Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Thanks From the Ganahl Family

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcityrodandcustom, Aug 22, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Massive Inspiration, One of the top minds of Knowledge in history of ours...
    The word "Loss".... doesn't begin to describe this tragedy.

Peace.

Jigger, Thor1, fauj and 24 others like this.
  2. Fordors

Fordors

Pat lived life to the fullest and more importantly it was a life well lived. Sure, we knew him as one of the greatest automotive journalists to ever come along but that pales in comparison to his love for Anne, the woman he chose to spend five decades with. No doubt he passed the same traits on to you Bill. Fame and fortune mean nothing if one is not a strong family man, a friend to others, and always true to what is the right thing to do.
    Thanks for the memories Pat.

3. Thanks so much for this post, Pat will be missed by hot rodders the world over.
    May peace be with you.

4. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

Bill, Anna and Sabina, I feel at ease having read your comments. Thanks for reaching out to all of us.

Thor1, 34 5W Paul, Outback and 13 others like this.
  5. Boatmark

Boatmark

Well said Bill.
    Our sincerest condolences

Thor1, alanp561, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  6. @southcityrodandcustom. I lost my dad last month so I have a pretty good idea what you are going through. We stand on their shoulders in this hot rod world. You don't know me at all but if you ever need to talk just PM me and I will get you my info. Your dad is a huge part of the hot rod world. We are all here for you and your family.

winr, Jigger, Thor1 and 16 others like this.
  7. HotRodWorks

HotRodWorks
    Alliance Vendor

We are so sorry for your loss. Please accept our condolences.

Thor1, alanp561, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  8. Rockchip

Rockchip

Hey Bill. It took a lot of courage for you to share this very personal post at a time when your loss is so fresh. Thank you. I can tell you as the parent of 3 terrific adult children, there is something special about the pride we take in the accomplishments of our kids. Your Dad is really proud right now.

Thor1, Outback, alanp561 and 12 others like this.
  9. The Rod & Custom world has lost a true writer/historian and he will be missed but the Ganahl family has lost a husband & father, God bless you. HRP

10. Bill, thank you for your response during a very hard time. So sorry for your loss.

Thor1, alanp561, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  11. DRD57

DRD57

Thanks for your response. We all feel a loss because Pat gave so much to everyone he came in contact with whether it was direct or through his written words. He was a fine human being and he will be greatly missed.

I didn't have enough contact with him to be considered close friends but, we did cross paths frequently and always had enjoyable conversations. Hearing of his passing was quite a shock to me. I can't imagine the loss felt by you, your mom, and those closest to him. You have my sincere condolences and I pray that your grief is eased somewhat by knowing how much of a positive impact Pat had on so many people around the world.

Thor1, Special Ed, Outback and 9 others like this.
  12. JRodder

JRodder
    from Joplin, MO

Back in the mid '90's I had an opportunity to spend the day with my uncle (Dick Courtney) when on a rare trip to SoCal. It was the only time I got to visit face to face with him. While there Uncle Richard said - 'let's go to the park and look at a few cars'. Turns out it was a '40 Ford Day at LaPalma Park, and there were more than a few cars! He's pointing at this one and that one, talking about who built what when a tall, lanky guy comes walking up to chat with him. After a minute I hear: 'This is my nephew', Richard says, pointing to me. The guy sticks his hand out to me and says 'Hi, I'm Pat. Glad to meet ya'. Well, like many, I had read his columns and articles since he started writing; and I had seen enough pictures to know exactly who he was. I was stunned. We chatted for a few minutes before he went to catch someone he had been looking for at the show. What a cordial, friendly, and down-to-earth person. I would have liked to have visited for hours - he'd have probably done so if he'd had the time. I would never have expected such a chance meeting - and have never forgotten it.

I got to meet and visit with a small handful of notable people through my uncle - but Pat always stood out as the guy I most wanted another chance to visit with. Like his writing, he made me feel as though I was talking to a friend I'd known for years. Fortunately, we have a mountain of his writings to enjoy - his contribution to this hobby/pastime/obsession is enormous; but we will certainly miss his voice among us. The tremendous response to such sad news throughout so many forums are a small testament to how much so many people appreciate him.

My sincerest condolences to his family.

13. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Bill- Thank you for sharing such thoughtful words about your legendary dad and the Ganahl family in this tragic time that you all must be in. Pat was such a powerful inspiration to us here at TJJ, and he left an amazing hot rod legacy that we'll all benefit from for years to come... You're right, he left us doing what he really loved to do, hot rodding, and that's something we can all hope to do as well.
    God Bless you, Anna and Sabina.

Jay Ward

Thor1, Outback, alanp561 and 14 others like this.
  14. I believe in prayer and am committed to lift you all up for comfort and healing. Your dad touched and inspired countless lives!

A life well lived is marked by the legacy that they leave. If their life continues to influence people long after they're gone, that's a win. Pat's life lives on in the words he wrote and the kindness he extended to so many people.

Jigger, Thor1, The 39 guy and 17 others like this.
  15. My condolences to you, your mom and your wife.

