Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thanks John Kelly or Shrinking Disks Rule!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Feb 3, 2009.

1. So I ordered a shrinking disk from the HAMB's own John_Kelly because the firewall on my truck had some bad spots that were quite stretched out and I wasn't sure how I was going to get them back to straight.

First off I want to say that John was great. I had the disk in less than a week and a holiday shortened week at that. The disk includes written instuctions and a DVD. Both were top notch. The DVD was brief but very informative covering what needed to be covered and explained the process perfectly.

Now to the disk. I had always heard that Shrinking disks were wonderful tools but was always a bit sceptical but no more! If you are going to be doing any sort of body work GET A SHRINKING DISC!!! They are incredible. The thing that I loved the most about it was that the process is fairly slow so it is very easy for a beginner to use without running into problems. It also means the shrinking process can be controlled and used very precisely. I had an area on my firewall that was probably 6-8" in diameter and stretrched probably 1/2" deep that I was able to pretty much eliminate in an afternoons work with it being the first time I had every used a shrinking disk. To say that I was pleased is an understatement. Unfortunately I was too excited to try my new tool to remember to take any pictures.

Needless to say I would highly recommend getting a Shrinking Disk and John_Kelly.

Thanks Again John!!!

2. Some shrinking discs have been known to explode! Just be careful and don't over heat it.

3. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Thanks Ian for the nice feedback!

Rich,

I have never seen a disc come close to exploding, and I have abused them far more than anyone else I know.

It is possible that you could run a disc that was very worn out (takes a very long time), formed a crack and then was used some more, and have something catastrophic happen, but that would be operator neglect. You would not use a grinding disc that had a chunk out of the edge either. No fault of the tool.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Thanks to this thread, I was able to grab one of these for my pop. :)

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

And since it's My dads birthday in a few days, he's sending it out today! John, you're a good guy!

6. Your dad will love it!!

7. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I don't know how I ever lived with out one.

8. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Oh, well as a matter o fact thanks to this thread and a generous hamb discount by john kelly I picked one up today as well!

I've been reading about them on h ere for forever it seems but now that I hear it has a DVD with it I can't say no!

9. A Boner

A Boner

Is the purchase info in the H.A.M.B. classifieds?

10. I just PM'd John.

11. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

John's are the best.... he put them through so much testing... they are the best there are imo....

12. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked one up from John a few months back. Very nice piece and the video had some great info on it.