Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thanks Old Guys!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob Galet, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Bob Galet

Bob Galet

I just wanted to express my great feelings of gratitude to the 99.9% of you older guys for taking the time to help out younger kids like me and get us pointed in the right direction when it comes to cars. I can't count how many times I've gone to a car show and asked an older guy a question about an engine or something and not only have my question answered, but in the process I learn a ton of stuff that I never thought of! The kindness and generocity of you older guys (and gals) really helps us interested kids, and your wealth of knowledge is priceless to us! Because someday the art of leading will be lost forever, as will many other old school tricks and techniques. Keep up the support so not only can we use it, but our kids can too to keep the rodding tradition going for years to come! Thanks guys!

2. roddinron

roddinron

Well, (I'll take this one fellas) on the half of us old farts, you're welcome!;)

3. It's nice to see someone young who doesn't know everything. The older I get(50) the less I find I know. I teach high school kids about cars. Some are grateful of my knowledge, some are little punks that need an ass whoppen. Hang in there and someday you too can be an old fart:D

Mick

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Yes a great thread the guys from the day are a Godsend. Listen I might learn something.

5. So just how old is an "old guy"?

6. Nightshade

Nightshade

I love talking to the older guys and learning how they did it back when. Not saying I am really all that young but I find there is more I don't know that I thought I did and when it is pointed out I appreciate it.

I dunno about 40 and up:p

7. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

thanks , I;m enjoying the old fart lifestyle............and glad to see you young guys doin it right ,wrong or indifferent as long as they are doin it to the old cars...................:cool:

8. :rolleyes: Well.....I'm 50 & still learning stuff from "old guys" - so go figure from there! Anyone else with 2 cents to add to this? Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'm at that point, as well!
    Learned Kustom body and paint when I was in my 20's from an "old timer' who built customs in the 50's. Now I have the opportunity to pass along the knowledge to the younger generation... Keep ME young hanging with them!
    I usually have 2-3 younger guys hanging out at the shop, or working on thier projects at any time. They help me, I teach them, works out for everyone!
    Sad thing is, the guy who taught me is in a nursing home now...I'm one of the few guys who even visits him, not any of his old 'buddies' who hung out at his shop, or any of the other guys who he had working for him.

10. teddyp

teddyp

Your Right Mark It Is A Shame I Would Like To See John Myself But What I Wanted To Say Here Is Thanks To People Like Mark Who As Help Many Yound And Old [ I,m In My 60,s And I,ve Learn Alot From Mark] Keeping The Custom Movement Alive Thanks For Shareing

11. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

What! old guys,were just as young as you,just a little smarter.:D :D

12. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

At 52 I'm learning, or maybe relearning, more now than when I was young (so it seems). If you have an older, experienced guy to hang out with consider yourself lucky. It's so good to hear a young man talk about cars and express his appreciation for the hot rod community, as opposed to the ghetto and other undesireable lifestyles that is pumped into their brains every waking moment of the day. I work with a lot of young, rough guys that have so much potential but get caught up in wanting to be some type of gangster, or whatever they call it, and end up ruining their life and the lives of others around them. My advise is stay clean, stay focused, stay away from drugs and alcohol, and keep the spririt alive as the torch is passed to you. We're counting on you. Good luck!:)

13. Heck, us older guys are just thrilled that someone will talk to us.

And when it's a woman....:eek: :D :cool:

14. cbndrhsr

cbndrhsr
    from Layton, UT

Sometimes age has nothing at all to do with knowledge, as in my case. I enjoy going down to Loudpedals shop an picking his brain while he's working on my ride.He's much younger than myself, but his ability far outshines mine. We're never too old to keep learning. Just remember :" The older I get the faster I was"

15. I wish I was as smart as you are! at 64 I'm still learning.
    when I look back at my youth and think of all the "Hot Rod Legends" that I knew, worked with, and met on a daily basis when in my teens-thirties. I would give anything to ask the questions that I never did!
    I could sit here and list names of all the hero's but the one name that really hurts is Veda Orr. I never had a clue all the times I talked with that eldererly lady with so much class, she always showed an interest in my hot rods and I always shut her down before she could tell me what she had acomplished in her youth. my biggest regret.
    ask the questions and take the time to listen, everyone has a story

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

"40 and up?????"