Thor1, alanp561, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  16. -Brent-

-Brent-

My sincerest condolences to you, your mom, and all of Pat's loved ones.

Thor1, alanp561, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  17. tractorguy

tractorguy

God bless you Bill Anna and Sabina

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

19. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perfectly expressed. Thank you for a heartfelt update and wonderful photos. All the best to you and your family.

Thor1, alanp561, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  20. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Colton.jpg
    Pat took this photo 44 years ago for his book Lost Hot Rods (2?). It was his first (and only?) trip to Colton Drag Strip. He's called me about doing a feature on the car, and when he got to my house in Colton, told me he'd never been to the drag strip. When he lived in Corona as a young teenager, he'd tried several times to ride his bicycle there but never made it. I said, "let's go!" we went over and he took this picture and others that he might use. In one, he had me burn-out thru the weeds that covered the remaining portion of the strip. A cool photo if you knew what it was. We had a grand day and had a couple of beers and tacos and cruising the roadster. Months went by and no story came out. I don't remember what publication he worked for, but he was gone. And then the story appeared written by someone else from Pat's notes I guess, but no mention that this was Pat's first trip to Colton.

That trip was just the start of a way too short friendship. I'm still dealing with the abrupt end. I read the hurt in so many others. I especially feel so sorry for his family members. It must be terrible. I am sure the'll find some solace in the words of the thousands of fans of the man's character and his professional work that so many have praised.

I can get over the absence of any future writings. I'm having a real hard time knowing I won't see my friend again.

Stan Back (Jim Kitchen)

296ardun, Thor1, alanp561 and 11 others like this.
  21. main-wire

main-wire

Some people stand out. Others are outstanding. Pat was-and will always be-both. Race In Peace.

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@southcityrodandcustom I want to offer my sympathies to you, your mom and the entire family, and my compliments on a well written piece here.

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thank you for the touching tribute. I heard the news Saturday at the "Relix Riot" and was crushed. Like so many, I never met your dad but I followed him from the beginning of his career while I was in high school, and dreamed of belonging to a hot rod club, building and driving cool old cars, and doing everything myself.
    Your dad helped me achieve ALL that, I feel as if I've lost a close friend and a pal.
    From my wife Kim and I, our deepest sympathies, and condolences on the loss of your father. Not very many people have an opportunity, like your dad, to impact and inspire so many.

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I was shocked and saddened to hear of Pat's death the other day. Unbelievable. I met him five or six times, but can't say that we knew each other well. I was very familiar with his writing, though, and share with all the others here my admiration for his knowledge and his skills. There are only a few automotive writers whose work is truly memorable, but Pat was certainly on that short list.
    Condolences to Bill and Anna, R.I.P. Pat.

25. guitarguy

guitarguy

Thank You for sharing with all of us. God Bless and take care of your family.

26. Jones St.

Jones St.

David Freiburger
    stpSdreoont 3us8a0ci4 29l6tcP15tfufhcMAcug 017a598t23gti: 1f ·

The worst. Pat Ganahl died today in an incident of unknown cause at Riverdale Raceway in his Ike Iacono dragster that he restored years ago. With Pat went an irreplaceable mind loaded with facts and contacts from the history of rods and customs. In the magazine world, Pat was on the first staff of Street Rodder and became the editor, he worked for Sunset mag, then was hired onto Hot Rod where he eventually became the editor with the second-shortest tenure, and he later revived Rod & Custom magazine before leading Rodders Journal. He wrote many books and freelance stories about our hobby, and he maintained a huge inventory of vintage photos. Pat can be credited with popularizing the nostalgia drag racing movement in the ‘80s. He was the first person I knew personally who painted his own cars—well. He restored the dragster and built a number of VWs, fat Chevys, drag cars, and hot rods including the Nitti-inspired roadster in the first pic. He drove the yellow F1 everywhere. As far as I last knew, he only drove old cars. He inspired me before I ever knew him, but now I have more Ganahl publishing stories than will fit in this space. Here’s the one that most affected my life. In 1991 I had a job interview with Jeff Smith and Pat Ganahl simultaneously, Jeff for Hot Rod and Pat for Rod & Custom. Pat later said that he told Jeff, “if you don’t hire him, I will.” Jeff did, and hence my whole career. Ganahl mentored me along the way and enjoyed causing me just a bit of trouble. I’m one of many 100s of thousands of people who gathered knowledge, entertainment, and inspiration from Pat Ganahl. Godspeed, and much sadness for his wife Anna and son Bill.

Joe Troilo, Thor1, nosford and 7 others like this.
  27. Amazing tribute that a man could touch so many despite not meeting them. We all should strive to live a life like Pat did.

Thor1, Outback, alanp561 and 4 others like this.
  28. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Cool guy.
    A lot of history.
    A loss for all.

Thor1, alanp561, warbird1 and 5 others like this.
  29. sshep

sshep

Thank you for your post. My deepest condolences to you and your family for their loss. It is obvious by the stories posted how deeply respected your Dad was. I hope that hearing these stories and being surrounded by family and friends can bring you some level of comfort during this most difficult and painful time.