Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Thanks to everyone who attended 2011 GNRS Suede Palace & History of Customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Jan 31, 2011.

1. aces52

aces52

Great show had good time as always . BOB ACEScc

2. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

Great job as always Axle. It was cool to work with you and the crew this year. The palace was rockin
    Cant wait till next year

3. Austin Speed Shop

Austin Speed Shop
    from Austin TX

Thanks for including us in the festivities!! we had a BLAST!! see you next year

4. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

[​IMG]

Thanks so much, Axle.
    Best Show. Slim

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Axle, I'd also like to add my thanks for the Customs Now and Then gathering. It was totally awesome and my favorite building there. I'd like to thank Rik and Jeff also for helping makes this event possible.

I've got a question though regarding your above statement, the Grand National Roadster Show is not at the original location, the show is not named the same nor is it owned by the same peeps. How is it the same event as the Oakland Roadster Show from days gone by?? Just curious??

6. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

Thanks for all your hard work in putting together such an amazing collection of customs...!!!...and builders....!!! My two days there will be cherished memories.

7. Alex, my brother, I always enjoy your gigs. You and the John Buck organization went the whole distance in making this show the best one yet, since it left Oakland. I couldn't stay out of Bldg. 9. Amazing.

One critique, though. The music in the Suede Palace was far too loud. Old racers and old musicians get ringing in the ears from that. Had to stay outside. And many of the bands are friends of mine. A word to the wise, this isn't a Spinal Tap show...

8. I've been going every year for a while, and this years show knocked it out of the freaking park! The history of customs building was mind blowing. I was numb for the rest of the day after waling through there.

9. DEVILS REJECT

DEVILS REJECT
    from AZ

Thanks for the great show Axle. in still in overload mode

10. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Awesome frikin show, Axle...a big thanks for all the time you must have put in to hit a home run like that!! :cool:

11. gonzo

gonzo

A big thanks to Axle from the Alter Boys.
    Sorry we missed the HAMB meet and greet but we were out foraging for car parts and barely made it back in time for the trophies! We had a blast in California, no wonder everyone moves there,

12. brad2v

brad2v

Yup, my deepest thanks to you for putting this on. The wife and I had the good fortune of being in building 9 on setup day, I still can't really believe we were in the presence of all that history in one place. Memories of a lifetime.

13. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

It was always officially named the Grand National Roadster Show but the hot rodder in the street has referred to it as the "Oakland Roadster Show" since the very early days.

Ownership has changed (Daryl Starbird owned it at one point for instance) and it has travelled to at least two or three other buildings outside Oakland, but it still the same show with the same 9-foot travelling trophy. The ownership of part of Al Slonaker's estate has just changed hands a few times.

14. Blackcat333

Blackcat333

Great job! I was only able to attend on Sunday, but, despite the rain, I had a blast!

15. M.Edell

M.Edell

Don Tognotti (RIP) ran the Show for many years as well.

16. M.Edell

M.Edell

17. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Hey Axle,
    Good place to say thanks for a great show!
    [​IMG]

We're all aware, or should be of how much work and juggling it must have taken!

This was a great deadline for me to get my pile of parts actually running for the event!
    Every car had its story of thrashing for the show,
    some more than others.

I think it shows how important your job is too us.

THANKS ALOT!!

TP

18. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Axel, thank you! and all involved, I am now loaded with insperation to get me thru the snow blowing up my ass now that I'm back home. Time to get back to work, seems as thought there was a big shortage of kansas representaion at this show. still floors me that the milk truck beat out, predicta, lil coffin,or anything doug thompson has built just to name a few, TIME to put kansas back on the map, kustom city will rise again !

