Register now to get rid of these ads!

The “2nd Best” ‘60 Chevy wagon build…

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40StudeDude, Mar 14, 2013.

1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

DO NOT pull the staples...most of them have the bottoms flattened, from hitting the metal underneath...I've been told to simply tap them flat and leave them there. IF you pull the staples you'll end up pulling all the tack strip off...and it's at least 55 years old... putting new tack strip back in is a first class bitch simply becuz you can't glue it...you have to use screws to hold it up and that ain't easy...I know, I just did it...!!!

R-

2. Hey Roger, I had no choice but to replace the tack strip in my '59 a few years ago and got some great instructions from my upholstery guy. He sold me the new composite tack strip that is sort of a rubbery vinyl that he uses, and had me install it with the two component, quick set panel bonding stuff they use on the new plastic cars. A hand full of clothes pins and a self tapping screw at each end and the sections were done in about 5 minutes each. Couldn't be easier and they still hold great after several years on the road.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Oh sure Fan Attic...NOW you tell me that...AFTER I laid on my back putting screws thru the new tack strip...!!! LoL...

I did use the new composite tack strip and tried several different kinds of glues but nothing held when I tugged on it...never thot of panel bond...!!! Maybe your info will help someone else...

Thanx,
    R-

4. Sorry I was late Roger, maybe it will help on your next build, which by my calculations should be starting any minute now! Always a joy to follow you and your brother along on a project!

5. Great update Roger!

6. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks for the tip. on those i did try before some did cause the strip to break and pull off.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  7. Great build and really good work ! Hope my 59 wagon comes out as nice . Hope to run into you and your son someday . Found this build today thru finishing a project after 65 . I'm there and it does get harder but I've got 3 left to do . Blue

8. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

Awesome build

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IMG_44402.JPG Thanx Joyflea and catfishdog...was really surprised when I found this back up on the HAMB thread list...appreciate the comments...

Here's a pic with the new whites on it...just put them on in time to drive it to the NSRA Nats in Pueblo with a for sale sign on it...

daddio211 and enloe like this.
  10. RainDude

RainDude