Register now to get rid of these ads!

That Immensely Popular Website That Begins With an "E"!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stlouisgasser, Jul 16, 2009.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a question.

How can anyone criticize e-Bay or Craig's list on an internet forum?:eek::eek:

2. zzford

zzford

"No matter how rare or obscure that part is, you can sit in your underware with a cup of coffee in your computer room and find ANYTHING within a few minutes on E-Bay or Craigslist"

That is exactly what I like about Ebay. Try hitting a swap meet wearing only your underwear, They will arrest you. :D

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

PayPal has SAVED me money, and I've learned to live with the what 3% fee? Selling to everyone WORLDWIDE is a huge plus IMO.

4. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

if buying stuff on the internet is wrong because it is too easy instead of going out and finding it..then bitch at the HAMB moderators for having a classifieds section

5. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

"Goldchainer's" don't always know that they are goldchainers.

6. 85-percent

85-percent

EBAY is a wonderful use of internet technology to connect nutty eccentric sellers of oddball stuff with buyers that want such stuff.

It allowed such a massive connection with so many people I think it actually had a notcible bump effect on the economy.

I am happy for EBAY and the capability that allows me to find somebody on earth selling the off the wall stuff only me and one other guy like.

For example, Frank Zappa's dad wrote a book about gambling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260444565492

I'd be hitting swaps and tag sales for friggin years to score this!

I JUST WISH THERE WAS SOME ROBUST COMPETITION for EBAY. They are in a position to take monopolistic advantage with their listing fees, as they are almost the only game in town that does what they do!

my two cents

-90% Jimmy

7. Oh hey and all humor aside, I know what you mean. Sometimes the "barracks lawyer" opinions come out in some of us and it goes too far. I'm guilty.

I've been on both sides of the ebay sniping and I've been at swaps looking at something, only to have it snatched from in front of me before I could decide whether to buy. I've bought boxes of cruddy, rat-crap infested boxes of car parts outta barns & basements hoping to find something of value - there's nothing like paying $5 for a box and getting a treasure piece I didn't know I needed. . . And for as much as the internet sometimes takes that thrill away, there can be a "plus" side - that is in finding stuff online we may never get otherwise. So I guess it works both ways. "Underwear shopping" will never replace the fun many of us have with swap, barn, garage or pick'n pay hunting.

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Like I've said before, Ebay is the slutty girl in high school that all the guys make fun of when they're around each other during the day, but then try to sneak over to her house at night without being seen to see if she's open for business. Sure, it's got its disadvantages......so do marriage, single life, renting, owning, old cars, new cars...... Make the most of it, whether buying or selling. Everyone on here knows that I sell on Ebay, and I've sold parts to many of you via that venue. I still love swap meets, and always will; I feel fortunate that I live in a part of the country where many large and/or good meets are just a few hours' drive for me. However, Ebay sure does help fill in the huge void from the last swap meet in early November to the next one in mid to late March, and must be a gift from God if you're in places like Sweeden or Australia trying to build a rod. As for Ebay prices, know what you're looking at. I still pick up good pieces for cheap on there because of misspelled words, incorrect listings, or, for whatever reason, no one wants to bid on it during the week it's on there. I do agree with 85 percent that a little quality competition for Ebay would be good for all of us. Above all, no whining!

9. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

Who made fun of the slutty girls? Certainly not me, I kept company with them. If it wasn't for sluts my life wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

10. ditto here.

11. Swede64

Swede64

Originally Posted by temper_mental [​IMG]
    I buy at swap meets and eBay I am a whore I get it anywhere I can.

Well spoken!

12. Pontiac35

Pontiac35
    from Wisconsin

You can't walk down a path and find something special on a computer 'cause it just does not have the same "I could use that!" thrill of the find. Real conversation with living beings is always a lot of fun, you just might learn something.

13. plan9

plan9

i don't think we have done Pomona together for awhile, but the fathers day swap i realized we usually go home with a hand full of cash or a bunch of neat parts.

ebay has its place, as does the swap meet.

14. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Heck my car and probably 90% of the parts/materials used to do it have come off of Ebay....Its just one more place to look.

I think I will get on there now and look for a new goldchain:)

15. spununit

spununit

With Ebay I can have a swap meet all day every day! I love the real deal but I am so addicted to this hobby I can't wait for the weekends to swap meet!