19. axle

axle
    from Drag City

The GNRS has always been called the GNRS. Just because it changed location is still the same show with the same emphasis on Rods & Customs. Like so many other events "Viva" , "Lone Star" , "Detroit" , names get shortened or changed a bit . GNRS was nick named "Oakland" for years when it was technically called Grand National Roadster Show. Great seeing you Denise. You're always fun to be with and have a great spirit! Your friend, Axle

20. Badfella

Badfella

A little late but thanks on behalf of all us Lifters and HUGE thanks from me for stashing my cooler in your digs;) Good seeing you as always!

21. bob-o

bob-o

Axle,

The History of Customs building made this GNRS my favorite showing of cars ever. Thank you to everyone who made that happen!

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks to both of you for clearing that up. I didn't realize the Oakland Roadster Show was it's "nickname".

23. autobilly

autobilly

"Yo momma's car" came up well! Congratulations for pulling it all off.
    [​IMG]

24. rc4u

rc4u
    from Washington

Hey Axle,
    Thank you for doing such a great job and inviting us! We had a great time and it was so cool to see all of the cars and hang out with a lot of great people!

25. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

No thank you Axle!!! What a weekend!! Found old friends, made new friends, I had a ton of emotions go thru my head. I have to say it was the best GNRS yet for me, for those of you who have never been it was well....Amazing to say the least. A buzz thru the crowd all night long, you can hear people saying this is where I want to be all night...Where people really build there cars. GNRS as a whole is great! but I have to say i was pretty much in 2 halls the whole weekend, 10 and 9, you really didnt have to go anywhere else in my opinion. All in all a great show, no drama and hand shakes and hugs all weekend!! what a great showing of cars as well.
    And a special thanks to the Dead Sleds Car Club, You guys are way to much!! what a great group of fellas! thank you soooo much for noticing all my hard work I have done on my ride and presenting me with a great award.
    Thanks again Axle, words cant express what this weekend meant to me...

Buzz Bomb

26. Amazing how much time and energy you put in to this. You are a Legend for what you have accomplished and shared with everyone. It was good to meet you, and I ecstatic that I was able to experience this. Cheers!

27. Like the others have said, the thanks goes to YOU Axle. You had to be the hardest working guy at that show trying to take care of everyone's needs in not one but two buildings - and not just two buildings the BEST two buildings representing the Customs (of) Then and Now and the young (and old) builders of the current generation in the Palace.

It was Sue and I's pleasure to help out when asked to make the CTN event happen but our part was very minor compared to the efforts you and the others put in before and during the show.

We enjoyed meeting many of our customers who we wouldn't normally get to meet. Heck, we came from Mass. to Calif. to meet the Coupe Devils from Norway!

Like many others, the biggest question we have is, "How in hell's name are you ever going to top the CTN exhibit in Building #9 ??????"

We're anxiously waiting the answer;)

Dennis & Sue

28. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Yeah, really...thanks to you Axle (and your crew) for throwing such a great gig within a gig! Building 9 was awesome! And the Suede Palace was great too...don't listen to the 'haters'.

Me & a couple of other guys flew up to Oakland in '99 for the 50th anniversary. Many of the past GNRS winners as could be gathered, were assembled there in the main building. It was an awesome show to say the least!
    But, this year with the 'History of Customs' building, this show was equally impressive! Not to mention the other 'special exibits' we've had here at Pomona in the past, like the 75th anniversary of the Deuce, etc...

You've pulled it off once again! Thanx gobz!

For those who've never been to this show, don't let the (few) negative comments and complaints prevent you from coming. It's simply a must see! I only live 15 minutes away, but would gladly travel a very long way to make it to this one.

29. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Like many others, the biggest question we have is, "How in hell's name are you ever going to top the CTN exhibit in Building #9 ??????"

We're anxiously waiting the answer;)

Dennis & Sue

During the awards ceremony, John Buck mentioned something about a speed-boat exibit next year...

30. barry mazza

barry mazza

Many thanks to axle for this effort ......it was a thrill to bring the aztec back to so cal for so many people to see it one more time.
    I was thrilled to see some of those cars in person and i hope that it happens again at some point in time before we all take the "dirt nap".
    Barresse'