When did I become an old guy?

17. Cycle Jock

Cycle Jock

I don't have many, but my most cherished trophy, is my Young Folks Award, I considered it a great honor for the youngsters to take the time to get involved enough to take the time to vote (espically for my toy), maybe one of those youngsters started building him/her a vehicle in a shop somewhere and not out on the streets doing what they should not do. GO Youngsters!!!

18. It all depends on your viewpoint.

To many of us, you're a young guy....:D

19. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

That's because it's easy to type on a keybaord or say what "you'd do if..." the reality of it all is that ACTIONS speak louder than words. Good for you that you still visit your buddy - we could learn from you. I bet it makes your buddy's day when you visit! Obviously YOU take the meanimg of the term "buddy" seriously. May we all be lucky enough to have a real buddy like your buddy has.

20. Having lived thru the 60's,, it's amazing some of us ol' graybeards can remember when we were kids and didn't know anything,,,,

Remember there are two kinds of people in the world,,,the people who know and the people who don't know they don't know!:confused: HUH? :D HRP

21. Git offa my goldurn lawn, you good-for-nuthin' whippersnappers!

22. Give it up gramps, it's all downhill from here.

See you over at the assisted care home, some GILFs invited us to a strip canasta party.

23. I think 30 years older is old, 50+30= no, no make that 40+ years older:D
    Anyway quick story.
    If you live in the KC area you might have seen a white bearded old guy picking up beer cans along the road (Raytown area). Well he is probably the best flyfisherman in the world (no kidding) Story goes he was at a stream one day catching fish and some punk-ass young man said"Hey old geezer what are you catching all those fish on' an Claerance said "50 year experiance" the joke is if the kid would of asked nice the old man would of taken the day and taught the kid to fish. The moral, be quick to listen, slow to speak and you'll learn alot. I'm working on that one. sorry for the spelling
    Mick

24. Mutt

Mutt

Zzzzzzzzz....

Huh? Wha.....????

Oh, yeah, thanks......er, you're welcome....uhhh

Zzzzzzzzzzz

:D

Mutt

25. Pops

Pops
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa

I enjoy sharing my limited knowledge with whomever. However, even though I'm considered one of the "old" guy, I'm never to old to learn, and I am fortunate to know several "young" guys, and not only have I learned stuff from them, most importantly, their enthusiam and freindship has renewed my enjoyment of the cars. It's a two way street.

J.

26. old beet

old beet

I'm only 65 but I'm not an old guy! Just put my parents into Assited living (91-93) they don't like it because there are too many old people around! WTF?.....OLDBEET

27. Retrorod

Retrorod

So I'm 58, not an old guy but I have several old-timers close by....like 'ol Harry who pulls up one day in a crappy metallic green '48 Ford truck (his wife's ride) and sez..."hey young'un....looky here at this radiator leak fer me". Turns out the rad cap rubber was completely gone. He couldn't get the cap off the thing so his old greasy 289 was getting hot. I stood back to look at this thing with rusted once-chrome running boards and faded beige complete stripe job......it was a real survivor. Wouldn't you know it, back on the tailgate, at the center,was Ken Howard's familiar signature! Old hot rod survivors and their owners.....kind of a quickly vanishing treasure.

28. Well ...one other thing is when you get mail from AARP (hint this sounds like but is not the nut and bolt company):eek: Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

29. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

old guys are dreamy

30. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Don't scare me like that, I'm 70 and though I was still a young guy, now you say 40 and up is an old guy. Maybe I can split my self into two 35 year olds.