16. fuzzface

fuzzface

Just found out that I've been using eBay all wrong. I need to put underwear on and grab a coffee instead of a nevermind, but I hate coffee!

17. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I make a living off of primarily selling on Ebay. Yes,I also use Craigslist,several online forums,and sell at swap meets as well. But you know what,even with the fees that Ebay and PayPal charge you,you still get on average atleast 20%+ more on Ebay than anywhere else.

Craigslist is a joke,once in a while you get lucky as a buyer on there,but as a seller it`s a waste of time.

18. 52style

52style

paypal is now owned by ebay its just there way of collecting fees around every corner

also e bay has scooped up craigslist that havent done anything to it yet but who knows what the future holds

19. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Ebay is just another tool to use.

20. BBobb

BBobb

I guess i will throw my two cents in.Although i have not only bought a ton of parts off Ebay,i can also say the education i have learned by constantly looking at the older part is out standing.When i started building me model a i could not have distinguished the difference between a 37 ford front end and a 47 front end.I guess my point is,that when you sit in your undies and stare at parts long enough you start to pick up on what parts will enter change much like sitting here learning and reading the wealth of info i get here on the HAMB...Again my two cents

21. I both buy and sell on Ebay and it allows me to build my cars for next to nothing cost wise. I really enjoy buying vintage tin and parting it out. On the other hand the local swap meet is my VACATION away from home where I can party for 4 days and come home with more money than I left with.Its the best of both worlds and I thank the inventor of Ebay.

22. How many sets of split 'bones can you sell to the locals who are all building Mustangs & Camaros? I don't know but I guarantee I couldn't have sold the 2 dozen sets I've sold in the last 2 years on Ebay.

Ebay sales funded my RPU..... which eventually funded my '38. That '38 & many more Ebay sales have funded my '32. I could have NEVER sold enough at local and/or regional swaps to make what I have possible.

Without the HAMB & Ebay, all I'd have would be my rusty Nova wagon.

JH

23. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I've done hundreds of transactions on Ebay, both selling and buying. It has allowed me to sell to get money to buy parts, and also to find parts that I could spend years looking for otherwise. In all those transactions, only two bad ones, so I can't complain. My user name is ryson6 if you want to check it out.

24. Skrayp

Skrayp

In my opinion, its just free enterprise at its best/worst. We have the big Cars& Parts swap meet here in Springfield three times a year. It usually all chevy parts and flea market crap. Then you have the career swap meet vendors who piss and moan because people are too cheap to help them make their first million. "Swap Meet" is an abuse of the word. Nobody wants to trade anything anymore. It used to be a place where car guys got together to trade stuff they don't need for things they can use. The barter system is dead. Its all about money. If you're a smart shopper, you can find killer deals on Ebay , find things quicker, and have a much bigger area to hunt. For the people that complain of price...its only worth what you are willing to pay. You gotta stick to your guns and walk away if you think it costs too much. I've tried to sell stuff an I never wanted to gouge anybody. I just wish people were more willing to do the same for me. Its just a bunch of junk anyway. I might be biased, but in my area people rarely work on this stuff because its fun. They just want to make a shit ton of money.

25. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Man, that "underwear/coffee" comment has taken up a life of it's own! Anyway, I'll tell you what I do hate at a swap meet: when you ask a price on a part and the seller pulls out a Jeg's/Summit catalog out of his back pocket to figure out a price that he should have already had marked on his item. I try my hardest to be gone outa his sight before he can do his calculations.

26. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Funny you should bring this up.. I posted a wanted for a Exhaust manifold here.. and didnt get 1 reply.. and the money was not an issue.. In stead I find one on The E word site and pay 150.00 plus 38.00 for shipping.. I would of rather of lined the pocket of a Fellow HAMBer ..I was in need..

27. I,ll add that I ship worldwide and my buyers appreciate it! I don,t know why most sellers are hesitant to do so. I just let the buyer know that shipping takes forever but I haven,t lost an item yet! I just sent a 65 Chevy horn ring to Thailand.....

28. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

has also made the prices of the parts ridiculous,,personally I like to hold it in my hand and be able to look it over ,,which online won't allow you to do.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Selling stuff Worldwide just makes me feel good. Whatever the world problems may be two people are working one to one and are happy on the deal. I've had overseas buyers pay a lot faster that guys two states away. :rolleyes:

30. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I don't know,I've sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist.