Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thanks To All Who Attended Viva Las Vegas 2006 !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Apr 17, 2006.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

WHEW.........we just got home. my 48 indian chief , yellow 32 truck, and our B-17 BOMB/GO-KART made it home all in one piece!

this year marked the 9th annual VLV and it was a blast! the bands were great,the dj's were awesome and non stop,the people were friendly and there to have a good time,and we're all very pleased with the car show. all in all there were approx 600 cars in attendance. a handfull less than previous years but i honestly feel the quality was 100% better. maybe less numbers = less shitboxes !?!?!?!?! seriously though, to me the car show felt like it used to be 4 or 5 years ago. there just seemed to be something in the air, a better atmosphere,a better mood, and for the most part everyone seemed to be there for a good time. we want to thank notcho and his boys for bringing out a new GIANT tiki,the road zombies for donating a favorite pick trophy, the road rockets for driving the 2000 miles from indianapolis year after year, the mcIntyre bros. for bringing out the big john mazmanian willys (fired it up every hour saturday was bitchen) , dave mock "davey deuce" and his friends for bringing out there neat ol hot rods for display, fabian,tom branch,adam and all the immortals for supporting the shifters (and our show) and bringing out thier 200 mph T streamliner,the choppers including keith weesner,the rattlers,invaders,sinners,cheqs,scoundrels,road agents, and all the other car clubs that attended. (sorry if i didn't mention you). another special thanks goes to the amazing guido and his red barron influenced hot rod,his go-karts,the flatbed truck,and his crazy antics! if any of you have never heard of guido you havent experienced life yet! and lastly, thanks to all who drove hundreds...scratch that....thousands of miles to get to viva las vegas! there were license plates from all over the u.s. and canada !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAR SHOW WINNERS.

BEST HOT ROD..........JOHNNY WALKER WITH THE HEMI POWERED GREEN DEUCE 5 WINDOW FROM COLORADO.

BEST KUSTOM.......TOPPER WITH THE CHOPPED & SECTIONED BLACK & WHITE 56 MERCURY HARD TOP FROM THE SCOUNDRELS SO-CAL. CAR CLUB.

FURTHEST DRIVEN........PIRATE ROD & CUSTOM ......DROVE ALL THE WAY FROM UPPER CONNETICUT.

ROAD ZOMBIES PICK.......THE CANADA DRY CREW FROM WHERE ELSE BUT CANADA....WITH THE RED OXIDE PRIMERED STUDEBAKER POWERED CHOPPED & CHANNELED TRUCK WITH THE 37 HUDSON GRILL.

some of my favorite moments?

1. most of you dont know about this but a handful of pals and i (including crazy guido) have been building fun themed crazy bonzai outlaw go karts for our all new "viva las vegas out law go-kart races". well, 5 of us ended up making fun karts this year and brought them for thursday nights activities. we ran these karts down the south ramp late thursday night. two of my pals and i made a kart out of a real 1000 pound B-17 bomb!...(hollowed out).
    fabian and the immortals found a kids plastic boat and made a kart out of it, (these guys even wore skipper hats) this boat sported a real propeller and car cub plaque, there was an 8 foot long skate board kart,a hot dog "wiener mobile" kart,etc,etc for the few of you that saw the races that only lasted a half hour it was a rediculous spectacle! the road rockets brought out sparklers and whistlers for me to tape to the back of our bomb . going down the hill at 20-30 mph with 4 sparklers going off was a riot! security got wind of the races and that went over like a fart in church.

2. the big john mazmanian willys and hearing that blown hemi firing up a dozen times saturday.

3. the redondos,the cleftones,the go getters,the extraordinaires,santos,and a handfull of other bands.

4. THE TIKI

5. the burlesque competition.

6. the tiki pool party.

7. the buffet at the gold coast,rio,and orleans !

again, if i left out anyone i'm sorry. i'm exhausted and finally hitting the sack....for about 2 days!

thanks again guys...you all helped to make this another huge and successful viva las vegas!

see y'all next year!

axle

2. KUDOS to you and all the folks that made the event "GREAT" like it was. See you next year, save us a spot!! Dave and Sue

3. Axle, Much thanks to you and the boys for another awesome show. I plan to drive with a couple of other Mischief Makers next year for the # 10. Thanks for the hookup man. Maybe will see you up our way this summer. Awesome job. I agree. The cars were better this year. Dale

4. Axle, sounds like the rules changes had the positive effect you were looking for. Congrats to you and the Shifters for pulling off a great show. Some day I hope to make it down there.

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Alex and Kevin pictures are awesome and I have heard everything positive, another great job again you guys and of course another one I missed. I'll be there on #10.
    P.S. dig those ladies. GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR

6. Axle,

like we told you last night in the vendor area & this morning on the way up to leave.....

THANK YOU!!

The show was great, we both really enjoyed it.

See ya next year.

Dave & Ginger

7. Godspeed

Godspeed

What a great time! I can't get the smile off of my face!:D I would go again tomorrow if the same people were there (and I had any vacation time left). Totally worth it!

Axel, great job!!! Let me know if you need any more duct tape next year (of course for the signs, not the cars)!

8. Awesome car show, flew out from Calgary and took a ton of pictures. Will hopefully be back next year.

9. Mike

Mike

VLV was great, the car show was a blast. Thanks Alex.

The security folks were a little twitchy and inconsistant at times, but that was minor. The rule changes were a success. The show returned to it's old vibe, all of the good natured fun and craziness without any of the mean spirited bullshit. Also, the qualty of the cars was definately higher. I had a helluva good time.

Thanks again Alex!

