really nice to have that wrench to use and remind you. Often, I hope.

3. Use it well and often. And remember him when you do.

4. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Sorry to hear about your loss and enjoy the gift.

5. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I'd make a nice plaque / holder / shrine for that wrench on the wall to display it while not in use.

6. drchopper

drchopper

I have a couple tools like that , from my Grandfathers garage and I just polished them up and hung them on the wall . Something that special I would also make a little plaque-shrine type deal . It's nice you had a friend like that , it is kinda hard for people of my generation to be that thoughtful (35-40 the ME I want everything generation )
    I also give away Snap-on tools that I have extras of to my closest friends . (got no more extras except for my son)
    thanks for sharing .

7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yeah, man. use it like ya mean it.

8. Great little story!

9. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

are you writing a sonnet?

10. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Reminders of our departed friends are priceless. I hope you have reason to use that wrench well and often.

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I made pedals out of Great Granddad's wrenches. Still have 'em. The car is gone but they hang on the wall watching me....I miss him.

12. I have Dad's Snap On roll away in my garage now. He used the tools in it for 40 years to build race cars, hot rods, and Model Ts. I smile every time I walk by it. I am very familiar with the feeling your wrench gives you.

13. I've got a couple of mill files and a bench vise that belonged to my wife's grandfather. These tools are probably 90 years old, made in USA, work as well as they did when they were new. I use them all the time.

Some stuff pretty much lasts forever if you take care of it, like iron skillets. When one of my cousins bakes cornbread, she uses an iron skillet that belonged to our great-great-great grandmother. Don't know for sure how old the skillet is but its original owner was born in 1810 and died in 1903. That skillet was probably baking cornbread before the Civil War.

14. wizzard23

wizzard23

Neat thread, Jay. Sorry for your loss. Life is short, memories are forever.

15. badgeree

badgeree

Words well written. I like the idea of a special commemorative plaque to hold them the wrench when not in use. You'll always have memories.

16. The plaque is a great idea, maybe with an old worn open end wrench cut at an angle sticking out of the wood.

I've got a couple tools that were passed down to me, one is my grandfathers old ball peen hammer, it has a "worn in" area in the grip area on the hickory handle. Everytime I start bitching about one of my projects, its a good reminder that that hammer has seen more real "work" than I will ever manage to get done in my life on my hobby cars.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I know the feeling , The special ones handed down to me get used, I feel He would have wanted it that way.
    Good memories

18. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear of your loss, I also think a special place to store/ display it when not in use would be a nice tribute.

19. I'm sorry for your loss. That's a really nice tribute and I understand how you feel about it. I have some Craftsman wrenches that belonged to my Dad. When he bought them he scribed his initials and the date, 6/43. I also have a 1/4" drive Plomb socket set that my Mom used during WWII to build P-38 fighter planes. Precious stuff to me. I still use those tools all the time and I think of my parents whenever I do.

20. Nice tribute! Put the wrench on your key chain and use it when needed.

21. nice tribute! the wrench should be used often.

22. 39 Ford

39 Ford

My frieng Pete gave me a 3/8" craftsman ratchet for Christmas, the kind with a jointed hinge so you can get to odd angles. He hung himself , over 40 years ago, I think of him every time I use the wrench, yes it still works.

23. 35hotrod

35hotrod
    from Duvall, WA

I'm a sentimental old fool and your tribute touched me. The few tools I have from my Grandad reside in my tool box along side the other tools I use regularly. He was a boilermaker and made or modified some of his tools. When I use them I'm reminded of where I got these hands and the inclination to use them.

24. Thanks Jay,

Your story / poem, immediately took me to the red handled channel locks my friend Terry once owned. Everytime I see them or use them I remember his kindness, friendship and support. I remember listening to his stories about drag boats and big-block Chevelles. He came to so many of my motorcycle races to cheer me on. He gave me those channel locks about 15 years ago. At a race, I needed to change a sprocket and I forgot my quick change tool. Thanks for the reminder, to the people that have shaped us, godspeed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NoSurf likes this.
  25. Oh... and do you think of me when you use the welder?

I think of you every time I pull the plugs on the Barn Find T. You know when I use the original Ford spark plug wrench so the plugs don't break.

NoSurf likes this.
  26. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

Sorry for your loss, but you have a great piece to remind you of him. Thanks for sharing. I have a set of socket wrenches from my dad that he said he thought would never get used again. He told me he bought them to keep in his '62 Olds Starfiire and he's glad to see they are going to good use again. I also have a set of old wrenches that were my grandfather's that have had plenty of use with the Cadillac around. I will never part with either sets of these wrenches ;)

27. nummie

nummie

A dear friend of mine always said the best way to keep the hand tools oiled was to use them in grease!

my condolences on your loss. keep that wrench oiled!

28. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

These kinds of things make even the 'hardcore' among use take a bit of a breath.

29. Thinking of and praying for you. You were missed this weekend.