Register now to get rid of these ads!

That Flat Look

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PimpWithaPumpkin, Jan 30, 2012.

1. PimpWithaPumpkin

PimpWithaPumpkin

The paint job done on my truck by the p.o. was crap when it was first done, runs and overspray all over, and now its starting to fade from the sun and chip. i want to sand it down to get that flat look and possibly show through to the original paint in some places but I don't wanna go too deep. Any one know what size grit I should use? I hear the red scruff pads work damn good too.

2. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

3. I have years on a truck similar to yours that still has original GM paint around the shit I can bombed on over the years and miles. I bought my truck in 1986, 300K miles ago. No repaint.
    Don't try to fake. If you want the patina look, let time and driving fix that. The sun will do the rest. My truck spent very few weeks inside a building after I bought it.
    Kinda funny to hear a page on the intercom, "Pat, the scrap company truck is here to get yours", because of how my truck looked. It was seen in Charlotte and between Columbia and Augusta a few years after that teasing. It was driven to those places from central Arkansas, only 12 hour, hard drive, to either checkpoint.
    The shoes don't make the man.

4. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Ah, a fake patina thread in disguise. No... don't do this. Really. Shoot new paint!

5. badshifter

badshifter

6. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Why not just wet sand out the runs and overspray??

8. jax59

jax59
    from nor cal

i got a headache!!!!!

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Wet sand it with 600 then hit it with a buffer.....done......

10. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

11. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Rookies...............

12. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

13. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

welcome to the HAMB...if people can't help ya they'll just post sarcastic comments instead.

14. PimpWithaPumpkin

PimpWithaPumpkin

Indeed.. I was just wantin' to sand it down til I can scrap up enough dough to get some more color on it. I'm not tryin to do a fake patina look, (I don't agree with it, let it sit an a field for a decade or so) just tryin to get a dull look on the body...

ps thanks for the help haha sarcasm

15. PimpWithaPumpkin

PimpWithaPumpkin

I know, I just figured how to start a thread without it bein a "introduce yourself to the hamb"

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No shit...especially to the new guys...easy targets. Give the guy a break.

Pimp...I could suggest particular grades of sandpaper, but it's probably best to experiment. Go buy one sheet of a few different grades...800, 1000, 1200, even some 1500, and try 'em. Start with rough, and then move to finer as the need be. Don't know if you'll be working the paint by hand, or using a compressed-air-powered DA, etc., but the rougher grades can be used dry and by hand or on a DA. (Dual action) If you're doing the work by hand, get yourself a rubber sanding block. The finer grades should be "wet-or-dry" type. Use a bucket of lightly soapy water and a sponge, to keep the surface wet, and the sandpaper clean. (not clogged up) Dip the sponge in the water, and hold it above the area you're sanding. Good luck. Have fun.

17. PimpWithaPumpkin

PimpWithaPumpkin

Thanks, I'll have to try that this weekend. And I'll be doin' it by hand... Hopefully I bribe my lady with some chocolate or somethin so she can pitch in:D. Much appreciated Ricky