Mike (Rattlers)

10. axle

axle
    from Drag City

went to bed and crashed fot ten houirs...much needed!
    if anyone took pictures of my stuff in the shifters corral or the go-kart races please post them.
    thanks guys

11. mikaelmtb

mikaelmtb
    from Denmark

:( Didnt go this year, but went last year and planning next!!

Any links to pictures from the show?? :)

(Just checked those pictures at the hp!!) :)

12. Rocket

Rocket
    from Austin Tx

I hope to make the drive out next year. Good to hear it went better than last year. Congrats

13. Mrs a32flathead

Mrs a32flathead

Axle,

Thanks for a great show. I've only been to VLV once before, but the vibe at the car show this year was 200% better than before.

On a forum on Myspace (yeah I know...) there was a lot of bitching about the "rule changes" - mostly about not being able to hang out on the roof all weekend. Hah... it worked.. the "rule changes" kept out the vandals, hooligans and the punks who just wanted to start trouble. To those who were complaining loudly (of which NONE of them had cars in the show) I let them know that the rules were changed to better the show quality and to protect the cars.. and the show itself!

Great job Axle and crew! We're looking forward to next year!

Ginger & Dave

14. CRUZN60

CRUZN60

Axle,
    I just wanted to say thanks for the outstanding job. The rule changes made the event the best ever. The cars, vendors and people were the greatest.
    Thanks for making it all happen.
    Rest well, you deserve it.
    Mike

15. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

this was my first VLV- and it was a great show. I'd hate to have seen it in previous years! I'd say the rowdiness was kept in check fairly well. Though, might I suggest to the security guards to block all entrances and check for bands. Like, Saturday, two of them refused to let me up after 4 at one entrance, then I walked up another and there was no guard :confused: I think they got overwhelmed by all the crashers, and then got fed up and cracked down on everybody.

To be on the roof- did a car owner need to have a wristband? I was wondering why so many cars didn't make it up on the roof.
    The car show was the best car show I'd ever been to. I normally don't waste my time, but this was exactly my style, and all the cars were cool, I usually beeline up and down the aisles in 5 minutes and split, pissed off, but I really enjoyed the showing.

Great job.

16. Von Franco

Von Franco

Alex glad the show went off cool for you guys you know why i couldn`t make this year but I`ll bring the new car next year and even ol Norm if hes up for it and thanks for all the pics that every one has posted here made me feel like I was there thanks again ........

Endsville Frantic Franco.............

17. synthsis

synthsis

we had a great time and i'm going to book my trip for next year soon. the quality of cars is unmatched and you do not see stuff like that out here on the east coast. can't wait to see what next year brings.

18. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

hey Axle,

had a blast, (you know that).....working on getting the video tranfered over right now, i will send it to ya, then i will post a thread of the best event at viva this year!

VIVA LAS VEGAS SOAP BOX DERBY!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

definately a great time was had by all!!!!!

camp quido was great!!! we established camp sinners this year so we will see where it goes next year...lol

so Axle, whats the plans for next year? 10th anniversary??????????

19. Jet Fuel

Jet Fuel
    from SoCal, USA

Thank You so much Axle. Despite the limitations put on you, it all went off way better than I thought it might. Thanks for the 'free beer over at the Wheel Tramps...' mention. The guys got a kick out of it.

Seriously though, beyond putting this thing on every year, kudos to you for making your show the one most work toward all winter. I look forward, year after year, to see what innovation people spawn.

Thank You.

-JetFuel

20. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

hey, glad we could make you guys laugh in the ballroom!!! dont forget to tip yer waitress....YEEEEEAAAHH!

21. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

That was my first one, I'll be back for sure.

22. Jet Fuel

Jet Fuel
    from SoCal, USA

<crank yankers>
    "I like beer. Yaaaaay."
    </crank yankers>

Heh. Great joining you fellahs.

-JetFuel

23. axle

axle
    from Drag City

no one has pictures of the bomb kart?

24. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

im working on it axle,....the base for my digital camera got water logged on the trip back....so im going to the store in a little bit to just buy a memory card reader...lol..that way we can the fastest bomb on 4 wheels!!!!!:D

25. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

If any one hears of any video available to us poor suckers that couldn't
    make it, let us know.....PLEASE!!!!

26. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

thanks axel and all for the good time.. i was sick as all hell but i managed to be there for a bit on saturday.. sorry if i didnt meet anyone...

27. Dirk

Dirk

Did Jon Favreau show up? If so, how did his '32 look?

28. Fought a vicious wind for 645 miles to get home, all the way from the Gold Coast to my garage door in Colorado. But who cares ! The show was a blast, as usual and I wouldn't miss it for the world.

A huge " THANK YOU ! " to the Shifters and everyone who made this year's show a great success. It was wonderful seeing all the friends we've come to know over the last 7 VLV's, (we missed the first one).

Made some new aquaintances this year which I know will grow into closer ties. Shane from the AZ Invaders, and Squeak Bell just to name a couple of guys I enjoyed visiting with a great deal.

Already have the Gold Coast booked for next year, had to take a suite because they are already sold out again ! Plan on having the '40 Coupe ready for VLV 10, think good thoughts.

Johnnie.

PS; Axle, meet me in the Monterey Room, I'm hungry....again !

29. Hickey

Hickey

Was that you in the 32 woody roadster? I saw it goin up I-15 just before you pulled off the highway short of Cedar City. If that was you... Bitchen ride. :cool:

30. BadLuck

BadLuck

Great show Axle! First time for my wife and I. Wasnt able to get the 52 done in time, but will see you next year!